Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeEC View Post
I lived in Wantagh my whole life. They are nasty and snobby people who i doubt would be welcoming of anyone outside, white, black, hispanic or otherwise. My family moved from Elmont to Wantagh when i was 5 years old and we were snubbed from the beginning. We had a black lady move on our block a few years back and that was the buzz on our block and everyone seemed to be up in arms. Honestly, i can't stand the town and am so glad i moved out and am in a more friendly and welcoming place. Your better off moving somewhere else.
I dont want to be racist but to be honest the white ppl are less racist than the blacks here in the LI area several times if u are stranded some ppl may give u a ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:59 AM

12 posts, read 24,776 times
We just moved out of Howard Beach (Queens) which is a very racial area. I grew up in Nassau County (south shore) so I never witnessed such extreme racism in my life. However - many of my neighbors would always say how "they" were the only ones on the block who did what "they" wanted... and I am NOT racist - but, it was true.. minorities would park in the fire hydrant (potentially risking the safety of the entire block - what if a fire occurred on the block and the fire house could not be properly hooked up?).. they would throw garbage ALL over the lawn (we witnessed on nearly a daily basis - walking to their cars or up-down the block for whatever reason and throwing beer bottles or candy wrappers in the street), throw loud obnoxious parties - guests would block every other houses' driveways, screaming and throwing trash on our lawns...

As for Wantagh - I have known the area to be predominantly white. However, the year is 2011 and I do not think anyone should worry about race wars happening. Yes, it is still a "fact of life". However - if we all treat our neighbors with the respect and care we would want ourselves - you shall avoid a problem. The minorities on my block in Howard Beach threw themselves into a fire. They must have known the historical facts of racism that still dwell (strongly) within Howard Beach. THEN, they treated the block, neighborhood, and neighbors with little respect - having acted as if they owned the place and we deserved trash on our lawns. I was disgusted with the way they acted and kept their property. It was not about race (but to my neighbors - it was). We wound up moving 2-months ago (back to Nassau) and that was one of the factors in our decision making. I was disgusted that we had to pay $200/month for a driveway parking spot - and they would park in the hydrant spot for over 2 YEARS WITHOUT A TICKET! Do ya know what would happen if I parked in that spot?!? Instantly get a parking ticket!!!!

And qjbusmaster is 100% correct... Whites are less racist (80% of the time). A lot of the times I will receive lovely comments from blacks - usually something hinting at how I owe them something, they deserve MY respect... No one gets respect - respect is gained and deserved... If you act like a jerk, I treat you like a jerk. I don't care if you are white, black, yellow, purple, or green...

Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM

257 posts, read 750,961 times
Yes, Wantagh is undoubtably known as a real "white bread" kinda town. That being said as a 26 year resident of the town, I can tell you that I don't think your family will be shunned in any way. In fact my son's best friend in school has almost the same ethnic background as your family; and come to think of it he has two kids in his class of Indian decent. While certainly still the minority, I would recommend Wantagh to anyone for a number of reasons. Please don't hesitate to DM me with any specific questions.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,327 times
Why can’t people mind their own business? There are so many trashy, nosy, and even nasty people out there. They just have to be all up in your business trying to figure things out about you.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,100 times
there are nasty people and nice people anywhere you go. an Indian family I am friends with lived in Wantagh until recenty and they were happy there. We went there for playdates and the neighbors were all nice, we went trick or treating with them through the neighborhood so I know most of the area was white but I never heard any bias problems. I know the reason they left Wantagh and it was not because of any problems.

True, there is a high population of Indian families in Hicksville but most of the Indian families I am friends with live in different towns without incident.

The only Guyanes couple I new lived in Hoboken and were city slickers rather than suburban family types. Sorry I don't have any more personal experience to offer.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Even though they were Jewish, culturally Sephardic Jews are quite different than their Ashkenazi brethren.
And many (though not all) Sephardim actually look dark enough to pass as Arabs or Hispanics (stereotypically.....contrary to it I've known both Arabs and Latinos who looked "white" enough that I only knew of their heritage via their last name or because they told me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Persian Jews are not Sephardic. They are Persian Jews, and they are culturally different from Ashkenazic, Sephardic and Mizrachic Jews.
My above statement goes for Persian and Mizrachim as well (though I always assumed Persian Jews are Mizrachi since I thought the term meant Jews originating from Middle Eastern countries and environs.....I know even in Israel the Mizrachim are often "erroneously" called Sephardim because their religious and cultural rituals are very close to the Sephardic rite and very distant from the Ashkenazi one).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 07-09-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM

14 posts, read 25,263 times
unless he was a professional sports player or movie star, then the white man would be worrying about while he was at work is his wife trying to find out if the rumors about black men are true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I can only assume that your neighbors are making no judgment about your wife's ethnicity but I can be reasonably certain that if a black family moved into some areas of the SouthShore they are not going to be welcomed with open arms.

Be realistic here.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforlife54 View Post
No one gets respect - respect is gained and deserved... If you act like a jerk, I treat you like a jerk. I don't care if you are white, black, yellow, purple, or green...
Funny, I'm just the opposite. I give EVERYONE respect. If they act like a jerk, they no longer get my respect.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
I dont want to be racist but to be honest the white ppl are less racist than the blacks here in the LI area several times if u are stranded some ppl may give u a ride.
Blacks aren't more racist.

If anything Blacks generally are more open about their racism while Whites are generally more "PC" about their racism and are more 'beat-around-the-bush' and 'hide-online' types; so that helps create the illusion that blacks are more racist.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-11-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM

95 posts, read 315,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Blacks aren't more racist.

If anything Blacks generally are more open about their racism while Whites are generally more "PC" about their racism and are more 'beat-around-the-bush' and 'hide-online' types; so that helps create the illusion that blacks are more racist.

I agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island