Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM

99 posts, read 272,774 times

Advertisements

Miller place is a nice place to live, but if you are commuting to the city it is a long way, and the taxes are extremely high. Since you are looking at westchester too I believe you may be looking to commute. The train from Port Jefferson is about 5-10 mins away via car, and runs not that frequently and takes 2 hours to reach Penn Station. The train from Ronkonkoma will be about 30 minutes away via car and takes 1:10 - 1:30 hours depending if it is express or not. So you are looking at a 2 hour each way commute. I live in Port Jefferson nearby and like it, but I would not live here if I were commuting to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Miller Place....

Married with kids....nice!

Single and want nightlife...sucks!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Miller Place....

Married with kids....nice!

Single and want nightlife...sucks!
Good point Rocs

Some people like sleepy.

Quick ride to Port Jeff though.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Please ignore Bruce..he is at loggerheads with Crooks and doesn't approve of Rocky Point. As an indifferent observer...I live in Axe Body Spray Country...I can say, with no hesitation, that MP and RP are fine areas and I wouldn't hesitate to move there. Of course, I still prefer the Axe Body Spray Zone of Long Island....after all, we do have All American Burger.

and Big Chief Lewis.

Now Im jonesing for AAB.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Ever try to get in one of those small bars in PJ around 10 pm on a saturday night? Lines are 5 deep at the bar! Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good point Rocs

Some people like sleepy.

Quick ride to Port Jeff though.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
Funny b/c I am also looking in that area ! I have a friend who lives there, she loves it ! but her taxes are 15k !!! The down falls I feel are : 1/2 day kindergarten and you do not have a choice on am or pm, no UPK, no special services (speech, ot, pt) unless you fight tooth & nail for them and still there is no guarantee and the taxes are so high !!!! I am also considering shoreham/wading river but the taxes and the schools really need alot of updating and I do not think they have the money for it. Rocky point is looking real promising to me...they have full day kindergarten, UPK, from what i hear they have tons of programs to offer. Mt Sinai is also nice. Can you see that I am totally undecided LOL but leaning towards RP. The only down fall (no pun intended) is it's very hilly in areas and I have 4 young children and I really want a piece of property we can utilize. I will be following this thread to get more info ! good luck and we just may be neighbors one day
Districts IMHO

Schools

1)Mt Sinai
2)Miller Place (except for elementary, Special Ed and UPK/ RP is awesome)
3)Rocky Point.

Aesthetics

1)Miller Place
2)Mt Sinai
3)Rocky Point

Value(Housing/Taxes)

1)Rocky Point
2)Mt Sinai
3)Miller Place

Ive excluded SWR due to the current SD mess.

I have family in 2 out of 3 so feel free to DM me with Questions.

We love Rocky Point but Miller Place is awesome too.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Ever try to get in one of those small bars in PJ around 10 pm on a saturday night? Lines are 5 deep at the bar! Sucks!
Agreed.

And dont be driving out.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
and Big Chief Lewis.

Now Im jonesing for AAB.
and here I am with a day off and ready to head out to Rocky Point this evening..I could be a nice guy and deliver some AAB to your house but I doubt they would make it that far before I would eat them.

There is always JR steak for you....of course you will have to deal with the Nascar/Walmart crowd to get seating there.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and here I am with a day off and ready to head out to Rocky Point this evening..I could be a nice guy and deliver some AAB to your house but I doubt they would make it that far before I would eat them.

There is always JR steak for you....of course you will have to deal with the Nascar/Walmart crowd to get seating there.
Y' lucky bastid.

BTW have you taken your girl to Sweets of the Spoon yet?

Crooks

Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
That's why you have to start drinking earlier!

3:46 -- who wants to meet me at Tara?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island