Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
LOL, while everything is cordial so far, no way this thread makes it 10 pages without getting locked prior to that,

With that being said I think the bigger issue is pensions and some of the administrative costs and salaries rather than teachers pay.
Exactly!

They can have their 21st Century rate of pay.

However, they cannot ALSO have 1950s union "worker bee" lifestyle: pensions with a guaranteed rate of return, benefits (not just throughout employment but FOR LIFE for them and their dependents) and "you have to kill someone to get fired" job security at the same time.

Either you're "white collar professionals" or you're needy union members. Make up your minds.

Sorry, the party's over! I love her to death, but look what this person admitted:

//www.city-data.com/forum/7840483-post22.html

Quote:
I have pretty good insurance from my teachers' pension (sorry) and I have never paid a single penny for any dentistry
That time has passed. We cannot continue to guarantee benefits like this for life anymore.

The taxpayers of NYS cannot afford it. The private sector has proven it cannot be afforded even with PROFIT MAKING COMPANIES, so why do they think they can perpetuate this into eternity on the backs of the taxpayers?

I guess nobody wants to pay attention to the fact that our financial situation in this state is extremely dire.

Well, I am here to point out that the emperor has no clothes and the taxpayers cannot afford to buy him more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,734 times
I_LOve_LI,,,
when you went to vote no yesterday, did you have a choice as to your pick for the school board?

In Lindenhurst, there were three UNOPPOSED candidates. So three people currently AGREEING to give the teachers and administrators these benefits can continue to AGREE to give the unions the lavish deals.

I can agree that the system is broken, but how can it be complained about when no one is willing to make the change? If it really bothered people I think there would have been more names for us to choose.

But another contract will get approved for business as usual because we have the same people on the board. No one cared enough to get involved.

P.S. page 2 of 10

Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I_LOve_LI,,,
when you went to vote no yesterday, did you have a choice as to your pick for the school board?

In Lindenhurst, there were three UNOPPOSED candidates. So three people currently AGREEING to give the teachers and administrators these benefits can continue to AGREE to give the unions the lavish deals.

I can agree that the system is broken, but how can it be complained about when no one is willing to make the change? If it really bothered people I think there would have been more names for us to choose.

But another contract will get approved for business as usual because we have the same people on the board. No one cared enough to get involved.

P.S. page 2 of 10
We had some unopposed candidates also.

I think a lot of people know their property taxes are too high and rising, yet don't understand why they are so high and that's why there is not enough interest in school board makeup.

One of the main reasons Suozzi lost re-election in the Nassau County exec. race was because people thought he was responsible for the high property taxes, yet he has absolutely no control over the largest portion of the money, which goes directly to school districts and is solely under the control of the superintendents and school boards.

The more people know what is really causing our property taxes to be so high and to keep climbing, the better off the taxpayers will be.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

One of the main reasons Suozzi lost re-election in the Nassau County exec. race was because people thought he was responsible for the high property taxes, yet he has absolutely no control over the largest portion of the money, which goes directly to school districts and is solely under the control of the superintendents and school boards.
Agreed, Its like the President, (s)he gets blamed when the economy goes sour and praise when its booming while the position has little control over the economy. Think, was Clinton really an economic genius or was he just in the right place at the right time?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,671 times
Garden City delivered a message to its teachers...that's for sure. I'm sure their Facebook accounts are on fire today LOL

Party is over!

Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Garden City delivered a message to its teachers...that's for sure. I'm sure their Facebook accounts are on fire today LOL

Party is over!
It depends.

Are teachers in GC getting let go or losing pay/benefits due to the budget being voted down?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It depends.

Are teachers in GC getting let go or losing pay/benefits due to the budget being voted down?
Some are being let go.

Of course they can't lose pension and benefits - that's outside of Garden City's control.

However, the adminisitrators agreed to no pay raise next year (BEFORE the budget failed) and the teachers' contracts are up for negotiation this year. We sent a message.

I've also never seen a budget vote like this one this year - they rolled out the red carpet for voters, I guess they thought it would change your vote not to have to park 3 miles away like you usually do on vote day.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Some are being let go.

Of course they can't lose pension and benefits - that's outside of Garden City's control.

However, the adminisitrators agreed to no pay raise next year (BEFORE the budget failed) and the teachers' contracts are up for negotiation this year. We sent a message.

I've also never seen a budget vote like this one this year - they rolled out the red carpet for voters, I guess they thought it would change your vote not to have to park 3 miles away like you usually do on vote day.
You're right.

I meant losing out on their contract negotiations, but silly me, that has nothing to do with the budget the taxpayers get to vote on anyway.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
So my SIL is a teacher and all her teaching buddies are posting on her FB account about how the school district passed the budget. I was then told teachers on LI don't "make all that much" after someone wondered why taxpayers are voting against the budgets.. after all its "for the children".

I'm posting the percentages of teachers making 6-figure salaries now.
Teaching is a great part time job. And when you do work, you're off at 2:45 pm.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 PM

213 posts, read 703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Some are being let go.

I love what happen in GC although I'm sure it was tough for those parents to pull the no lever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island