Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times

Advertisements

Maybe I've been watching too much TV, but well on TV it seems common for people to just move to LA. Now how common is it really for people to just randomly move there and how many people actually make it when they move here? Well, to me it seems like just about no one could make it by randomly moving unless they have a good job lined up or they have tons of money saved up. It seems to me it would be near impossible, though maybe it really isn't that hard even though it's really expensive? Im just wondering, Im not moving here or anything, just waondering.

Also, how common is it for kids to go to school in LA out of state who don't really have any money saved up and don't really have money from their parents? Either a University or community college? And how well do they generally do? Or is it rare for this to happen..?
Just wondering, Im not moving here or anything, just wondering how people with just about nothing make it in expensive places like LA. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:41 PM

425 posts, read 958,720 times
I'm not from LA, so I would not know first hand. However being from NYC, I see people "randomly" move here alot and as with anything, some do better then others. I am of the mind set, if you want something, you gotta really want it and you have to givve 100% to your goal. Those who do that tend to rise above and do well for themselves, regardless of if it is New York, Los Angeles or Des Moines.

Thats just my 10 cents of opinion, and the L.A. locals would be better suited to give you there take.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Maybe I've been watching too much TV, but well on TV it seems common for people to just move to LA. Now how common is it really for people to just randomly move there and how many people actually make it when they move here? Well, to me it seems like just about no one could make it by randomly moving unless they have a good job lined up or they have tons of money saved up. It seems to me it would be near impossible, though maybe it really isn't that hard even though it's really expensive? Im just wondering, Im not moving here or anything, just waondering.

Also, how common is it for kids to go to school in LA out of state who don't really have any money saved up and don't really have money from their parents? Either a University or community college? And how well do they generally do? Or is it rare for this to happen..?
Just wondering, Im not moving here or anything, just wondering how people with just about nothing make it in expensive places like LA. Thanks
There is no true answer to your questions: no, it isn't any more common for kids from out of state to come to Ca for college than for those in Ca to decide to try out of state. There are lots of kids, with parents help that do choose out of state, even with the high tuition. As for the CC thing we have seen pop up in the past few days. No, it isn't all that common.

My guess, 90% of those who come here and ask about moving to Ca, especially the very young ones never really come. They would love to, but mainly they are curious. All of us had ideas and dreams at 17 or 18. Most of us were not able to fulfill them and eventually came back to reality.

Do they make it when they come with no money, no jobs etc? Who knows, most of them are not ever going to come back and say, damn, you were right, I should have listened. That is hard for all of us, but for kids, it is even harder. As old as I am, I do remember being 17, 18 or even 21. Then I got married and I don't remember anything after that..

Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Here is what I know; after highschool many NorCal kids who don't have any firm college plans go there to "attend community college" while living with a bunch of friends in a cheap apartment financed by mom and dad and odd jobs. Then they come home when the lease is up. That is REALLY common! Not just LA but SB and SD too. Anything to get away from home I think.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
What do you mean by "make it?"

I moved to LA from Boston about 10 years ago. Got a job, an apartment, etc...

It was just like moving anywhere, really. I didn't have any problems, although the job market wasn't as bad as it was now. Plus, I had about $5K in the bank when I moved.

I find it interesting that people really only refer to "making it" in regards to LA, and sometimes NYC. You'd never say "Did you make it in Austin/Boston/Duluth?"

Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Who moves to Duluth?

Old 07-26-2010, 02:29 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Who moves to Duluth?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
I once tried randomly moving by spinning a globe, and then moving to wherever my finger stopped. Things did not work out particularly well for me, and in retrospect, it was probably not a good idea. I do not recommend the random moving approach to choosing a location at which to reside.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Who moves to Duluth?
Touche, Fontucky. Touche.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I once tried randomly moving by spinning a globe, and then moving to wherever my finger stopped. Things did not work out particularly well for me, and in retrospect, it was probably not a good idea. I do not recommend the random moving approach to choosing a location at which to reside.
I did the same thing. Do you know how long it takes to drive to Pitcairn Islands? Do you? That was a disaster from the start. Next time I am taking a boat. LOL

Oh well now I know the benefit of a well thought out plan. Hope others would take this advice and start with a plan. It is ok for 18 year olds to move to Southern California on their own. I have no problem with it. Many have done it and are doing well. Others have lived to tell the tale. The differance between the two is the use of a good plan of action. Taking advice from this forum is one tool that you can use. Others are available for your use.

Some things to remember:

It cost a lot to attend school here if you are from out of state. If you just have to attend then maybe try spending a year working in the state first and establishing residency. Or attend a community college for a year, it will still cost you but not as much as a Cal State school.

See about getting a job before you get here.

It cost a lot for a place. you may need to rent a room or share a place with someone else. I know in Buckwheat Ohio places may rent for $250 a month, well out here it can cost 5 X that. No offence to those from Ohio, just thought it sounded cool. Ok, now your going to tell me that such a place exists and it is similar to Bel Air. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: