Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
i walk 4 miles per hour. that is almost jogging speed. it's so bad that i have to walk in the street because the people on the sidewalks at NYC speed are too slow for me. i was in LA for one day but can't remember anything other than seeing some actor people in costumes at that chinese theater. then some stores were hawking souvenirs. i also couldn't find a train or bus station. i had come in a tour bus from anaheim (was there for work for a few days).
There is a train station literally 600 feet from the Grauman's Theater. It's sort of huge too, I don't see how you could miss it. http://goo.gl/maps/0co84

Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
BarcelonaFan...did it ever amaze you how most in Texas found it to be the end-all-be-all? Like those things you mentioned "strong conservatism, traditionalism and systematic racism" NEVER once crossed their minds?

And if it was ever brought up - it was instantly dismissed as false, or they'd say you must be "bitter"? Those are types in my opinion are significantly more insufferable than the most annoying Silverlake hipster. They are also by far the majority, in the midwest at least.

I've always been amazed by how the midwest is like that. Even the slightest thing you dare bring up you dislike, they will tell you that you are so wrong and have no idea. Usually something like that. It's this level of fanaticism those regions have that can be very impressive.
Yes, Texans think that their culture and their way of doing things is the right state of mind to be in and the correct way of doing things. Everywhere else is literally "weird". Everything is "weird" or "gay" to them.

So there is a very annoying stubborn attitude there that just irked me to no end. But then again you come to LA and it's just the same annoying attitude among some (mostly hispters, yipsters, industry folk, etc.). They basically just assert (through sarcasm of course) their way of life because it's what established in pop culture, fashion, music, film, etc. To go against it is literally "living under a rock". Southerners and especially Texans tend to be "anti-establishment" but in such a perverse right wing conservative way that it just seems like they reject anything liberal for the hell of it. It's literally being reactionary "punk rawk".

Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 11,513 times
From what I'be heard they're two of the worst places to live in the world.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknowwhat View Post
If you hate big cities. Another person could say these are the two best cities to live in.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknowwhat View Post
TX and CA, or TX and LA, or TX and LA-Silverlake?

Well from a sub-section of the people represented in LA and TX yes, this can get quite frustrating. You basically go from one group of people who are adament about Coca Cola to another group of people who are adament about Pepsi. But at least the former is based off of retaining an element of the 'man of the wild' tradition, i.e. learning survival skills, basic mechanics, useful stuff, while the other is just leeching off the work of others and lambasting people for not hearing about XYZ or being hip enough to know about XYZ.

There is an element which I love in CA though and it's the liberal organic farmer/hiker types who are into farming and some even in hunting, fishing their own food. They don't do it with the same sort of boorish pride that Texans or Southerns employ.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:44 PM

Damn, IDon'tKnowWhat was talking about LA and NY and I just went into another rant for nothing. LOL Typical right?

To answer that question they're two big cities that are some of the best places to live in. I mean of course if you dislike big cities then they're not going to appeal to most.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I'm looking forward to my NY trip this summer more and more. I was in both LA and NY last summer, made for a fun comparison.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yes, Texans think that their culture and their way of doing things is the right state of mind to be in and the correct way of doing things. Everywhere else is literally "weird". Everything is "weird" or "gay" to them.

So there is a very annoying stubborn attitude there that just irked me to no end. But then again you come to LA and it's just the same annoying attitude among some (mostly hispters, yipsters, industry folk, etc.). They basically just assert (through sarcasm of course) their way of life because it's what established in pop culture, fashion, music, film, etc. To go against it is literally "living under a rock". Southerners and especially Texans tend to be "anti-establishment" but in such a perverse right wing conservative way that it just seems like they reject anything liberal for the hell of it. It's literally being reactionary "punk rawk".
Think of all the yuppies/hipsters in the major Texas cities. They may actually be more annoying (it's just that you have to look for it more since they aren't as common), a lot of it is usually overcorrection for being from somewhere not known to be impressive. The same way 'thugs' in the midwest think they're more ghetto than anyone. Then you those in Texas who want to prove Texas is as liberal as NYC & LA, when it's not. They are gonna break the stereotypes and if you disagree, then you are ignorant. They set the bar for "insufferable" in my opinion.

The average thug in Des Moines or Omaha, thinks he's way more of a thug than a legit shot-caller OG Crip from Compton. I've noticed this formula can applied to yuppies, artists, hipsters, basically anyone who strongly identifies with a particular group.

Last edited by moonsparkle; 04-11-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
There is a train station literally 600 feet from the Grauman's Theater. It's sort of huge too, I don't see how you could miss it. Google Maps
Because he was more concerned about maintaining his Gotham-esque walking speed than paying attention.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
TX and CA, or TX and LA, or TX and LA-Silverlake?

Well from a sub-section of the people represented in LA and TX yes, this can get quite frustrating. You basically go from one group of people who are adament about Coca Cola to another group of people who are adament about Pepsi. But at least the former is based off of retaining an element of the 'man of the wild' tradition, i.e. learning survival skills, basic mechanics, useful stuff, while the other is just leeching off the work of others and lambasting people for not hearing about XYZ or being hip enough to know about XYZ.

There is an element which I love in CA though and it's the liberal organic farmer/hiker types who are into farming and some even in hunting, fishing their own food. They don't do it with the same sort of boorish pride that Texans or Southerns employ.
I'm really not trying to be rude but... You have a lot to learn about Southern California. I mean this kind of thing makes me laugh - Sometimes I think you are trapped in a Jud Apatow movie. There are plenty of people in Southern California who fit your description of this "man of the wild" thing to a "T", for some reason the place in the LA area that comes to mind first is the South Bay or the Inland Empire. California is famous for its car culture, and tune-ups, modifications and repair jobs are all part of that

Maybe these types aren't exactly in LA, but are debutante's husbands in Dallas fixing up their old Chevy too?

Branching further out from LA these types of people become more and more common. And most of them aren't hippies or organic types, but red-blooded 'Mericans. I'm from the area near Solvang (I mention it because I know you went there), and just about everyone I grew up with hunted, fished and fixed their own car (of course we are kind of out in the sticks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles