Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is LA Live worth seeing?
Yes! 8 53.33%
No! 2 13.33%
If you have extra time to kill and can fit into schedule 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,071,399 times

Advertisements

Hello Californians!

I visit California a lot, every once a year and sometimes twice I visit it. Its getting to that time again (Thanksgiving) where I visit it.
I have seen California either every Thanksgiving or Winter Break/New Years one of the two for the past 4 years. Visiting my cousin in the Bay Area is something that I do a lot, and we normally go down Southern California for the rest of vacation to enjoy. Northern California I have seen a lot more, so we generally don't want to repeat the same things haha and want to see something new.

But anyways, I am not posting this in the Los Angeles forum because I wanted to get straight responses from people all over California, like San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, Oakland, Bakersfield, Sacramento, & San Francisco.

I have been wanting to see LA Live for a long time now, and I love love love Los Angeles a lot. Would you say that LA Live is worth seeing?

What are some other cool places I can see in Southern California in general. I also love San Diego a lot too.

I like beaches, mountains, trees, everything basically. I normally have fun with anything and or everything. Can I go snowboarding anywhere nearby? So that way I will know if I can bring my board or not.

Thank you in advance everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,182,481 times
I've never seen L.A. live, but here is the website for it.

L.A. LIVE | Homepage

Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Hollywood. Los Angeles, California.

in San Diego there are also lots to do, I am not sure what you are into, so here's a calender of events for November and a site that has what you can do all the time

San Diego Events - Calendar of Upcoming Events in San Diego | Concerts | Entertainment | SANDIEGAN.com | SAN DIEGAN | San Diego Restaurants, Coupons, Attractions, Hotels

San Diego Visitor Information

Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 AM

I'm into just about everything.

But the things I like to do the most, golf, hiking, swimming, kayaking, water skiing, going to the beach, snowboarding, seeing a great sunset over the beach (I love coastal cities). I like to play basketball, I like to go to bars, I like to enjoy the nightlife.

I know I can find an over abundance of those things straight up in Southern California, the place is rich with outdoor activity. More so than anywhere else I've been too.

I would also like to see some cool cultural stuff. Is the Chinatown in Los Angeles nice? I know San Diego will be fun for me, I always have a great time there. Outdoor activities.

Basically anything can interest me, I'm very open to new things, and very open to new suggestions about anything.

Thank you for the links, I will check these out and do a compilation of some other stuff I can pair these with for a day activity.
I am looking forward to LA Live as well. Looks very polished and promising.

Thank you for the info! I love spending time in Southern California, no place like it.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,851,484 times
Where are you from, Chicago?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Where are you from, Chicago?
Yeah Chicago & Houston. I still live in both, split time between them throughout the year.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:05 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,851,484 times
Being that you are from Chicago, I don't think I'd necessarily go to LA Live unless it is convenient related to something else you are doing. I doubt you will find it any more impressive in its urbanity than The Loop. They do have a cool electronic Christmas tree during the holidays though...

Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Being that you are from Chicago, I don't think I'd necessarily go to LA Live unless it is convenient related to something else you are doing. I doubt you will find it any more impressive in its urbanity than The Loop. They do have a cool electronic Christmas tree during the holidays though...
Haha don't be so quick to judge! I love spread out cities more than dense urban ones. Low to moderate traffic is what I like. I am more concerned about LA Live's looks and aesthetics than about how many people are there.
Is it interesting to see it? Like is it a unique thing to see in Los Angeles, or worth the time?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,390,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Haha don't be so quick to judge! I love spread out cities more than dense urban ones. Low to moderate traffic is what I like. I am more concerned about LA Live's looks and aesthetics than about how many people are there.
Is it interesting to see it? Like is it a unique thing to see in Los Angeles, or worth the time?
I think its only worth the time if you really have nothing else to see.

I still haven't been there yet because parking around there costs so much money. I know I could always take the blue line there, but I just haven't had the time lately.

I know there's a Sports Bar in there that people tell me to check out, but I can always go to some in Hollywood for that.

It's a good start to try to densify downtown, but it still has a long way to go.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I think its only worth the time if you really have nothing else to see.

I still haven't been there yet because parking around there costs so much money. I know I could always take the blue line there, but I just haven't had the time lately.

I know there's a Sports Bar in there that people tell me to check out, but I can always go to some in Hollywood for that.

It's a good start to try to densify downtown, but it still has a long way to go.
Agreed.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,402,438 times
If you plan to attend a Lakers or Clippers game then it would be worth hanging out at LA Live. The concerts or television shows at Nokia are fun. Otherwise it is basically some restaurants & sports bars [also ESPN's West Coast studios are there]. If you are spending the day downtown like at the Music Center\ Disney Hall or museum then it is a short subway ride to LA Live.

As far as snowboarding, it depends on how cold it gets in the mountains. Sometimes it is too warm to make snow at resort levels in November if there aren't any storms. A good day can be spent at the beach in Santa Monica but it is too cold to swim during winter. I visited the old Getty Villa museum several weeks ago; it is right across the highway from the beach and it was a great day including swimming near a school of dolphins just offshore. If you like museums then the Getty in Westwood is well worth the visit since just the view itself is incredible. Also the Griffith Observatory is fun. All these places are free.

The Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon or Chelsea Lately shows are every night [Monday-Friday] and free also. On Friday's there's Bill Maher's show plus a lot of other live television talent or game shows. But sometimes you have to wait in line for hours to get in.

In Pasadena there is the Santa Anita horse racing track during winter and UCLA footballs games at the Rose Bowl. Hiking up in the San Gabriel mountains above Pasadena is great as well as the Santa Monica Mts above Malibu. If you have the time, drive over to Palm Springs to see the incredible Joshua Tree National Forest or take the tram up to Mt San Jacinto for snow fun. It is warm enough to swim and play golf anytime during winter.

There really are a lot of things to do in and around Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles