Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times

Advertisements

Maybe this will help

iFlyLAX.com: LAX Air Traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
Flights into LAX almost always approach from the East and takeoff to the west with only a couple of exceptions. This is true no matter the origin of the flight. Inbound flights from the Pacific will overshoot LA and then turn around to make the approach from the East.

For your incoming flights, they will approach in almost a straight line to the east from at least 15 miles out. Once you're next to downtown, they will fly parallel to the 105 freeway (which terminates on the south border of LAX) and basically follow it from downtown because the 105 is a little to the left, almost directly under the approach path. Prior to downtown, you will most likely be flying directly over the San Gabriel valley. It's doubtful you're going to be able to spot Angel Stadium. The Staples Center is in downtown LA and usually easily spotted, especially since the logo is on the roof. Again, sit on the right side of the plane. Forget about Angel Stadium.

Outgoing AA flights generally turn southward and come in over Orange County to head towards DFW. You might spot Angel Stadium but it's anyone's guess as to which side of the plane. Outgoing flights have less of a predictable pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
A week later, I'll be flying from Sydney back to LAX (arriving early in the morning PST),
If the original poster is landing at LAX is the middle of the night, he may be landing from the ocean to the east rather than the from the east; This due to noise abatement. Also, is the Hollywood sign illuminated all night? Even if he was landing from the east at night, the sign might not be illuminated past a certain hour?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
i don't have any official times, but when i used to live in playa del rey and go for runs before work, i would see all flights come in from the pacific up until maybe 6am or 7am. because this would require departures to take off to the east, i'm guessing there were no departures before these hours.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,901,199 times
As a past very frequent flyer and a close resident to LAX I'll weigh in.

I don't know the exact time at night that arrivals turn around, probably after midnight. From that time until about 6:30am flights land from the west. There are cargo flights that still take off to the west in the very early morning hours.

Flights will also land from the west in the rainy season if the winds are coming from the east.

US flights to the east depart over the ocean and, as someone mentioned, do a 180 and fly almost directly back over LAX headed east. Exceptions are commuter flights headed to San Diego, Northern California and pacific southwest.

You will NOT see Anaheim Stadium if you are flying into LAX.

You can very easily see, from the right side of the plane headed west (if you know where you're looking), the Rose Bowl, Dodger Stadium, Downtown and the Hollywood sign if visibility permits. To the south (left side of the plan) You can spot the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Catalina Island and, if you're lucky and quick, the Queen Mary down in Long Beach.

If you're landing early morning coming from down under, you'll see nothing but darkness and water.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
I once spotted the Hollywood Bowl sign as well as the Staples sign prior to landing at LAX ... Not sure which direction the plane was going as I forgot which location I flew from ... Was neat seeing those signs up in the air.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i would see all flights come in from the pacific up until maybe 6am or 7am. because this would require departures to take off to the east
I think that is normally the case but LAX is one of the exceptions. I am pretty sure in the middle of the night (and before 6AM), planes take off heading west and land heading east. Probably not during IFR conditions but I'm pretty sure it is still done.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 AM

261 posts, read 944,310 times
Question HHhmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
I'm traveling to the Los Angeles area for the first time in my life this December. I'll be flying American Airlines from DFW straight to LAX.

From which directions do planes usually land and take off at LAX?

I really want to get a good glimpse of the Hollywood sign and all the beaches during the plane's approach to the airport and/or during the plane's take-off from the airport.

Do you think I'll be able to spot these sights as my flight descends/takes off? If so, which side of the plane should I be seated in?

I would like everyone to ponder air safety. Is it possible that sharing every detail on what a flight, as described above, would be like including weather and the possible position of the sun could be providing too much detail and be against the best interests of all air travelers?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
I would like everyone to ponder air safety. Is it possible that sharing every detail on what a flight, as described above, would be like including weather and the possible position of the sun could be providing too much detail and be against the best interests of all air travelers?
Ummm, it wouldn't cost a whole lot for your someone to find out on their own. Not to mention, flight tracking websites (a la Flightaware) allow you to see any flight's trajectory pretty easily.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,901,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Ummm, it wouldn't cost a whole lot for your someone to find out on their own. Not to mention, flight tracking websites (a la Flightaware) allow you to see any flight's trajectory pretty easily.
Not to mention the airport lookout on Imperial Ave.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 AM

261 posts, read 944,310 times
Default just one opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I am not familiar with a website that compiles all of the information shared here from direction of plane, location of land marks, sumation of views when considering time of day or weather, and what side of the plane is best to sit on.

Post 911 has definately changed my view of information technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles