Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What I continually don't understand is people from Texas who post on the California or Los Angeles forum only to criticize or ridicule us. Does anyone from California go to the Texas forum and call them names and make fun of their governor and citizens? NO. We could care less what happens in Texas and have the good manners to not provoke them just for the hell of it.

I don't mind Texans posting on the California or LA forums if they want to [though I think they must be terribly bored] but then they need to be open-minded enough to recognize that their state isn't viewed as a paradise of progressive thinking and tolerance. A Texas governor like Perry couldn't even be elected to dog catcher in California because we reject that kind of bigoted evangelical nonsense.
to deny that texas is not a progressive bastion doesn't make any sense- most especially as those doing the denying most vehemently are usually not progressives themselves but feel that they must win a pissing match of some sort with californians.....
but texans have always believed that the sun rose and set on their state, which is a somewhat charming and sometimes annoying quality......but its funny how in california we truly do have everything and while people may hate LA, they can't deny that we are the most beautiful and varied state in the union. go ahead, try. and if you don't like the fact that california is progressive, then move. its like going to Fire Island in 1974 and complaining about all the homosexuals.
and i wish we DID always reject bigoted nonsense but we must remember that a certain pinko-obsessed actor went pretty far in california politics and went on to be the Icon of the sort of politics that annoy me so greatly today....

and speaking of people who don't live in california anymore and who never cease to share her opinion about our great state and its politics as if her word were written in stone (or else is about to be)
ahem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
You know what a reasonable Republican is like; Ronald Reagan and all California governors who have been Republican.
I used to say I was a Barry Goldwater Republican. Then along came the Religious Right and the Moral Majority to ruin it for me.

Quote:
Anyway, hermano mayor, we is homies! Anytime you happen to be in east Pasadena I'll be happy to treat you to a bowl of menudo.
Alright there homes, but dis negro don't do tripe. It would have to be a bowl of posole, birria, albondigas or cocido de res.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I used to say I was a Barry Goldwater Republican. Then along came the Religious Right and the Moral Majority to ruin it for me.

Alright there homes, but dis negro don't do tripe. It would have to be a bowl of posole, birria, albondigas or cocido de res.
I'm with you and don't particularly like tripe and menudo isn't Rican food anyway but I do like it. Ever eat chitlins? That has a foul smell Those other Mexican soups are yummy, esp albondigas. Ever eat asopao? It is a thick Puerto Rican soup made from chicken or fish; very good.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 PM

No, but let's not drive this wonderful topic off the rails with food talk. I could go on about that for 10 pages.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
So much off topic crap here....stuff that doesn't affect day to day life at all.

First off, I'm from California, I live in downtown LA, and have lived in LA or suburbs thereof my entire life.

Second, I couldn't care less who has sex with who, who says what about whatever religion, etc. We have those freedoms already...and more importantly, no politician has the ability to take those things away. So it doesn't matter what they say. I could care less. I'm tolerant of a whole lot and if I had to take a guess, I'm more socially liberal than most of those posting in this thread. But I almost never vote that way. Because politicians at the Federal level in particular and to a lesser extent at the state level have minimal ability to legislate those items. So they can *** away all they want. I don't care what they think. I care what they will do.

What most concerns me about our state government in California is as follows in order of importance:

1.) Safety. To me the number one function of government is the safety of its citizens and their property.

2.) Handling of economic matters. Items such as regulation, financial welfare, etc.

3.) Taxes. Both personal income tax, and business tax. Thanks to the democrats in the California State legislature I now also have to be concerned with various fees.

4.) How the state government spends the money it takes in.

Anyway, the above items are those that are going to affect me most and thats what I'm concerned with.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Texass vs California....

Figures.....

Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 PM

437 posts, read 811,481 times
why would a American man want to overstay his visa in a tiny island Singapore that is not even half the size of LA when he can enter without visa for up to 90 days . Hmm if USA apply that law here will there be a big chaos ? damn Singapore government is strict on their immigration law . Should we let California have that same law lol ?!
U.S. Man Faces Caning in Singapore - WSJ.com

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
why would a American man want to overstay his visa in a tiny island Singapore that is not even half the size of LA when he can enter without visa for up to 90 days . Hmm if USA apply that law here will there be a big chaos ? damn Singapore government is strict on their immigration law . Should we let California have that same law lol ?!
U.S. Man Faces Caning in Singapore - WSJ.com
why would you repost this in not only threads that have little if anything to do with the issue at hand, and then start a thread for that piece alone? ( fontucky's food diversion notwithstanding)

"on the other hand, you have different fingers". steven wright

Old 11-06-2010, 12:24 AM

Because he's a maroon?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 AM

437 posts, read 811,481 times
this is a world issues affecting Americans and ya'll are so ignorant no wonder we are going down in drains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles