Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:07 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Fine, but if you're in LA county or even so cal, you'd be laughed at for saying you're from LA

It's worked for me so far, no laughing feedback as the majority of people don't know the facts. They think that L.A. is the entire Los Angeles basin.

Once I say I'm from L.A., then the topic always goes to something else.

Unless they're someone who likes to show off that they've been here before and knows the area.

In the big picture, it really doesn't matter, because I probably won't be inviting them over to the house anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 PM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
Is it fair to view the entire city from lets say the griffith of getty and look at the view and consider all of that "LA"? I understand all of the independent cities by now but looking at the whole area I fell like its safe to say thats all "LA".

Old 07-25-2015, 02:48 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
I live in Santa Monica, but when I'm outside of the L.A. basin, I always tell people I'm from L.A.

When speaking to a fellow Angelino within the L.A. basin, I tell them I'm from Santa Monica. They might ask, "Where in L.A.?" And I'd say "Santa Monica." And they'd say, "Oh. I'm in Sherman Oaks (or wherever.)"

Never been laughed at by anyone for saying I'm from L.A. even after they learn I'm in Santa Monica. And I still think of myself as an Angelino.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:58 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I live in Santa Monica, but when I'm outside of the L.A. basin, I always tell people I'm from L.A.

When speaking to a fellow Angelino within the L.A. basin, I tell them I'm from Santa Monica. They might ask, "Where in L.A.?" And I'd say "Santa Monica." And they'd say, "Oh. I'm in Sherman Oaks (or wherever.)"

Never been laughed at by anyone for saying I'm from L.A. even after they learn I'm in Santa Monica. And I still think of myself as an Angelino.
Santa Monica, Culver City, West Hollywood, and Beverly Hills are interchangeable with LA. They are surrounded by LA and are representative of LA's culture and identity. Especially to tourists.

Other cities (not an exhaustive list) like Burbank, beach cities, LBC, Glendale, Pasadena, Inglewood have some similarities to LA but not entirely.

To a tourist it might be okay to say you're from "LA" if you're from those places, but to a local there'd be something different.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 PM

13 posts, read 34,735 times
Hello new user here.

A few years ago I was in Los Angeles for a company trip. I ended up on top of a hill in a neighborhood that was in an affluent Santa Monica area that had beautiful homes that were on hairpin like turns. I was wondering if anyone could give me a clue as to where this neighborhood was as it had spectacular views overlooking the highways and sea.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:59 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyprotagonist View Post
Hello new user here.

A few years ago I was in Los Angeles for a company trip. I ended up on top of a hill in a neighborhood that was in an affluent Santa Monica area that had beautiful homes that were on hairpin like turns. I was wondering if anyone could give me a clue as to where this neighborhood was as it had spectacular views overlooking the highways and sea.
I think you're thinking of santa monica canyon. Streets like Amalfi, Maberry. They're technically in the city of Angeles (Pacific Palisades) but it's right by Santa Monica.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 PM

13 posts, read 34,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I think you're thinking of santa monica canyon. Streets like Amalfi, Maberry. They're technically in the city of Angeles (Pacific Palisades) but it's right by Santa Monica.

I thought it was the Palisades! I recently saw a news story of a neighborhood that looked just like the neighborhood I got lost driving around in. Thank you so much. I could never afford to live in a place like that but it was magnificent. And i'm from New York City.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:34 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
To the OP, I hope we have not confused you but in the United States the city-state hiearchy looks like this:

You have CITIES which are all located in a COUNTY which are all located within a STATE.

The City of Los Angeles has a pop. of approx. 4 million people and it is located within the County of Los Angles with a pop. of approx. 10 million.

Within the jurisdiction of LA County there are numerous cities with the City of LA being the largest one. There are approx. 58 separate cities within LA County.

As another poster noted, it gets confusing because you've got smaller cities which are surrounded by the City of LA. But you also have neighbhroods within the City of LA which are often confused as being their own cities (like Hollywood).

And yes Disnelyland is NOT in Los Angeles County....it is in Orange County. But the Walt Disney studio is located in LA County in the indepdent City of Burbank.
Actually, there are 88 separate cities within LA County, and 34 within Orange County, and about 20 each for San Bernardino and Riverside Counties.

Not sure about San Diego County but probably at or near 20 as well.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
La Habra is in Orange County (I know you know this). I'm sure some residents do say they are from LA, but mostly just when they are trying to explain where they live to someone from out of town who won't get the subtlety of "Los Angeles" vs. "Greater Los Angeles metro area."

Many people from other OC cities think that La Habra is in LA County. I have actually had people argue with me about this and insist it is in LA, even though I lived in La Habra for 27 years and should know.
Probably because La Habra Heights, which shares the 90631 zip code with La Habra, IS in LA County.

Plus La Habra switched over to Los Angeles County Fire Department for their fire services, since they are right on the edge.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
An exception to that -- perhaps the only exception in the United States -- is New York City, a city that contains five counties (that are also called boroughs, sometimes with different names, sometimes not).

New York City includes ...

The County of Queens -- aka the Borough of Queens.

The County of Kings -- aka the Borough of Brooklyn.

The County of Richmond -- aka the Borough of Staten Island.

The County of New York -- aka the Borough of Manhattan.

The County of Bronx -- aka the Borough of The Bronx.

So one of the five counties within New York City is also the County of New York (both of which are in the State of New York).

To make it more confusing, Manhattan is the also name of the biggest island in the Borough of Manhattan, but the Borough of Manhattan includes other, smaller islands with different names (e.g. Roosevelt Island).

Note also the county's name is Bronx, but its borough name is The Bronx.

The counties within New York City apparently have their own administrative offices (e.g., Richmond County Clerk) apart from their borough offices (e.g., About the BP's Office - Staten Island USA)

I don't know how that works. New York City has many layers of bureaucracy.
The State of Louisiana uses PARISHES instead of COUNTIES for their governmental divisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles