Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 AM

179 posts, read 922,219 times

Advertisements

oh here's a fun fact. the only blacks i've seen in my 25 years her in east L.A. where my teach in elementary (who hit on my mother constantly - no issue there), two love bird crack addicts, a friend who was in love with Moesha (which he later renounced after meeting her), and my best friend's father who was strung out all the time.

Should i assume that all blacks are like that?

Five peoples.... No "official" stats. None of them were gang bangers. They were all just humans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 07:05 AM

99 posts, read 570,580 times
Default This is about LA

This posting isn't about 'where blacks are moving to,' it's about LA. Many blacks are moving to Atlanta. A family from Compton can sell their $300,000 house and buy a McMansion in 'affluent' Stone Mountain and a large house in quite affluent Cascade Heights, but Cascade and Stone are hardly the kind of 'affluent' I'm 'talking' about when I mention Ladera Heights and View Park where houses range from $770k-$2million... or even Carson's Dominguez Hills where homes average in the $600k range. Stone Mountain and Cascade Heights are nice communities and considered affluent... by Atlanta standards. 'Black neighborhood' in LA means affluent by any standard. It's just a story of change and progress... good news. Nothing to do w/ Mexicans or the South.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:17 PM

652 posts, read 2,806,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
Living in East L.A., blaming Mexicans (legal or otherwise) for crimes is stupid. That's like blaming whites for crimes in white neighborhoods because they are white there. (and btw, many Mexicans are white). East L.A IS predominately Latino/Mexican/Hispanic/Jewish/Koren/Japanese/Cambodian/Chinese/etc, So it would be expected that if any crimes were committed, it would be by some one that is in this area. But to blanket label them (us) as gang members or gang bangers is the same BS you are listing as blacks.

Statistics are only gained from those items that are reported, not from the factual.

btw, last i heard, don't move to washington d.c. every black person is labelled as a crack addict and not allowed within a block of the white house.

Shall we continue with the sterotypes and rumors?
The statistics are not factual, you're implying? Okay, fine. Perhaps we should consult experienced law enforcement officers, or listen to a police radio to find out what crimes are being reported in which neighborhoods and develop a basis for comparison. I can no longer listen to police channels since the LAPD moved to 800mHz and began scrambling their transmissions, but in the eighties and nineties I heard enough on my Radio Shack scanner to reach my own empirical conclusions. Et tu?

Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 PM

134 posts, read 562,836 times
Who cares as long as they are not pullin white folk out of cars kicking their face in and rioting.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,268,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
This posting isn't about 'where blacks are moving to,' it's about LA. Many blacks are moving to Atlanta. A family from Compton can sell their $300,000 house and buy a McMansion in 'affluent' Stone Mountain and a large house in quite affluent Cascade Heights, but Cascade and Stone are hardly the kind of 'affluent' I'm 'talking' about when I mention Ladera Heights and View Park where houses range from $770k-$2million... or even Carson's Dominguez Hills where homes average in the $600k range. Stone Mountain and Cascade Heights are nice communities and considered affluent... by Atlanta standards. 'Black neighborhood' in LA means affluent by any standard. It's just a story of change and progress... good news. Nothing to do w/ Mexicans or the South.
Of course, that $2 million house in Ladera Heights would probably be worth $3 million or so in Manhattan Beach. With real estate, it's all about location.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,139 times
Okay, I've been seeing several threads like these lately.

Why is living in a "black" neighborhood so important? I mean it's 2007 already, when will these "divisions" end?

Old 07-14-2007, 10:49 PM

119 posts, read 881,713 times
I remember about 10 years ago when K Hovnavian broke ground with Dominquez Hills Village development in Carson, I was surprised and optimistic other development would head in to South LA North LB. There has been some development such as Renaissance in Inglewood brought market rate homes the area; Its a long way to and is welcomed.

Its true upscale African American neighborhoods don't get the respect they deserve most of the stereotypes which overshadows success in there areas and secondly, our communities being smaller are also routinely overlooked. Not only that business go were the dollars are at they also go we the people are at. One example Harlem USA in New York most of the stores out sell the Midtown Manhattan, Upper East Side,and Upper West Side branches.
Unfortunately, getting high end retailers to take the plunge there has kept developers from repeating the process in other cities like here in LA as well as Chicago, Detroit, Miami et al. but that slowly changing; until then we'll continue to go to Beverly Hills, Century City, Fox Hills, Westside Pavillion for merchandise That Baldwin Hills-Crenshaw Plaza will not sell because preconceived notions by retailers (and Baldwin Hills is doing very well thank you very much). Not to take anything away from the communities success.

It's the mindset.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:09 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,085,142 times
The Next American City (http://www.americancity.org/article.php?id_article=135 - broken link)

This article explains pitfalls experienced by many African-American middle and upper class neighborhoods.

I have a feeling that the issues in the article will someday be overcome by the said neighborhoods. Since this was written in 2004, some people feel PG County, Maryland overcame some of the issues in the article.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The Next American City (http://www.americancity.org/article.php?id_article=135 - broken link)

This article explains pitfalls experienced by many African-American middle and upper class neighborhoods.

I have a feeling that the issues in the article will someday be overcome by the said neighborhoods. Since this was written in 2004, some people feel PG County, Maryland overcame some of the issues in the article.
Great article.

I hope all of these separatist communities get done away with completely. We're in a new century and this nonsense is still going on. Shameful. Just shameful.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 AM

652 posts, read 2,806,032 times
Why are there people who dress like gansters and cars that look like ganster cars in neighborhoods such as View Park? I drove through View Park about 4 months ago and it was a little frightening to see kids roaming around with baggy pants and cars with the huge lettering on the rear window, gold wheel rims, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles