Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times

Advertisements

With all due respect, you do not know my criteria. I mentioned one aspect, and you took that as my only benchmark. If I was writing a business proposal as to why to move somewhere, I certianly would have been more in depth, but alas - this is an internet forum and I don't need to validate my choices to people I've never met.

Santa Monica's schools DO NOT meat my criteria, nor the criteria of MOST well off people in SM.

My first post said only that I do not see LA as an ideal place to raise a family - and I stick by that. If you really look at my "original" criteria, you will see that SM fits only about 50% of my needs, but alas, as I said before, I am not here to convince you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:14 PM

191 posts, read 586,558 times
Sorry, I asked what you were looking for, you gave me a list, I fulfilled that criteria in spades.

Then you changed your definition of LA to only be around west LA, not necessarily the City of LA, but near west LA.

There should have been a warning about the need to be clairvoyant before answering the question.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post
You can look in Burbank, for starters. The red line will get you into DTLA in 20 minutes flat, carless. Glendale has affordable areas with great schools.

In OC, Tustin will give you what you're after and put you within 15 minutes of Irvine.
Since when are Burbank, Glendale, or Tustin really affordable?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Since when are Burbank, Glendale, or Tustin really affordable?
Since about mid-2009. Rents are in alignment with incomes, and homes for sale are definitely getting there too. Still a ways to go on the latter, but it is a great time to be a renter.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Everyone's goal in life - to be a renter.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Everyone's goal in life - to be a renter.
Rich Americans Ditch Home Ownership For Renting

When one has visions of making significant changes, renting rocks.
In a nationally declining real estate market, renting is the way to go.

Sounds like the shoe fits on both fronts in your case, no?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM

damn you must love to argue.

Yes, there are certain circumstances where renting makes sense, such as the case with leasing a car. There are usually significant sacrifices called for when going from owning to renting. NYC? Ideal for renting. Single family home? Less ideal.

This is not really a debate I'd like to get into.

Why do you love "LA" so much, anyway? You seem to have some kind of agenda convincing everyone to stay.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Why do you love "LA" so much, anyway? You seem to have some kind of agenda convincing everyone to stay.
There's no question LA (as in the greater LA area) has its downsides.

One of the aspects of the area is its vastness - and in that vein, there is diversity - a place for most every lifestyle.

If you narrow your definition of LA to just west LA and the immediate area that is a very narrow perception of what's here.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to leave, but I'm not going to stand idly by when folks make broad, inaccurate statements about the lack of quality education in the LA area. It's just not true.

This is my hometown. I care about the place. That's my only agenda.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
I've though about "jumping ship" a lot recently, but not because of jobs. I'm getting to the age to have (well, to father) children, and I cannot come to terms with raising a family anywhere in LA.
Why do you want to have kids ? Does anybody have kids these days? It's mind boggling to me why anyone has kids given the current circumstances.

SAMO high is just fine. I didn't go there, but have many friends who did and turn out more than successful. The middle and elementary schools are great here, Franklin, Roosevelt, Lincoln.

But I agree with you, if I actually wanted to have kids I'd probably not want to be in LA. Only acceptable places would be north Santa Monica, Palisades, and they require a certain income

Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM

I think a kid would be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles