Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Helo, my entire family with the exception of my husband because of a bum knee was military and several retired. They went from enlisted to my dad that was a retired Commander. I am completely aware of what it takes. It is still a thought. The idea is: if he is homeless now and the economy is what it is, maybe the military would be a long term solution. I also suggested a spare room if you would open your eyes. Obvioously he has looked toward his family and obviously there is a reason why that will not work. Otherwise he wouldn't need to post here. BTW, I was not the only one that suggested the military.
Nita

I have three purple hearts in my family going back to WW1, still doesn't mean the military is for everyone. Yes others suggested it as well, it is very easy to suggest to someone else to go put themselves in harms way isn't it?

Even if the OP has an interest in the military looking at the window of time the best solution for now is family and friends.

Maybe down the road if he has an interest in the military it might be something to look into.

For now he needs a quicker solution. That is where family and friends come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 PM

396 posts, read 925,883 times
I'm not trying to condone this but.. If I were homeless and REALLY desperate, I'd try squatting in a foreclosed home but be real low key about it..

But that's a hypothetical situation.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
If I were in a similar situation, I'd consider this:

Quote:
How does one join the Merchant Marine or so you want to go to sea?
The United States Coast Guard regulates and issues the necessary documents for the U.S. Merchant Marine. Contact the U.S. Coast Guard (U.S. Government Department of Transportation in your phone book) or write to Commandant, US Coast Guard, 2100 Second St. SW, Washington, DC 20593.

Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education at the Seafarers Harry Lundeberg School of Seamanship operates an entry level training program for young people seeking careers in the US maritime industry. The course is about 12 weeks in school, and 12 weeks on board ship, then a follow up at the school. This Unlicensed Apprentice Program is free of charge and program graduates receive a US Merchant Mariners Document/Ordinary Seaman with Water Survival and Fire Fighting Endorsements. Veterans of the U.S. Navy or the U.S. Coast Guard who possess shipboard ratings may be eligible for participation in an abbreviated training program. PO Box 75 Piney Point, MD 20674, 1-877-235-3275, (301) 994-1659
Frequently Asked Questions about the Merchant Marine

At least you'd be going places.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
I'm not trying to condone this but.. If I were homeless and REALLY desperate, I'd try squatting in a foreclosed home but be real low key about it..

But that's a hypothetical situation.
I've thought of that too.

(I have a criminal mind. I wouldn't actually commit any crimes... but I like to imagine what I would do in certain situations. Like pull off the perfect murder, steal, bank robbery, etc.. it sometimes horrifies my husband when I make remarks like "Oh, he's an idiot who DESERVES to get caught. Now, if I were going to cheat, I would..." heh)

Anyway, hypothetically, if you could manage to get a realtor's lockbox code and an inflatable bed... you'd be golden. (that might be like the storage space, though. Good in theory.)

Back in the day when I was ****-poor broke, to eat I would go to art openings for the free food & wine (and art, of course). Other times, I would go to happy hour where if you bought a beer you could then eat various appetizers for free. I knew where all the good happy hour bars were. I also went to places that had lots of samples and ate that way. I lived on that, spaghetti (no sauce 'cause I couldn't afford it) & Cream Of Wheat (I bought a giant box in bulk and lived off of that for a while). I didn't have a car, so I biked everywhere. MAN I was in good shape!

I basically lived on nothing. My dad sent me $20 once in a while, and I would feel rich. I washed my clothes at my mom's house when I could afford bus fare. But I was lucky enough to not be homeless (I would cry to my landlord every month. He would yell at me but he didn't kick me out.) I eventually had to move back in with my mom (and I paid back my landlord every cent I owed him once I found a job).

If I were homeless but could afford it, I would have a cell phone & a mailbox (for the address). And use the library for internet.

What about camping? It's pretty cold for that, but if you got a lot of blankets?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I thought it was strange but I guess the homeless can access the conputer at the libraries.
Why do you find that strange? I'm a librarian, and just had to comment on this... libraries are for the public, and homeless people are members of the public. Despite popular belief, you don't need an address to get a library card! You'll just get a restricted account instead, which limits the books you can check out, but gives you access to all services. We do have time limits on using the computer, but no limits on lounging... so you're always welcomed to rest your feet & seek shelter in the library, as long as you're not sleeping or bathing. Good luck (to the OP)!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
"... libraries are for the public, and homeless people are members of the public."

Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Well I first thought if you are homeless how can you access a computer than I thought of the libraries. It's funny how we have become a computer nation and rarely go to the library anymore with everything online.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrah View Post
I am 3 months behind on rent and having a hard time finding a job. There is more to the story but this is where I am at now, I'm getting kicked out of my apartment in 10 days and have no where to go. Most of my friends still live with their parents or live too far. I just need a place to keep my clothes where I can have access to them 24/7 and a place to shower. I was thinking of joining 24 hour fitness and I could leave my clothes in a locker there, but I am not sure if I can do that??
Well you posted this on the 13th so it is 3 days later. Can you give us an update on what you have done since then? I hope you have found someplace to go. We can yack on here all day but you need help right now.

I would hope you had your parents home to go to. I am sure they would be happy to help you out over a hard time until you find a job. Most parents would. If no parents then I hope you have some friends who would help out on a temporary basis.

My sister's son had a friend whose step-father was abusive (I don't mean rules he did not want to follow, I mean a drug dealer and beat the wife and kids) and he had to move out. He lived with my sister's family until he graduated from high school and on his own. He is married now with his own family.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 44,430 times
About the 24 hour gym thing... I actually knew a lady who slept in her car in the gym parking lot and showered in the gym. So I mean, I guess that's an option.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well I first thought if you are homeless how can you access a computer than I thought of the libraries. It's funny how we have become a computer nation and rarely go to the library anymore with everything online.
Thankfully, not everyone thinks the way you do! Our libraries are still thriving, despite what some people might think... especially in lower-income neighborhoods, where the ONLY computer access they have is at the library. We also provide programs that can't be experienced online, like children's storytimes, free tax assistance, free tutoring, art shows, musical performances, etc. We're not just about books, ya know.

To the OP, and anyone else facing homelessness... you can use public libraries to access the internet, rest your feet, use the bathroom (except to bathe), enjoy educational & recreational programs, and even to receive emotional support and/or advice on your living situation. We can also point you towards social services and shelters, as I frequently did while working in urban libraries. And a good librarian never judges, so you can feel comfortable coming to us for help & support. Okay, I'm done with my PSA for now - LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-17-2010 at 01:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles