Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM

27 posts, read 64,411 times

Advertisements

Just looking for a little advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

I found myself in a situation this week where I was not going to be able to pay my rent, my unemployment was cut off, and I have no income. In order to keep from losing my place, I was lucky enough to be able to sublet it for the next 2-3 months. The issue now is where I am going to stay! I have a car, but it's a Yaris and VERY uncomfortable to sleep in. Also, sleeping in your car is illegal in LA. I'm grateful to at least have the car and an apartment to come back to eventually. But, I'm not sure what to do next. My family lives in Kentucky, btw, so that's not an option.

It seems like camping around LA is actually kind of expensive. I stayed at the hostel in Venice when I first moved to town, but even that gets pricey over time.

Anyone been in a similar spots? Thoughts about places to crash, to hang during the day, free places/food, etc... BTW, I'm a woman in my 30's, so sleeping in the park is not going to be an option.

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
How long have you been in LA? What do you do? Do you have any reason to believe you will ever find employment?

I would think you would have some friends who might let you couch surf or something?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
You should join a gym that you can afford that has nice restrooms. You could do your showering and cleaning up there as well as working out to pass the time. In the meantime you can apply to fast food jobs, etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM

If you can believe it, I'm a lawyer. But, I'm not licensed in CA and finding work has become really difficult. But, yes, there is reason to believe I will eventually find work. The gym idea is a good one.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkinteh View Post
If you can believe it, I'm a lawyer. But, I'm not licensed in CA and finding work has become really difficult. But, yes, there is reason to believe I will eventually find work. The gym idea is a good one.
I'm confused here. Why don't you jump in your Yaris and drive back to the state you're licensed in -or- take the CA bar and become licensed here? I'm not an attorney, but know dozens, even some who just passed the bar this year. All have been hired somewhere, albeit not always their first choice. Point is - I find it hard to believe someone with a JD can't find *any* work.

Did you move here unlicensed and your plans changed?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 PM

I moved here to write and not practice law at all. Then, savings ran out and I decided to try and sit for the bar. Between the summer and winter bars, there is an average 43% pass rate (52 in the summer, around 32 in the winter). It's worse for out of staters. I have taken the CA bar twice and haven't passed it yet. I plan on taking it again in July. Yes, if you are licensed here and went to law school here, it isn't hard to find something. But, that isn't my situation. As far as not being able to find a job with a JD, believe it. I am in the unfortunate position of not being qualified for attorney positions due to not being licensed in CA and not being able to get hired as a clerk/paralegal because I am so over qualified. The legal market in KY is not much better. Besides, if I wanted to live in KY, I wouldn't be here. I appreciate your response, but I'm assuming this is going to be a rather temporary situation for me...2 or 3 months tops, and am looking for people who have any knowledge or experience with temporarily having nowhere to live. If anyone knows anything about cheap hostels, free or cheap camping, anything about the shelters, has couch surfed around here, etc..., that would be really helpful.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Lots of free campsites with firepits but no facilities in the San gabriel mountains - but that won't help you find work here in civilization. Couch surfing websites exist - check those out. I suggest joining some type of social group and letting them know about your problem. A church would be a good group where you may find someone willing to help you out. Some churches operate shelters also - so you would have access to info there. I hope you are looking for any and all types of work. Unloading a truck or pulling orders in a stockroom may be a big step down for an attorney, but it will pay the bills temporarily.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 AM

Thanks, Harrier. Those are good ideas. Yes, I'm definitely looking for any and all work. It seems like I've fallen into a weird crevice of sorts...either under or overqualified, not the right age, not the right gender, etc... I tried to go back to being a nanny, something I did before law school. But, now I'm competing with people who have more recent experience. It seems like I'm just a couple of steps behind on everything. I'm definitely not a quitter and will figure something out I'm sure.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 AM

129 posts, read 316,825 times
Yes, my husband and I have been in this situation before and have left CA. You can always go back, but you need to go to where you have family who can help you through this difficult time. Or you need to go to a state that has cheaper rent/more work since LA doesn't really have either of those things right now. Sleeping in the car wasn't an option for us, so we hit the road since our vehicle was the only thing we had, too. You can always go back to LA - we will return by the end of the summer after we get our sh*t together in a more affordable place. We didn't want to leave at all - but you know the saying about doing what you gotta do to survive. We've been in New Orleans for two months and my husband has a job (he couldn't find anything in LA) and we found a super affordable apartment with a short lease. If you are totally against leaving LA, what about a roommate situation?

Last edited by summerwriter; 01-25-2012 at 04:15 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
If you're a lawyer, your plently smart. Why don't you just do some crappy job while to raise some money? You can pay rent, utlitlies and put food in your stomach if you became a waitress or bartender somewhere. Heck, I made $2k/month delivering pizzas when I wasn't working full time...

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles