Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 9,539 times

Advertisements

Hi Los Angelenos,

I've wanted to move to LA for quite a while, but I took a trip out there two weeks ago and was shocked that on every other street corner--without fail--there would be homeless people. It was particularly bad in Santa Monica and outside Union Station--but they were everywhere. In fact, one was particularly aggressive right outside my LAX hotel on Century (he came out of nowhere and walked up to me when I was waiting for a big blue bus and, when i didn't donate, he wished I died of cancer). Not a big deal, I know, but it gave me the hibby-jibbies and definitely put a gray cloud over my day. And, keep in mind, this is coming from someone who was born and raised in NYC.

So, I wanted to know--was my experience typical?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM

157 posts, read 504,775 times
A city with a population as large as LA is bound to have a large homeless population. That is a fact of life in today's society. You can always avoid the areas where the homeless congregate if it makes you uncomfortable. Since these are also usually high crime areas, I avoid them anyway. You won't see me downtown unless necessary.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
What part of New York are you from? New York City can be way more hardcore than LA. I saw your earlier post about people's attitudes in LA. I've met quite a lot of New Yorkers out here especially from Brooklyn and I've never heard them complain like you. If you can survive in New York CITY than you can survive in LA unless you're not use to having a car. I'm coming from London which is just like New York. The only thing that bothers me is how close people get and are quick to put their fingers in my hair, it's nice people like it but back off.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:03 AM

500 posts, read 841,428 times
NYC/boroughs are very good at getting rid of homeless; they don't tolerate homeless on the streets, pretty much.

Yes, your experience is typical: numerous tourists and newcomers were assaulted by homeless in LA. Next time, look at them like if you're going to murder them and got nothing to lose and they'll back off. Sometimes, just a look in the eyes is enough to stop any trash in their tracks--if you spend time around LA ghettos, you'd acquire that look. And anywhere near LAX is a ***hole, so don't be surprised. Homeless like LA because it's warm, but not too hot here.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
NYC/boroughs are very good at getting rid of homeless; they don't tolerate homeless on the streets, pretty much.
What????
I grew up in NYC and can tell you nothing could be further from the truth.
The homeless in NYC are NEVER 'gotten rid of'. The cops SELDOM bother them.
The only days the city steps in to pick up the homeless is when the weather gets EXTREMELY cold.
On those few and far between days the city forces them into shelters.
Other than that the police pass by them.
I don't know what makes you think otherwise.
Go to the NYC forum and make that statement if u dont believe me.

40+ THOUSAND

Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
What????
I grew up in NYC and can tell you nothing could be further from the truth.
The homeless in NYC are NEVER 'gotten rid of'. The cops SELDOM bother them.
The only days the city steps in to pick up the homeless is when the weather gets EXTREMELY cold...
Yeah I agree. NYC has a lot of homeless people and I don't understand why this so-called New Yorker is complaining about homeless people in LA. That was a pretty dumb thing Xani said, as dumb as if anyone was to say New Yorkers are the most friendliest/happy people.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Los Angeles does have a large population of the homeless. The highest concentrations of them would be in Venice, Downtown, Wilshire area, Hollywood, Skid Row, and South LA.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM

385 posts, read 721,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInLAX View Post
Hi Los Angelenos,

I've wanted to move to LA for quite a while, but I took a trip out there two weeks ago and was shocked that on every other street corner--without fail--there would be homeless people. It was particularly bad in Santa Monica and outside Union Station--but they were everywhere. In fact, one was particularly aggressive right outside my LAX hotel on Century (he came out of nowhere and walked up to me when I was waiting for a big blue bus and, when i didn't donate, he wished I died of cancer). Not a big deal, I know, but it gave me the hibby-jibbies and definitely put a gray cloud over my day. And, keep in mind, this is coming from someone who was born and raised in NYC.

So, I wanted to know--was my experience typical?
Thanks!!
Where would you go if you were homeless? Would you stick in a city where it snows and you know you might die if you cant fit in a shelter or would you move out west where you cant tell the difference between a homeless man and a beach hippy? Also lots of Los Angeles' homeless are not from LA they are from other parts of the U.S. or vets. We attract rich and poor alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post

Yes, your experience is typical: numerous tourists and newcomers were assaulted by homeless in LA. Next time, look at them like if you're going to murder them and got nothing to lose and they'll back off. Sometimes, just a look in the eyes is enough to stop any trash in their tracks--if you spend time around LA ghettos, you'd acquire that look. And anywhere near LAX is a ***hole, so don't be surprised. Homeless like LA because it's warm, but not too hot here.
This comment is ignorant, anywhere near LAX is a hole? Are you retarded? Inglewood and crenshaw are nice places nowadays, just because they are black populated does not make them back areas. Hell even Compton is looking 100 times better than in the 90s. You prolly pick your nice places by location of starbucks... Plus I wouldnt look at a crazy war vet whos down on his luck and close to snapping in any bad way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Los Angeles does have a large population of the homeless. The highest concentrations of them would be in Venice, Downtown, Wilshire area, Hollywood, Skid Row, and South LA.
I agree with everywhere except South LA. South LA does not have a large homeless population, they are poor but not homless, those people selling fruit on the side of the road are not homeless, close but not homeless... The only reason homeless would be seen in south LA is because of Jan Perry shipping Skid Row out towards San Pedro and 50 blocks by building shelters in the factory area, untill people got wise and called her out for it and she stopped. She tried to get rid of skid row for her lofts, ugh I hate her.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Well, if your'e gonna be homeless, LA's the best place to do it, you don't have to worry about freezing your butt off in the winter, just hang out at the beach checking out the babes and the waves, what a life!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Well, if your'e gonna be homeless, LA's the best place to do it, you don't have to worry about freezing your butt off in the winter, just hang out at the beach checking out the babes and the waves, what a life!
I always wondered why you don't see more bums actually in the water enjoying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles