Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,171 times

Advertisements

so im 21 years old, im moving to los angeles next month to start a new life. I have a work from home job making excellent money right now. the problem is this, the only people i know in LA is just family. my eventual goal is to meet some people get some friends and just make the best out of the LA experience. Any advice? im 21, i skateboard, smoke(420) and drink sometimes. i have never been to LA so im kind of going in the dark. what is the best way to accomplish making friends, meeting people, being social...etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4starkid21 View Post
what is the best way to accomplish making friends, meeting people, being social...etc
The same way you did it in Florida. If you had problems there, you'll have problems here. If you made friends there, you'll make friends here.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Bring money.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM

how is LA in comparison to NYC, in the sense that when your walking down the streets theres just people EVERYWHERE? i dont usually have trouble making friends, but from what ive heard everyone in LA is very cliquey etc...i figure im probally gonna go to the skatepark and coffe shops alot. ive got some money saved in the meanwhile which will take care of the living situation.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
most people get around in LA by car, so you don't see sidewalks packed with people like in nyc.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM

with that being said, would you say that a skateboard is a possible mode of transportation? or is everything just too spread out to the point where a car is a necessity?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
hey kid everything depends what part of LA you're in. you say you have a good job that pays you a lot. if that's true - good, you need money to make it here. its a city of millions so hard to accuse us of being cliquey, you cant generalize it, see for yourself. are skateboards ok trnasportation - not really, unless you're going down the street. a car is likely a necessity. again we need to know what areas you're considering.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM

i was thinking the actual city of los angeles, not like santa monica or anything like that in LA county but just LA, as for income i make about 3k a month, being single i figure thats decent income. the reason i choose la city is because my mother lives there as well as my uncle. ideally what it is im looking for is a place to where i can just hop on a bus or just take a quick bike ride or skate etc to get around. somewhere that would be ideal would be central to a grocery store, coffe shops and some good local eateries and bars and if possible not too far off from the beach. i can bring a car if needed but i rather not have the extra expenses if its something that can be avoided. at the same time i dont wanna be walking down the street and run the risk of being mugged as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
There is no "just LA" because there are many neighborhoods. Hollywood, valley, west LA, downtown, south LA, etc. These are all part of the city of LA but are all very different areas...

3k a month, what are you planning to pay for rent. Some reasonable priced, social areas that fit your criteria include but not are limited to Venice Beach, Hollywood, Studio City, Mar Vista/Palms, West LA.

Since you're into bike riding and skating Venice Beach might be good, it is social, youthful, fun, and of course near the beach. It is a mixture of super pricy places and some reasonable priced apartments and homes. Hollywood also is like that, just not as close to the beach, though I would say more social and more walkable.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM

hmm, so it seems like hollywood and venice are the most suited. as far as a living situation goes, i can afford about 1.2k-1.4k a month for rental purposes. however i was also considering renting a room with roommates at first. btw i do appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles