Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times

Advertisements

[mod cut- don't discuss mod actions in the forums]

The question was can you help the girl find a place that accepts Section 8.... no one seems to be able to address her question but are able to condemn her for something she qualifies for.

Last edited by observer53; 02-15-2011 at 11:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Look at the cost of rent in Santa Monica, and tell me why Section 8 should have to pay that much money to keep a roof over the Op's head? The amount of money for a single mom and child to rent an apartment in Santa Monica, could provide Section 8 housing to several needy families living in other parts of the country.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 PM

197 posts, read 667,608 times
The OP was given info about the local housing authorities and other areas to consider. That's about all we could give her. The Section 8 debate is much more interesting and controversial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Look at the cost of rent in Santa Monica, and tell me why Section 8 should have to pay that much money to keep a roof over the Op's head? The amount of money for a single mom and child to rent an apartment in Santa Monica, could provide Section 8 housing to several needy families living in other parts of the country.
The point you made above is one of the fundamental issues with Section 8. The whole purpose of it was to deconcentrate poverty away from housing projects and slums. Concentrating the poor in public housing projects was a massive failure so now the govt is trying to spread the poor over a much larger area. Does this really work or make anything better? Debatable.

Is it a temporary program? No, you can get it for your entire life. If you make more money, your rent goes up. What a great incentive to work more and get off Section 8.

Should Section 8 housing be basic housing (like public housing was) or should recipients be able to get nice brand new homes as long as the rent is within the payment standards for that area? As it is, they can get nearly brand new homes in many cases.

The bottom line is the way the law is written she can live in Santa Monica or rent a brand new home out in Palmdale if its within the maximum payment standard for her bedroom size. I see Santa Monica is about $1,800 for a 2 bedroom.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
This goes for everyone -- keep it on-topic and polite, please.

This is also not the thread to debate the pros and cons of Section 8 or its waiting list policies.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This goes for everyone -- keep it on-topic and polite, please.

This is also not the thread to debate the pros and cons of Section 8 or its waiting list policies.
Sorry Uptown, I have a tendency to fall into the "push my beliefs camp." I will refrain from that here. LOL

Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 PM

63 posts, read 209,597 times
My brother recently moved from Santa Monica to the Marina del Rey area (but on the inland side of Marina del Rey, technically Los Angeles) because he was able to rent a much nicer apartment for much less. Santa Monica has a lot of apartment buildings with deferred maintenance, probably at least in part because of rent control. I have lived in apartment buildings in both Brentwood and Pacific Palisades (both border Santa Monica), and both were nicer (nicer apartment and nicer neighborhood) than what I would have found in Santa Monica for the same amount of rent. I don't know about the availability of Section 8 housing in any of these areas, but that's my take on the apartment situation. I looked in Santa Monica myself, but couldn't bring myself to live in a tiny old apartment with no parking.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:31 PM

220 posts, read 372,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
Hi i am a U.S Navy veteran, 30 years old with a 12+ years of responsible rental tenancy before being accepted for the section 8 program.I also have good credit history.I have a school aged child and I myself am a full time student.

I have a section 8 voucher and I'm looking for affordable AND safe section 8 in Santa Monica, CA. I am relocating from Columbus, Ohio.

My problem is that the Santa Monica housing authority has advised me they only have a "handful" of properties available and they will not send me a list of available housing units.

How in the world I will be able to find housing without being in California is beyond me so I plan to make a trip in mid March but I'm very worried I won't be able to find housing in the time that I'm out there let alone coordinate the transferrance of my voucher in time so that my daughter and i will not be without housing. I am set to move at the end of April/beginning of May timeframe.

If anyone knows of real estate agents/owners or property who rent to section 8 voucher holders and are looking for a responsible, and quiet tenant please respond to this as I want a great environment for myself and my daughter. Also any additional info would be helpful.

Any information/tips/contacts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Tiffany
I'll just warn you, as another section 8 voucher holder, that it is very difficult to port and be absorbed into another part of the country. First of all, where ever you got your original voucher from, is the payment amount about the same as Santa Monica CA? CA is an expensive state. You can port for a year, but your voucher from original state may not be as much so you may be paying a lot more out of pocket. Secondly, have you contacted the housing office in county Santa Monica is in? Are they absorbing? Many very popular places aren't at this time. I'm moving to NY from HI about same time you are relocating to CA. I already know where I am going, Westchester Co. NY, isn't absorbing. The first year, Hawaii will pay for my voucher (porting), but after that I will not be absorbed into NY Westchester Co. system as of now. I've decided to move anyway, but I already know that after one year, I will probably lose Section 8 rental assistance. If you are going as a student, does the college have housing for single parents? That might be more affordable if you have to lose Section 8 to get to Santa Monica.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscherie View Post
I don't know how this conversation went from me asking for people's help with finding housing to people being condescending and criticizing me for the choices I make and for wanting better for both my daughter and myself.

I imagine it might be more convenient for some people if everyone receiving assistance(those elderly, disabled, and veterans along with everyday citizens were all housed together in a nice tidy package to the hood so that we wouldn't intrude on people like you who quite obviously look down on us.
That actually did happen and the problem with that is that people were born into poverty generation after generation and saw nothing outside of their community. People lived in "projects"(some still do) and never got far in life. This is the reason of a section 8 voucher and its portability.
So that people who want to get out can and those who want the best schools and environment can do everything within their power to make sure their child is afforded every opportunity that would not be possible otherwise that will lend the childs success.

If Santa Monica accepts the voucher why should I feel ashamed for wanting to move there because of other people who have a problem with it?

Multiculturalism and diverse economic backgrounds is a horrible thing? Ignorance and discrimination most definitely are.

As I stated above I am a U.S military veteran, law abiding citizen, hardworking full time student and loving full time single mom.
I NEVER said I was entitled to anything NOR did I communicate in any way. I simply want better for my daughter and I and want to carry out my dreams and vision for us. I have great rental history, good credit, a wonderful beautiful and intelligent daughter. I am a great quiet, and respectful tenant and woman who worked 15 out of my 30 years thus far most of which was spent serving in the military to defend your freedoms and the freedom of this nation.I have paid taxes just like all of you and worked 80+ hour weeks in the military. Who are you to diivy up what someone else is or isn't entitled to or deserving of?

Some people could benefit by not judging another's situation when they don't know all the factors that led that person to be where they are today.

If some people's comments on here are any read of what I might encounter out there, may God help both my daughter and I because some of the things said are hurtful and ignorant.
I should also have warned you of this attitude on CD forums about Section 8. I greatly respect your desire to have a better life for you and you dear daughter. You sound like my sister, a single parent with a lovely 5-yr. old and a dead beat ex-boyfriend (I call him the "sperm donnor"). She has proven to me that her love for her daughter is so very unselfish thaI now want to be very much apart of their lives. She has left the dead beat for the past 2 years,and has struggled to make a better life.

I support you and I know that MANY GOOD PEOPLE need Section 8 and are on it. I live in a house of Section 8 tenants, and 4 out of 5 are ideal neighbors, quiet, hard working, responsible, but the way some people talk on these CD Section 8 forums, you'd believe that ALL Section 8 people are drug addicts and loafers and have a poverty mentality. Some do the 5th person at my house has a definite poverty mentality, and he causes a lot of problems, but he isn't unsafe and I've kept him on a short leash as of late.

Don't be discouraged, dear lady. You know your own heart. There are cruel people all over the place, on CD Forum, also, but also those who care. I care. Best of luck!!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
mscherie, I hope you didn't think I was being critical of your choice of Santa Monica. It's a lovely city, and if that's where you want to live and you are able to then you should. I lived there with my family for awhile when I was a kid in the 60s. We were working class poor. The city has changed so much, but I'm glad to know that there are at least some places that are available to pople with less money to live on.

Why do so many people think being low-income is something to be ashamed of, almost as if it's a crime? I hope you find a good place for you and your daughter to live.
Excellent post!! And very true as well as gracious! In the USA, people think that being poor is the same as being a criminal, in many instances. On one hand, I do understand the stereotype because the truth is there are people with a poverty mentality and as a person on Section 8 that was raised in a middle class background, those people are very difficult to deal with. Some are on Section 8, but, of course, not all people on Section 8 came from a disadvantaged background and haven't been able to overcome the poverty syndrome. I didn't. I'm a college graduate with a BA, but I fell on hard times with my health 10 years ago. I've improved, but I'll never be able to work full-time again. I admit, I'm not one of those people that goes against doctor's orders and works myself into an early grave. I have too much to live for, esp. now, more than ever, as a small child has captivated me (my niece is the love of my life!!). If my priority for my health makes me lazy in some people's eyes, tough. I've never been one to be blackmailed by others narrow-minded opinions!! Thank you that you are the same!!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM

22 posts, read 18,683 times
Wow. Talk about seeing only what you want to see! She didn't say she was ABLE to work full-time.

You skipped right over the part where she said her doctor said that s/he would not support her going back to work. That usually means that in the DOCTOR'S PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL OPINION her disability is such that she would not be successful returning to full-time work. The doctor advising her to keep her disability and work part-time told her that because if it actually turns out that she CAN'T physically handle working full time, her disability will be gone, and she'll end up in a worse situation.

Can she come live with YOU if she gives up her disability to return to work full-time, and then FAILS to stay healthy enough to work? I think I know the answer to that. So, you should really save your judgment, because you won't be there to help her pick up the pieces when everything falls apart.

Why should she do that to herself just to make self-righteous people like you feel better?

And, she isn't taking "somebody's spot" by being on disability despite being willing to work full-time (and she might not even be on federal disability, there are other kinds). There are no "spots". She's not abusing the system by listening to her doctor, and she isn't part of the problem. FAKERS, and other types of abusers are the problem.

Lots of people WISH and WANT and are WILLING to do things that they are just not capable of doing. You ever heard of "wishful thinking"? Why does it seem like the concept applies to everyone, except people like this lady?

Lastly, you have a NERVE calling this woman selfish. If she's selfish, then she's got every right to be, considering that if she goes against her doctor and tries - and fails - to return to work full-time, she will have NOTHING to fall back on, and quite possibly nobody to help her pick the pieces back up!! We already know she can't come live with you if she makes the wrong choice! But, one thing we can be SURE of is that if she does try and fail, and end up indigent and homeless, you'll have negative things to say while throwing rocks at her head then, too.

If she's selfish, then you're MORE selfish, cruel, and heartless for not giving a damn about the aftermath and consequences of her betting on a long shot and losing. How arrogant and elitist of you to demand that she take these risks - just to appease you - when YOU stand to lose nothing if it doesn't work for her?

I just really can't believe some people.

God help us all, because we are surely on the road to a burning hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
You appear ready, willing, and able to work full time (and presumably leaving Section 8 assistance) but don't because your doctor indicated that getting back in will be hard. Have you stopped to consider that you are taking somebody's spot? Somebody that is not able to work full time.

These assistance programs have real value but they are so abused that it is of limited value. You are part of the problem.

I think the first step for reform is to quit calling it 'entitlements'. There really is a problem when people think that is what it is.

Become part of the solution. Work full time. Report that doctor. Help somebody else that might need it. Quit being selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles