Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM

38,904 posts, read 22,900,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce35 View Post
Man you guys are viscous! LoL!

Just out of curiosity, what jobs are in demand in LA? I'm from the East Coast and am very undecided on whether to move to San Diego or LA. I'm in Real Estate and I know the California market is hit or miss, or so I've been told.

The OP is probably not going to post anymore since you guys tore him/her apart for his/her...

If he or she does than please as a rule of thumb, your grammar has got to be better than what you are posting. If it's not and you need a job asap, i'd look into food services/waiting tables, or something along those lines.
Health care and education seem to be the most in demand here in L.A., but then again, with the economy the way it is, even those areas have experienced job cuts. San Diego job market is even tougher to get into, just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,783 times
Exclamation new job website

I was recently unemployed looking for jobs, and I realized that there are a lot of good job hunting websites out there. I found a new site called employist.com. There were all kinds of job postings and classifieds on there..most in los angeles, but even if you aren't from la, there might have been a few in there. They have a simple feature where you can upload your resume for employers to see (for free and no signup required) and that helped me a lot!

employist.com

Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 PM

171 posts, read 530,806 times
rogerswd, I'm sorry there have been so many mean people posting here. It makes me wonder how they treat people they meet face-to-face.

Not having perfect grammar (in English anyway) and and maybe an accent won't keep you from getting a job. I'm sorry I can't offer you any help looking for work. I'm not knowledgeable in that area.

I went to the website of the agency you mentioned. They seem quite good. If you have, or do, get through the screening and testing process with them they should be able to find employment for you.

Again, I'm sorry that so far no one has had any good suggestions for you. If some of the cranks who have posted here even have jobs I hope that it's not in customer service.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 AM

29 posts, read 117,240 times
All I can say is prepare for a chance that you won't. It's just the truth here in CA these days. I came over exactly 9 years ago, and it wasn't the best time back then, but still, it wasn't as bad as now. I went through a couple of tough (and I mean, REALLY) tough years, and then, right as we were about to quit and go back, it just started getting increasingly better.. until a year or so ago. So with some perseverance, you may get lucky.. but then again, you may not. linden52 is right that you don't have to speak good English to find a job in California, but it may severely limit you to not so desirable occupations.

Oh, and if you are in any sort of trade that commonly utilizes recruiters, just remember that they are leeches, and are all pretty much the same. They may be useful, and they use you in turn. Don't trust them too much, and don't expect them to pledge allegiance to you. Just take it as a fact of life. If you are marketable, they'll find you, if you are not, they won't help.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
I know that many of us may sound mean. The truth is that we have all heard the same story. Search the LA sub forum and read about people wanting to be actors, get jobs in pick a field, threads about people that will succeed even if others didn't. You will also find threads started by some of the same people, this time trying to get out of LA. People show up in the LA area everyday looking for a new life of some kind. Most of us will say the same thing, show up with a job in hand. Unemployment is very high here right now.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM

61 posts, read 99,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know that many of us may sound mean. The truth is that we have all heard the same story. Search the LA sub forum and read about people wanting to be actors, get jobs in pick a field, threads about people that will succeed even if others didn't. You will also find threads started by some of the same people, this time trying to get out of LA. People show up in the LA area everyday looking for a new life of some kind. Most of us will say the same thing, show up with a job in hand. Unemployment is very high here right now.
Yea I can see how that would be very annoying, but to jump down the OP throat for his grammar? Come on...

In any case anyone moving to LA to become famous should already know they will be in a crowd of millions, I want to move to LA/SD to be closer to try to enjoy my life and start my career. Why anyone would move to LA to become famous is beyond me but to each is own.

That must be why employers are more than reluctant to hire someone from out of state (like me).

Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,949 times
Am I the only one that thinks this is a troll post? One post and they're mentioning (with a website address) some company they "have went to."

Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this is a troll post? One post and they're mentioning (with a website address) some company they "have went to."
I've been had!

Nice catch

Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I've been had!

Nice catch
Thank-you.

(Now they'll come back and swear up and down that they're not a troll.)

Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
This is a classic case of forum "buzz marketing" spam. They're always one hit wonder drive-bys, and they always mention a company and post their link. I'm truly amazed at how many people continue to fall for this.

By the way, post#12 is buzz marketing spam as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles