Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,370 times

Advertisements

My budget is 1400 a month. Preferably a one bedroom or a studio is fine. I don't want to live with roommates if I can help it.

I'm gay and I'm 22. I don't necessarily think West Hollywood would be something I would be interested in mainly because of my concern of being separated from non-gay people. I want to be as close to the beach as I can. I'm moving to L.A. for a job in real estate. My work is in Santa Monica.

I like areas that are more modern and new. I like quiet areas that are accessible to fun and nightlife.

Beach is probably the most important thing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
West Hollywood would also be an unnecessarily long commute too especially if as a real estate person, you could possibly be making multiple trips from home to the field.

try Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjmccue View Post
My budget is 1400 a month. Preferably a one bedroom or a studio is fine. I don't want to live with roommates if I can help it.

I'm gay and I'm 22. I don't necessarily think West Hollywood would be something I would be interested in mainly because of my concern of being separated from non-gay people. I want to be as close to the beach as I can. I'm moving to L.A. for a job in real estate. My work is in Santa Monica.

I like areas that are more modern and new. I like quiet areas that are accessible to fun and nightlife.

Your budget can afford lots. Basically Venice, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey....if you find you need to move a few miles inland, West LA, Culver City, Westchester, Mar Vista, Palms, Westwood, are all fine. No one cares if you are gay. All are within 15-30 minute driving distance of nightlife, both straight or gay oriented. All have relatively quiet and peaceful neighborhoods and where you ultimately choose will have much to do with a combination of what you can afford and what your tolerance of traffic in the morning is.

Quote:
I like areas that are more modern and new
^^^^^^^^^This right here is not gonna happen. Most of LA was built up a long time ago. New build areas are not close to the beach with a few exceptions in OC.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
West Hollywood would also be an unnecessarily long commute too especially if as a real estate person, you could possibly be making multiple trips from home to the field.

try Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
very true. i'm working for a property management company so it is 9-5 but true all the same.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
You know what, I screwed up on one piece of advice.

Playa Vista in between Westchester and Marina Del Rey is an entirely new build community. I have no idea as to cost though.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Quote:

So despite being gay your plan is to separate yourself from the heart of the gay community?

You might be able to afford a studio in Santa Monica, though many of the good studios in SM are in the late 1000s.

Consider living in Brentwood/West LA/Westwood area, you can easily afford a studio or a 1br around there (depending on the building). Those 3 areas are centrally located, accessable to (straight) nightlife, close to the beach (but not right next to it), and if you do ever want to go to West Hollywood, it's only about 15 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles