Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
are you insinuating that people here are drug addicts? i haven't smoked weed since college (nearly 10 years ago) and barely even consume alcohol these days. also, the gateway theory has never been scientically proven (Gateway drug theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). good try though.
a person who uses and abuses is a addict be it pot, alcohol, gambeling, sex, food.......etc. When you state that Pot does not lead to other drugs or you agree that teens should be allowed. YOU"RE IN DENIAL...Maybe not you but ALL Addicts are in denial till they seek help for their addiction.

you may not be one but there are users that are. NA has loads of former pot smokers who only smoked pot or graduated.

You start letting teens smoke pot and like i said next they will DUI, commiting more crimes and graduating to other drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
a person who uses and abuses is a addict be it pot, alcohol, gambeling, sex, food.......etc. When you state that Pot does not lead to other drugs or you agree that teens should be allowed. YOU"RE IN DENIAL...Maybe not you but ALL Addicts are in denial till they seek help for their addiction.
correlation does not imply causation. your logic is extremely flawed. good try though.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
correlation does not imply causation. your logic is extremely flawed. good try though.

BRinSM you have some great posts on here...but, this is a matter of e-pinon so..lets move on okay

Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
agreed

Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM

89 posts, read 215,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadams View Post
I don't have any idea what issues the kids my kid was with in Ca. recently have to deal with. I only know one of them but according to my kid, these were kids from wealthy families (not me) where the parent's allowed partying in their homes but didn't seem to be present or my kid just didn't see them. They have bongs in their rooms in their parent's homes and they are still in high school. After reading the comments here, it seems that this doesn't seem to phase many of you. Is this what you would allow in your own homes with your kids?? What would you do if you had an 18 year old that obtained a medical marijuana card and still lived with you and hadn't graduated from high school yet? Just an honest question that deserves a respectful answer please.
I don't have kids, but once upon a time - a time before CA voters approved medical marijuana - I was in high school in L.A. I had a diverse group of friends. Most of them had tried pot, but only a few were regular users. Frequently (but not always), the parents knew and figured that there were worse things the kids could be doing... like trying to drive stoned.

Always, though, the regular users were kids from better-off families who didn't put studying or earning money as particularly high priorities. They never had, even before they started getting high. The teens who were thinking about holding after-school jobs, earning college scholarships or doing anything after high school but sleeping in? They might share a joint at a party, but that was it. Same held true for drinking.

I don't have kids, but if I had an 18-year-old, I'd expect him to follow house rules as long as he was living under my roof. If my hypothetical kid thought it was more important to get high for non-medical reasons than it was to follow the rules, he'd be welcome to move out.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:36 PM

235 posts, read 756,011 times
Quote:
Neither do I . Fact I don't know anyoone who does.
In fact I don't know anyoone either.

I do, however, know that a lot of people use a medicine called marijuana that is 100% more medicinal than any of the pills recommended and prescribed by doctors and counselors (even at schools- for children ).

@ OP (samadams)
Why do you care? They are 18- adults.
You cannot judge what is medical for someone.

You need to hit the vape and stop worrying about an unproblematic activity that holds no importance to your life.

I hate people that think they know best for everyone. If you hate marijuana then do not be around it, who cares if your daughter/son hangout with people that do, that is their choice and not yours.

My mom is a raging republican and I always take my medicine around her or not- any intelligent person can conclude that marijuana is not "bad." Only closed minded people who let the propaganda soak into them "fear" the herb.

@ 30STM
There is no addiction to marijuana, such flawed statements make you seem like an idiot, maaaaann. Weed is not a gateway drug, but i guess this will make you mad, since you really believe that and all. And you know best, and all. Honestly who the hell goes to rehab for weed? It is not addicting. It does not lead to other "drugs.'
Alcohol- found everywhere publicly, in homes w/ children- that ruins people. It changes people. It breaks people down until only little demons are left. Violent crimes are committed while drunk- abuse. People drive fcking crazy drunk- they go buy and drink their booze at a public place that is accepted. Fights happen at these places, there are freaking bouncers because they know people are going to switch off their reason and go stupid.

Point is, green is awesome. Free the weed- free the mind.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:36 PM

10 posts, read 8,631 times
Great response. There will be an empty bedroom in my house too if drugs are more important than school after graduating high school. Will be the hardest thing I will ever have done but it won't be a surprise.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
In fact I don't know anyoone either.

I do, however, know that a lot of people use a medicine called marijuana that is 100% more medicinal than any of the pills recommended and prescribed by doctors and counselors (even at schools- for children ).

@ OP (samadams)
Why do you care? They are 18- adults.
You cannot judge what is medical for someone.

You need to hit the vape and stop worrying about an unproblematic activity that holds no importance to your life.

I hate people that think they know best for everyone. If you hate marijuana then do not be around it, who cares if your daughter/son hangout with people that do, that is their choice and not yours.

My mom is a raging republican and I always take my medicine around her or not- any intelligent person can conclude that marijuana is not "bad." Only closed minded people who let the propaganda soak into them "fear" the herb.

@ 30STM
There is no addiction to marijuana, such flawed statements make you seem like an idiot, maaaaann. Weed is not a gateway drug, but i guess this will make you mad, since you really believe that and all. And you know best, and all. Honestly who the hell goes to rehab for weed? It is not addicting. It does not lead to other "drugs.'
Alcohol- found everywhere publicly, in homes w/ children- that ruins people. It changes people. It breaks people down until only little demons are left. Violent crimes are committed while drunk- abuse. People drive fcking crazy drunk- they go buy and drink their booze at a public place that is accepted. Fights happen at these places, there are freaking bouncers because they know people are going to switch off their reason and go stupid.

Point is, green is awesome. Free the weed- free the mind.

Explain to me then since you're so smart and I am IDIOT...why people go to rehab and NA meetings for weed addiction? BTW the ones that don't have insureance, the tax payers pay for it. Maybe you should call NA or a REHAB to get 12 steped...SMARTY PANTZ

Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadams View Post
After a recent visit to L.A. I was left really concerned about the ease to get Medical Marijuana Cards once you become 18. The Centers seem to be on almost every corner in the Valley and the "doctors" are all over Venice Beach area. My teen knows other teens that are still living at home in high school that all have the cards. Have the parent's just given up now that kids are 18 and let them get these cards even though they don't have a legal medical condition?
Those 18 year olds are adults.

Quote:
Explain to me then since you're so smart and I am IDIOT...why people go to rehab and NA meetings for weed addiction? BTW the ones that don't have insureance, the tax payers pay for it. Maybe you should call NA or a REHAB to get 12 steped...SMARTY PANTZ
How about you explain how a sizable part of our population drinks and enjoys alcohol, yet only a very small fraction ever require AA.

California's medical marijuana laws are our way of legalizing pot, along with the $100 "ticket" for those who don't have the medical marijuana card caught with pot. How else can these two laws be explained other than de facto legalization? And yes, there are plenty of doctors who will issue you the necessary permit for $100-$200, and yes there are an awful lot of marijuana dispensaries, surely more than I can count, and I've even seen two within a few hundred feet of each other. Obviously marijuana is legal for most intents and purposes.

My advice, if it bothers you that much don't let your "kid" come to California. Problem solved!*

* except that pot is sold illegally in every state

Old 03-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Marijuana Treatment - Substance Abuse Tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles