Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,705,705 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling over from the Grapevine on I-5 to attend an event at the Los Angeles Convention Center scheduled to commence on March 15th at 10:00 am.

According to Google Map, I'm to continue southbound on I-5, then take the CA-110 S Pasadena Freeway towards Los Angeles.

Question 1: How is traffic between 7 am and 9 am? I plan on being there at 9:00 at allow ample time to find parking. I need to know at what time I need to be in the Santa Clarita area to be at the convention by 9 am.

Question 2: Any recommendations for public parking that is within walking distance to the convention center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,223,289 times
there is a parking structure at the convention you can use, i believe you access it from Pico Blvd. As for traffic, it is going to be terrible all the way from the santa clarita valley into downtown LA. you'll be stuck in rush hour traffic the entire way. you may consider using the metrolink train which i believe has a station in saugus.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM

How terrible? Maybe I should be in the Santa Clarita area around 7 am just be on the safe side?

I usually take the 405 for my other trips to LA, but have not gone all the way down via I-5 in years. I remember crawling along the freeway for almost 1.5 hours just to get to my doctor's appointment. I *hate* LA traffic.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,191,317 times
I'd take Metrolink too. That would take you into Union Station (downtown LA) and from there, you can just ask directions to the Convention Center (by DASH bus most likely).

Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,643,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
How terrible? Maybe I should be in the Santa Clarita area around 7 am just be on the safe side?

I usually take the 405 for my other trips to LA, but have not gone all the way down via I-5 in years. I remember crawling along the freeway for almost 1.5 hours just to get to my doctor's appointment. I *hate* LA traffic.
Yes.

For parking, there are public lots everywhere.

There are expensive lots near the convention center and less expensive ones further out.

I'm honestly NOT sure of parking costs for daytime events near the convention center and its entirely possibly that there are ones that are close and are $5-10. So take my advice here with a grain of salt. During evening events those lots are $25, but I am NOT sure about day time.

There are lots near 8th/Fig that are $5 or $6 for all day. To get to these, take the 110 south and exit at 9th street going east. After you go under the freeway, move to the left lane when you can, and turn left on Fig. Stay in the left lane(9th and Fig are both one way) and turn left right away on the little side street there. No signal and its a bit tough to see. Go to the end of that street, theres about 3 lots there. Use the cheapest one. 4 block walk to the convention center.

OR....take 9th to Hope St. Turn left on Hope. DO NOT USE THE RALPHS LOT!!!!!! Go to the next covered lot. Turn left into it. Should be $6 for the day. Also a lot there on the corner of 8th/Hope. Should be $5 or so. That area is about 4 block walk to convention center also.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,223,289 times
Quote:
7am isn't even the beginning of rush hour from santa clarita. you'd need to be on the road closer to 6 through santa clarita to avoid the worst of the traffic. good luck!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 AM

46 posts, read 185,216 times
If you really want to avoid the driving/parking issues, why don't you take Metrolink? Park at the Newhall Station which is pretty close to I5. There's a train that leaves at 7:59 which will get you to union station at 8:52. Most of the riders on Metrolink are long distance commuters and are very quiet so you can get some rest on the way into downtown and Union Station.

From Union Station, transfer to the Metro Red Line subway and transfer again at 7th Street/ Metro Center to the Blue Line. Get off at the next stop at Pico and the convention center is across the street. The connections are pretty easy and it will probably take 15 mins or so to get from Union Station to the Convention Center.

One thing. When you buy your Metrolink ticket, make sure to get the "round trip ticket" which covers your transfers to the Red and Blue lines as well as your travel in both directions on Metrolink. It's $17. Just buy the ticket at the vending machine on the platform, and hold onto it for all your trips as proof of payment.

It's really pretty easy.

Here's the schedule for the Metrolink line that runs out to the Santa Clarita Valley.

Metrolink :: Antelope Valley Line (Mon-Fri)

Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkatmu View Post
If you really want to avoid the driving/parking issues, why don't you take Metrolink? Park at the Newhall Station which is pretty close to I5. There's a train that leaves at 7:59 which will get you to union station at 8:52. Most of the riders on Metrolink are long distance commuters and are very quiet so you can get some rest on the way into downtown and Union Station.

From Union Station, transfer to the Metro Red Line subway and transfer again at 7th Street/ Metro Center to the Blue Line. Get off at the next stop at Pico and the convention center is across the street. The connections are pretty easy and it will probably take 15 mins or so to get from Union Station to the Convention Center.

One thing. When you buy your Metrolink ticket, make sure to get the "round trip ticket" which covers your transfers to the Red and Blue lines as well as your travel in both directions on Metrolink. It's $17. Just buy the ticket at the vending machine on the platform, and hold onto it for all your trips as proof of payment.

It's really pretty easy.

Here's the schedule for the Metrolink line that runs out to the Santa Clarita Valley.

Metrolink :: Antelope Valley Line (Mon-Fri)

Thanks. I really appreciate the detailed information on how to get there. It sounds like taking the Metrolink from Santa Clarita is the way to go.

To everyone else, I appreciate your help!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:46 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,151,995 times
Quote:
Thanks. I really appreciate the detailed information on how to get there. It sounds like taking the Metrolink from Santa Clarita is the way to go.

To everyone else, I appreciate your help!
I agree with the train directions provided by jarkatmu but at the 7th and Flower station, I would just walk south on Figueroa to the Convention Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles