Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 PM

150 posts, read 244,106 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in LA this week looking at houses rent and possibly buy if the perfect one popped up. We have put 900 miles on the rental in 7 day so we have general idea of the areas we like. We stopped in a realty office in La Crescenta to get some advice. I'm still wondering if what we experienced was a joke. The realtor was Korean and seemed ok at first.

He then asked where were moving from and our background, etc. My wife and I both have multiple graduate degrees and have good paying jobs. After hearing this he immediately told us that Tujunga was the area to avoid for people like us. He said it is blue collar and only mechanics live there.

I'm assuming he was offended that two white educated professionals would want to live in a place like Tujunga. He then asked what cars we drive because "everything in LA is determined by the car you drive." He seemed even more frustrated that we drive a Prius and a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. I guess in LA these cars are not acceptable for our income and education level. Then he went on for a few more minutes babbling about how the different races in LA are not integrated and in fact have much dislike for one another.
Also, Asians are the only thing that keeps a school district good but they can't take care of their houses.

At this point, my gut instinct was to slap this ******* upside his head. If he could only have realized that I was unimpressed during his speech and, in fact, laughing like mad in my head. We politely left and have been laughing about it for two days. What's sad is that genius thought he was really impressing us but really we think he's a sad, sad little man.

I knew before moving here that many Angelenos are superficial and materialistic but I never imagined I would have experienced something like that.

I hope this isn't what we are in store for. Anyone else ever experience someone like this?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 AM

121 posts, read 283,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
My wife and I are in LA this week looking at houses rent and possibly buy if the perfect one popped up. We have put 900 miles on the rental in 7 day so we have general idea of the areas we like. We stopped in a realty office in La Crescenta to get some advice. I'm still wondering if what we experienced was a joke. The realtor was Korean and seemed ok at first.

I'm assuming he was offended that two white educated professionals would want to live in a place like Tujunga. He then asked what cars we drive because "everything in LA is determined by the car you drive." He seemed even more frustrated that we drive a Prius and a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. I guess in LA these cars are not acceptable for our income and education level. Then he went on for a few more minutes babbling about how the different races in LA are not integrated and in fact have much dislike for one another.
Also, Asians are the only thing that keeps a school district good but they can't take care of their houses.

At this point, my gut instinct was to slap this ******* upside his head. If he could only have realized that I was unimpressed during his speech and, in fact, laughing like mad in my head. We politely left and have been laughing about it for two days. What's sad is that genius thought he was really impressing us but really we think he's a sad, sad little man.

I knew before moving here that many Angelenos are superficial and materialistic but I never imagined I would have experienced something like that.

I hope this isn't what we are in store for. Anyone else ever experience someone like this?
No matter where you go, you will find SOME idiots. This guy sounds like an idiot (a very misinformed and shallow one).

Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
In his little world he is a king.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:

He then asked where were moving from and our background, etc. My wife and I both have multiple graduate degrees and have good paying jobs. After hearing this he immediately told us that Tujunga was the area to avoid for people like us. He said it is blue collar and only mechanics live there.

There's a certain amount of truth to his comments.

If you have been to the Sunland/Tujunga, you'll find a "biker element".
A lot of people would agree that a car type influences the impression of the driver (not just in LA though).
The number of Asians present in a school district correlates with test scores more than any other minority's presence in a school district.
Anybody want to disagree with his assessment of race relations?

The Prius comment seems off though.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,180 times
I drive my Prius proudly!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,014 times
It kind of reminds me of a similarly weird experience my doctor friend (who's Filipina) had with a realtor while house-hunting in La Canada/Flintridge. The agent was Asian and kept interjecting racially tinged comments out of the blue. He said older white residents are resentful of further encroachment by Asians in the foothills and how difficult it would be to get her child into preschool since they institute Asian quotas. And then he goes on to say there are good Asian preschools in the area but her child won't fit in since she's not Chinese or Korean!

About the Prius though, I've noticed that status-conscious Asians seem to still covet the luxury marques (MB, BMW, Lexus) and are kinda out-of-step with today's white yuppie taste for environmental conservation & practicality. Prius & wagons are just as popular as E-classes & SUV's here on the Westside, so don't worry at all.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
May I suggest that you replace "many" with "some"? It'll mentally put you in a better frame of mind prior to relocating, because I'm sure you're not a fan of stereotypes. Especially Asian stereotypes.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM

150 posts, read 244,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
May I suggest that you replace "many" with "some"? It'll mentally put you in a better frame of mind prior to relocating, because I'm sure you're not a fan of stereotypes. Especially Asian stereotypes.
Maybe you shouldn't assume we're Asian, because we're not. I'm not sure why you think we're Asian considering I said we are white in the OP.

Try reading the OP with a bit of comprehension before you make suggestions. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:36 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
I thought I was picking up on some English usage tells. Doesn't matter really. No matter who you are, just don't come here with that "many Angelenos are superficial and materialistic" horse**** attitude, lest you find yourself complaining about "how hard it is to find friends in L.A." in this very thread a year after moving here. Be open-minded and leave your silly prejudices behind you.

Word from the wise.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Why did you tell us he was Korean?

Does that make a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: