Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,699,831 times

Advertisements

Pretty revealing to see how little we've come since the Civil Rights era.

The 10 most segregated urban areas in America - War Room - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Like most of America the country's two largest cities aren't really segregated by race these days and instead it is segregated by social class. Unfortunately, for reasons I won't get into blacks and hispanics are over represented in the lower classes.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post

Blue People and Green People and Orange People and Purple People can live wherever they want. It is illegal for them to be prevented from doing so.

Do you think there is a problem? If so, what solution do you have?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,699,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Blue People and Green People and Orange People and Purple People can live wherever they want. It is illegal for them to be prevented from doing so.

Do you think there is a problem? If so, what solution do you have?
I think whenever there is segregation, there are problems. I don't think segregation by race was made out of choice by different racial groups. Like Oerdin suggested, it has more to do with the socioeconomic disparity between groups. The obvious solution is to provide equal access to equal opportunities like good schools instead of few in the elite areas of Los Angeles.

Again, I'm not trying to look at the issue as a racial issue, but it is hard to ignore the relationship that exists between Hispanics and poor neighborhoods/schools, as one example.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I think whenever there is segregation, there are problems. I don't think segregation by race was made out of choice by different racial groups. Like Oerdin suggested, it has more to do with the socioeconomic disparity between groups. The obvious solution is to provide equal access to equal opportunities like good schools instead of few in the elite areas of Los Angeles.

Again, I'm not trying to look at the issue as a racial issue, but it is hard to ignore the relationship that exists between Hispanics and poor neighborhoods/schools, as one example.

The schools are the same in all parts of Los Angeles. It is illegal for them to be different. They get the same amount of money per kid, they have the same budget for computers and technology, etc. When people write "bad schools" what they really mean is schools with poor academic performance and other problems like violence, drugs, and gangs or challenges such as high percent ESL.

The schools don't make the kids. The kids make the schools.

Here's the text describing the technology program at Dorsey High (near Crenshaw and Exposition). From it, you'll see that the same opportunities exist at Dorsey as exists at traditionally "good" schools like El Camino.
Program Overview

Dorsey High School is located in the inner city of Los Angeles. The Math/Science Magnet has a population of approximately 250 students, grades 9 through 12, 75% African American 24% Hispanic and 1% Asian and Caucasian. A Magnet Coordinator, an academic counselor, a clerk, and 11 highly motivated and dedicated teachers administer the program. Smaller classes, selected staff, and an active parent organization facilitate the development of a comprehensive academic program.

Educational Philosophy

This program is designed for a highly motivated, self—discplined, self-directed student, who is goal-oriented and tenacious. Math/Science curriculum is the major focus, and we hope to attract students who are interested in pursuing careers in these areas; however, students who are successful with this rigorous course of study will he successful in most career choices.

The Math/Science Magnet is a college incentive magnet. Academic courses are rigorous and most classes utilize computers. Students who successfully complete program offerings/requirements, exceed the standards for UC and Cal State entrance. The school offers AP and honors classes in social science, science, math, Spanish and English. Magnet students ate required to take four yeats of English and are strongly encouraged to take four years of math and science, and three years of a foreign language. It is our goal that every student maintains a C or better in every class.

Program Objectives

* To create within the student the philosophy of being self- self—motivated and self—disciplined;
* To become computer literate;
* To increase competencies in math and science;
* To increase the number of students enrolled in and passing Advanced Placement math and science classes;
* To increase the number of qualified students enrolled in honors and Advanced Placement classes;
* To develop competency in oral language and public speaking;
* To develop time management skills;
* To help students gain a greater awareness of their potential;
* To instill within students the in of community involvement;
* To assist students with gaining greater knowledge of math and science careers;
* To encourage students to value knowledge, its power and its positive force

Academic Enrichment

The MESA Program (Math Engineering Science Achievement), and FSEA (Future Scientists and Engineers of America), are both enrichment programs in math and science. The MESA Program seeks to ensure that under-represented students meet the requirements for UCLA and other UC campuses. The college curriculum for this program is interfaced with the standard curriculum in selected science and math honors classes. FSEA is a nationally acclaimed science program, which meets on a weekly basis. Both programs offer students hands-on scientific experiences. We strongly encourage and recommend that students become involved in these activities.

Circle Scholars Honor Society

The Math/Science Magnet understands the importance of a sound, competitive, academic program. Qualifications for this honor society include a minimum of 1000 on the SAT or 22 on the ACT, a minimum 3.0 GPA per semester for four years. Students must be of sound character and demonstrate academic integrity. Students meeting the criteria for membership are awarded academic sweaters, pins and wear gold cords at graduation. This is an effort to reward students for their academic accomplishments and to encourage students to strive for excellence. Math/Science Magnet students have been majority recipients of this award.

Post Secondary Education

Ninety-five to 97% of magnet students attend a post-secondary institution. Approximately 50% of our graduating seniors are accepted at and attend major UC campuses eg. UCLA, UC Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Riverside, Davis, or Cal State. The remaining 50% attend community colleges, technical training schools, or continue their education via military service.

Community Service

Service to one's community strengthens and builds character, instills a sense of responsibility, promotes student awareness, facilitates a strong community bond, and meets the requirements of the Cal State and UC systems. Students must commit to a minimum of 30 hours per school year in order to fulfill all magnet requirements and receive a Math/Science Magnet tassel upon graduation.

Enrichment Activities

Magnet students'leadership abilities are demonstrated in every aspect of student life at Dorsey Senior High School.

Students are members of the junior and senior class steering committees, they hold student body and class offices, are members of the School Site Council, and are members of school interviewing committees.

Students participate in medical internships and symposiums in state and across the nation. Magnet students also play major roles on the athletic teams for the school.

Parent Involvement

The Math/Science Magnet recognized that it truly does take a village to raise a child. We adhere to the "whole child" philosophy. Parents are an intricate and crucial part of our program.

We strongly encourage parents to join our Math/Science Magnet Parent Organization, and become active participants in the education of children.

We are committed to academic excellence, and our goal is for every child to be successful.

Last edited by Charles; 04-01-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM

363 posts, read 558,069 times
Houston seems to be the most unsegregated city I've ever visited. More so than Dallas but I hear that Dallas is rapidly becoming more integrated in recent years.

Los Angeles prefers segregation and Latins there are extremely prejudice towards Blacks and Asians.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Houston seems to be the most unsegregated city I've ever visited [you concluded this on your trip there as you drove from the airport to the hotel and back two days later?]. More so than Dallas but I hear that Dallas is rapidly becoming more integrated in recent years.

Los Angeles prefers segregation and Latins there are extremely prejudice towards Blacks and Asians.
You measured all this, right? You have data to support this, right?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Houston seems to be the most unsegregated city I've ever visited. More so than Dallas but I hear that Dallas is rapidly becoming more integrated in recent years.

And Asians are extremely prejudiced against Blacks and Mexicans. Hell, Asians can barely tolerate someone who isn't from their own province in the old country.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:

Just because cities still have a level of segregation doesn't mean we haven't come a long way since the Civil Rights era at all. I'd venture to guess segregation was way worse back then and there will probably always be some form of segregation in our cities. Ands considering areas used to have racially restrictive covenants to prevent certain races from living in certain areas, I'd say we have come along way. Maybe some cities more so than others though. Also none of these cities are in the south, where most of the historical segregation issues and battles were fought.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm only prejudiced against people who are inferior to me.

- Archie Bunker

Here's one of the all time classics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQfASpUYKSU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles