Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times

Advertisements

Haha you're right. People do have misconceptions of the OC. OC is close to 40% Hispanic. Santa Ana is about 80% Hispanic and a lot of immigrants. While immigrants first used to go to LA, now Santa Ana is the new destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
There has been a long time dialogue, if you will, about LA vs. the OC. Funny thing though...if you over generalize each area you are led to believe that the OC is a Waspy, affluent and crime free zone and LA is a minority ridden sh*thole where they dump the dead bodies at the curb every Tuesday morning for City pick up.

IMO, the truth is that each area, like most cities / counties, has a mix of everything and has areas most would enjoy being in and areas where most would want to avoid.

Personally, I like the beach, so in the LA area, I'd pick Manhattan Beach. In the OC, I'd pick Laguna Beach. Based on that snippet, I'd have to give the OC the edge though either would be an amazing place to live.
I'd like to add that Orange County has a lot of sex crime and has a sizable proportion of predators.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'd like to add that Orange County has a lot of sex crime and has a sizable proportion of predators.
No way! There is no crime in the OC!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:22 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Every city is overrated. When it's all said and done, we all live pretty much the same lives no matter where we live. We go to work, we go home, we eat, we sleep, repeat. When we actually have a day off from work, we eat, we drink, we sleep.

We fixate on cities changing our lives, but really, life doesn't change that much.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I recently visited there and its not all its cracked up to be, its nothing like what they show on the t.v. Kind of depressing city actually with Horrible traffic!
Please enlighten us on a city in the US that has more to offer than Los Angeles.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Every city is overrated. When it's all said and done, we all live pretty much the same lives no matter where we live. We go to work, we go home, we eat, we sleep, repeat. When we actually have a day off from work, we eat, we drink, we sleep.

We fixate on cities changing our lives, but really, life doesn't change that much.

I agree to an extent, but when I was a kid it certainly seemed like I took advantage of the LA area a lot more. I remember being able to enjoy much of what the city has to offer. Why do we have to grow up?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
I didn't find LA overrated. It actually lived up to my expectations when I visited. I was mostly in the West Side and a couple of South LA nabes like Inglewood, Westchester, and the LAX area and a couple parts of Central LA like Hollywood. Would love to check out DTLA, Melrose, WeHo, Pasadena, South Bay, Catalina Island, Malibu, K-Town, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Expo Park, Angeles National Forest Park (correct name?), Griffith Park, etc. next time around. I still want to get to know the place more.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 PM

150 posts, read 281,747 times
It's easy to get an impression of a city, but nearly all of them have some redeeming qualities. LA is huge, and a lot has to do with where you choose to hang out.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
also the people of los angeles are not as diverse as everyone on these forum say... I say mostly whites/asians and hispanics whats so diverse about that?
LA is the most diverse city in the USA as of a 2011 research study done by CNN. Lots of White and Latinos for sure but also huge groups of Blacks, North Africans/West Asians, South and East Asians, even native peoples from around the world. And LA has lots to do. You were just probably not there for long enough to see and do everything, or you went to the wrong places. Perhaps a combination of both.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
There's not a city on the planet that doesn't have flaws of one kind or another, and LA's scary traffic is very well known whether you're a longtime resident or visitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles