Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 PM

32 posts, read 43,312 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm moving to LA in August and I need some advice on apartment hunting from a distance. Right now, I live in Pennsylvania and plan to visit in July to line up the apartment, but I'm not sure what I should do to make the July trip as good as it can be. I'm gonna be moving to the SFV (Sherman Oaks, Studio City area most likely).

Are there any good websites to check out? Any sections of the SFV to avoid? I'm looking for someplace safe/quiet. When I check out the apartments, what should I look for on site? Are there any good warning signs that I should go with a certain apartment? Is it reasonable to think I could visit and sign a lease the same day when I visit the area?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Where will you be working?

If you think there is a correlation between what you want in a neighborhood and school test scores, then check this out:

School Performance Maps

Here is a neat tool for finding apartments

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Old 05-21-2011, 09:50 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Rent.com. Sign up for a free account. A lot of the smaller buildings post vacancies on there and on WestsideRentals (which costs you) as opposed to Craigslist. Set up appointments only a few days before since stuff goes fast. When you see a place on Rent.com, note the management company name and check out their website too.

If you want Sherman Oaks, I would advise stay between Ventura and the 101. That means most stuff you need is walkable along Ventura. Plus north of the 101 it gets a less nice as you head north.

Studio City stay along Ventura..it is a bit more spread out. There is a Red line subway station at Universal in Studio City, but the apartments near there aren't near as much stuff as west on Ventura.

The rest of the SFV is not really walkable, lots of roads, sidewalks, and traffic thoughl just very spread out.

The NoHo Arts District is walkable, but I'm not sure of the amenities such as supermarkets, big box stores etc.

If you want walkable, I would stick to Sherman Oaks or Studio City.

Randomly; a lot of places in LA do not come with refrigerators or microwaves. Kind of annoying because you have to buy one here. Plus, dishwashers are a commodity, same with central air. I got lucky with the two latter ones. I had to buy a fridge and microwave when I came out here. The microwave was only $55 at target, the fridge was a pain to buy, but I had no choice.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM

157 posts, read 504,834 times
I bought a cheap fridge and seems it didn't last even three years. Now I have to get a new one again.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm not sure where I'll be working but, like everyone else, the goal is media (tv writing specifically), so I want to be near my kind of people with the same goals. I'm fine with office jobs and small companies, and I'm sure Sherman Oaks and Studio City will have plenty like anywhere else.

Weird to hear that some places don't come with fridges or microwaves, that's a surprise. I'll have to keep my eyes open for those.

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfan View Post
(tv writing specifically),
Do people still watch TV (or go to malls, or read newspapers, or use wristwatches)?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:56 PM

I've been looking at apartments and thought of another question: is the "must have proof of income" part negotiable? When I get to LA I won't have a job lined up initially, but (of course) will be constantly looking until hired. I also have savings set aside to last me a few months, along with family support if needed. I can prove I have savings, and a work history that shows I'm not a slacker or anything, but will that be good enough?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Depends on the landlord. Some are cool with it, others aren't. Luck of the draw. There's really no bright line answer.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,862 times
I suggest subletting a place or doing a vacation rental that way you don't have to go through the income/application thing. Try Craigslist or HomeAway or Airbnb.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 PM

I had another thought on the hunt for apartments, but I need some help. Does LA have any kind of local classified publications? I'm thinking of something like a weekly book of classified ads, the book being on sale at grocery stores, things like that. My area has something called Paper Shop Classifieds - Classifying Northeast Pennsylvania for 43 years!, and it's the kind of thing you could never find unless you lived in the area. Does LA have stuff like this?

Also, do they have weekly newspapers w/ event listings and stuff? I've seen those in every town I've ever visited but forgot to look for them in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles