Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 23,311 times

Advertisements

I just moved here to Los Angeles from Tennessee, where I had a large garden in my backyard. Gardening is a hobby of my wife and I. We want to plant our own garden here, but we would like to know what kind of flowers grow well in this climate? Is there a website or something with a map of the world and what flowers grow where or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,334 times
my mom & grandma used to be bigtime gardeners and have spent hundreds at specialty nurseries & garden shows (like the Huntington & Descanso sales). Pick up a copy of Sunset's Western Garden book, it's like the bible for SoCal landscapers.

And because native/Mediterranean plants are all the rage right now, check out the websites for San Marcos Growers & Native Sons Nursery. Both are major growers that sell plants to retailers like Armstrong's. In fact you can basically special order any plant from them through Armstrong's (as long as it's in season).

Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 23,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
my mom & grandma used to be bigtime gardeners and have spent hundreds at specialty nurseries & garden shows (like the Huntington & Descanso sales). Pick up a copy of Sunset's Western Garden book, it's like the bible for SoCal landscapers.

And because native/Mediterranean plants are all the rage right now, check out the websites for San Marcos Growers & Native Sons Nursery. Both are major growers that sell plants to retailers like Armstrong's. In fact you can basically special order any plant from them through Armstrong's (as long as it's in season).
Cool, thanks SmokinGun I'll go try to find that book, and I think I know where Armstrong's is, so ill go there too. I also found this site with a bunch of types of flowers that has some information on when and where to plant.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
You'll really feel like a Californian if you plant a Bird of Paradise. Also, bouganvillea in a space for a large plant, and clivia in a shady spot.

Most plants do well in LA, especially if you're close to the beach. Bulb plants that require a winter chill (tulips, daffodils for example) are about the only thing that won't do well. I'd also avoid plants that need lots of water since LA goes through periods of drought from time to time.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,423 times
Default Bird of paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You'll really feel like a Californian if you plant a Bird of Paradise. Also, bouganvillea in a space for a large plant, and clivia in a shady spot.

Most plants do well in LA, especially if you're close to the beach. Bulb plants that require a winter chill (tulips, daffodils for example) are about the only thing that won't do well. I'd also avoid plants that need lots of water since LA goes through periods of drought from time to time.
Bird of paradise? That's like the same as the Heliconia isn't it? http://www.flower-dictionary.com/ima...flowers/96.jpg ?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Bougainvillea = messy.

Go for at least one hibiscus in addition to B of P for that So Cal look. Azaleas do well here.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM

63 posts, read 209,525 times
I love the way Agapanthus look, like a bunch of purple fireworks on long stems, and they do well in this area. Star Jasmine smells amazing and grows well here too.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,829 times
plant some palm trees in addition to flowers

Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
You can’t lose with bird of paradise, bougainvillea, agapanthus and ornamental grasses, because they're drought tolerant and require very little care. Add a few of your own favorites, and maybe rocks and a flowering cactus.

Agapanthus

Click image for larger version

Name:	define-agapanthus-lily-of-the-nile-1.jpg
Views:	4971
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	80952

Don’t forget palm trees and perhaps a fruit tree. The only downside to palm trees is the maintenance. I always have to hire someone to trim the two that I have in my backyard.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-08-2011 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Night-blooming jasmine as well. Very fragrant. Just keep it in the lower elevations as they don't tolerate the cold of the mts and HD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles