Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM

70 posts, read 178,163 times

Advertisements

I was just curious on how would it be to live in Los Angeles, would defenitely love the perspective of a New yorker who lived out there or a Angelino who lived in NYC. I hear a million different things about L.A. just wanted some first hand knowledge of the city.

I'm a 25 year old male born and raised in NY(Brooklyn) my whole life but really want to experiment and live out in Los angeles. I would be working in the hotel industry if I did make trhe move. I defenitely wouldnt be a stereotypical obnoxious New Yorker and remind everyone where I'm from or expect east things out there, I blend in and adapt pretty quickly to any environment. What I basically want to know is how is the city in general? how is the nightlife? in particular the dating scene? I was intrested in the hollywood neighborhood but was also looking into Silverlake, Koreatown or Los feliz. If your a NYer living their your persepctive will help a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexSteel View Post
What I basically want to know is

how is the city in general?

how is the nightlife?

in particular the dating scene?
What units do you want your answer in?

"How is the city in general?" I don't understand this question.

"How is the nightlife?"

How are we supposed to answer these questions? If I write "good", what does that mean?

When my kid asks me "Daddy, are we almost there?" the first thing I ask is "What does 'almost' mean?"

Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
I was just curious on how would it be to live in Los Angeles, would defenitely love the perspective of a New yorker who lived out there or a Angelino who lived in NYC. I hear a million different things about L.A. just wanted some first hand knowledge of the city.

I'm a 25 year old male born and raised in NY(Brooklyn) my whole life but really want to experiment and live out in Los angeles. I would be working in the hotel industry if I did make trhe move. I defenitely wouldnt be a stereotypical obnoxious New Yorker and remind everyone where I'm from or expect east things out there, I blend in and adapt pretty quickly to any environment. What I basically want to know is how is the city in general? how is the nightlife? in particular the dating scene? I was intrested in the hollywood neighborhood but was also looking into Silverlake, Koreatown or Los feliz. If your a NYer living their your persepctive will help a lot
There is nothing similar between LA and the East except that tons of NYers, Chicagoans, and Bostonians live in LA.

The closest Manhattan style areas in LA are West Hollywood and the NE portion of Hollywood. High population densities, walkable to neighborhood stores, walkable to restaurants/clubs/bars.

You have to drive here to get to other neighborhoods. The city is just so big. To put this into perspective, the entire Borough of Manhattan is 22 square miles. Just the Hollywood neighborhood is 20 square miles. Friends will expect you to drive as much to them as they do to you.

Traffic is as bad as everyone says. It is worse than Chicago's and far worse than NY.

Nightlife in LA is great. The difference here is every neighborhood has some. There are usually clusters of 4-5 bars in one place, then a mile and a half are another 4-5 bars. Exceptions are WeHo, Hollywood, and Downtown Santa Monica. Thus, the nightlife isn't concentrated.

Hollywood is a 200,000 person neighborhood over 20 square miles, so there are little neighborhoods within it. Generally everything north of Hollywood Blvd. is better than south of it. Hollywood is one of the older areas of LA so the apartment buildings are a bit older, but units are bigger, and parking is a bit tighter than in other parts of LA. Hollywood is a mix of everyone; race, ethnicity, and age.

Koreatown is kinda dumpy in my opinion. West of Western and North of 6th Street are better I think. I find the neighborhood bland too.

Silverlake and Los Feliz are pretty nice. Both are a bit less urban and more spread out than Hollywood. Both are trendy neighborhoods, filled with hipsters. The equivalents to Williamsburg, Brooklyn in attitude. I think Los Feliz has more stuff going on nightlife wise though.

Dating here is hard. There are a lot of people who come here for a short while then leave. There are a lot of people who only want to date rich people. There are only people who want to date others in the entertainment industry. You get the picture. The sheer size of the city, distances, and traffic make it hard to go out with people not near where you live.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:19 PM

83 posts, read 156,944 times
Quote:
I'm old enough to be your old man but I'm native. Been to Manhattan many times and know how you folks like it. You won't get any of that here. The areas you are talking about IMO are really dangerous but you're young and that testosterone is driving you crazy so be careful. It's safer in say Orangatan County... OC for short but it might bore you to death unless you lived in Newport/Balboa area I'd go back to San Diego if I were you. Really mellow beachside communities in North County SD... cost of living is about the same...

Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
You have to drive here to get to other neighborhoods. Friends will expect you to drive as much to them as they do to you.
This isn't true. You can easily get to other neighborhoods with public transit if you live in the right area.

Hollywood, Downtown and Koreatown are the most mass transit friendly neighborhoods.

Most of my friends live in my neighborhood though. I suspect this is the case or a lot of people.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
My friends are spread out all over the city. I've noticed a lot of people who live in West Hollywood and nearby environs are mostly friends with people in that area. But I legit know people all over the city.

Generally speaking unless you only go out where you live, you will have to drive. Like the Sunset Strip is really available convenient public transit from everywhere at midnight.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Generally speaking unless you only go out where you live, you will have to drive. Like the Sunset Strip is really available convenient public transit from everywhere at midnight.
That is why location, where you live, is the most important part. I do LA without a car and make it work.

For example...

Sunset Stripe, at midnight, is serviced by the 2 every half hour. Not THAT much different from the subway at every 20 minutes. And the Subway isn't 24 hours like the 2 is!

If you live in Hollywood the strip is easy to get to with public transit. Location! location! location!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this posting. You've been nothing but polite. There are a lot of idiots in this forum unfortunately and they're not helping LA's reputation right now.

I'm from London, which is very similar to New York. I've been in SoCal for 5 years and lived in LA fully for 2 years now. I can tell you the nightlife is completely different, it doesn't have the same energy. Clubs close waaaay too earlier like 2am, some close at 4am. Back in New York/London we'll rave til 7am and New Years Eve we'll go to 10am.

In regards to dating, I can't say too much on how it will be for you. I'm a girl and I've been dating lots of foreigners, that's my thing. Right now I really miss British men so my eye is on them right now. Talk to the guys about dating. One thing I have noticed is the guys are way less aggressive out here. The only time I get harassed is on hollywood blvd, so much drama. I find a lot of New Yorkers to be very aggressive and it doesn't even matter what you're wearing, they will still try to get your phone number, it's like a hobby for them.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 PM

70 posts, read 178,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this posting. You've been nothing but polite. There are a lot of idiots in this forum unfortunately and they're not helping LA's reputation right now.

I'm from London, which is very similar to New York. I've been in SoCal for 5 years and lived in LA fully for 2 years now. I can tell you the nightlife is completely different, it doesn't have the same energy. Clubs close waaaay too earlier like 2am, some close at 4am. Back in New York/London we'll rave til 7am and New Years Eve we'll go to 10am.

In regards to dating, I can't say too much on how it will be for you. I'm a girl and I've been dating lots of foreigners, that's my thing. Right now I really miss British men so my eye is on them right now. Talk to the guys about dating. One thing I have noticed is the guys are way less aggressive out here. The only time I get harassed is on hollywood blvd, so much drama. I find a lot of New Yorkers to be very aggressive and it doesn't even matter what you're wearing, they will still try to get your phone number, it's like a hobby for them.
Thank you very much, the moderator decided to delete most of the posts I guess to show some kind of image and protect those losers

Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Thank you very much, the moderator decided to delete most of the posts I guess to show some kind of image and protect those losers
Well it was getting pretty ridiculous and I guess I made a good point about LA's reputation in this forum with idiots.

I reckon you'll love LA. LA is so many things. There's so much to see and learn. A lot of people come here and just do Hollywood and don't explore, then they start saying how much they hate LA and how fake it is. You've got to explore and if you want to take a weekend break then you got San Diego 2 hours away and San Francisco 6 hours a way, which makes a nice road trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles