Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 PM

141 posts, read 436,082 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Well, it looks like I've settled on where to live - Burbank!

Now, I want to plan my first weekend as a SoCal resident!!

What are the two best beaches near the LA metro area? I want nice sand and water and somewhat touristy, but not overrun by tourists. Maybe one that's touristy and one that's more calm and peaceful. I'll be there the first weekend in August. After all this planning and moving, I feel deserving of a beach weeknd in CA.

Please help me plan!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
You do not need to care about the tourists, concentrate on the bikinis.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
The easiest ones are Malibu, Santa Monica, and Venice. I think Malibu is the least crowded. Venice is kind of gross and a tourist spot. Santa Monica is pretty nice, but very crowded.

The most fun beach is Newport Beach in Orange County but 60 miles from LA. Ventura is pretty cool as well, but also real far.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
The easiest ones are Malibu, Santa Monica, and Venice. I think Malibu is the least crowded. Venice is kind of gross and a tourist spot. Santa Monica is pretty nice, but very crowded.

The most fun beach is Newport Beach in Orange County but 60 miles from LA. Ventura is pretty cool as well, but also real far.
It's no problem about the distance. I'm willing to drive. I'm free for a couple weeks before I start my new job. So, no problem!

I want to go to the best couple beaches, regardless of location.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

What's great and "fun" about Newport Beach? What's it like?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
I think it's one of the cleaner ones. Pretty decent crowd, mix of young professionals, families, and wealthy OC professionals. Really good restaurants and tons of bars/clubs just off the beach.

If you are looking to just lay in the sand, Santa Monica and Malibu are pretty good though as well. I am not a fan of Venice. It's very crowded and kind of dirty.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Best beaches in LA:

South Bay: Manhattan, Hermosa, Torrance

Torrance Beach (the Avenues):

Hermosa Beach:

Manhattan Beach:

These are must visit beaches if you live in LA. They are nicer than Newport or Huntington Beaches and much closer to you. They range from a lot of restaurants, shops, etc... to quieter, off the beaten path (Torrance Beach). Plus there is a great bike path which connects them all. So if you like to ride, cruise, skate, rollerblade, jog, etc... this is an excellent area for these and many other activities.

Zuma is alright, but without the restaurants, shops, live music, strand and proximity to other cool things like the South Bay beaches.

I've never liked Venice or Santa Monica Beaches = tourist city US. Malibu is not much better = over rated IMO. The traffic to get there down narrow, slow, crowded hwy 1 is not really worth it when there are many other (better) options.

Also if you want to visit another beautiful coastal area off the beaten path check out Palos Verdes and the lighthouse - Point Vicente. There is a great whale watching area there as well:

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-06-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
I agree with MtnSurfer that any of the South Bay beach cities (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan) are a good mix of nice beach, people watching, and nearby walkable amenties.

However, for me in terms of pure natural beauty and nice sand & water I think Zuma Beach/Pt. Dume is as nice as it gets in LA County.

Zuma/Pt. Dume

Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Considering how screwed up the 10 and 405 are, it's gonna take an hour to get to Venice or Santa Monica from Burbank. It will take about the same to get to Seal Beach and Huntington Beach.

Just a little further to Newport, and then a little more than that to Laguna. Fwiw, the nicest beach in So Cal is probably La Jolla, which is close to San Diego.

Anyway, stay away from Venice, SM, and Malibu. Go to the OC beaches or the South Bay beaches. Use a GPS with traffic function. Stay off the 405 in the westside, the 10 west of downtown, and the 5 between the 10 and the 605.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 PM

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them!

I'm so excited about checking out these places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles