Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 AM

371 posts, read 816,156 times

Advertisements

One constant complaint you hear about Los Angeles from people who don't live in Southern California is the smog.

I spent a few years going to school up in Northern California, and when I mentioned that I was from Southern California, the next thing I would often hear is some reference to the terrible smog. I have often heard the same thing when traveling around the country. People say they would never want to live in Los Angeles because they could never handle the smog.

The funny things is, I don't every really notice smog. Yes, there is sometimes a brownish haze on the horizen. But, other then as a minor visual blemish, I don't really see what the big deal is. It's not something I ever think about or complain about, or even really notice. I can't ever remember having a hard time breathing or not feeling comfortable going outside (granted, I don't have asthma).

But, maybe I just don't notice the smog because I have lived here my whole life, so my body is used to it.

That is why I am curious what people think who moved to the area later in life. Did you really notice smog? Is it that bad compared to other places you've lived? Does it really live up to its reputation as one of the worst things about Los Angeles...so bad that many people would never consider living here because of it?

I just don't get what the big deal is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Well, it's just a matter of your body adapting to it I guess. It's like the water. When I go to LA one of the first places I go to is a Wal Mart to buy bottled because drinking recycled LA water gives me diahrrea. But I guess if you have to drink it everyday, you system will adjust to it

Old 08-03-2011, 11:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Compared to the times I use to come here in the 80s, the air is so much cleaner. I honestly don't think about it anymore.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
When you were up here in school you may have noticed something many here will never admit ... we ALSO have smog! Oh ... the ... humanity!

In all seriousness, as a child in the 70s, even up here, we'd have Stage 3 smog alerts. Fast forward ... I'm scratching my head to recall any smog alerts of any level over the past 20 years. "Spare the Air Days" don't count (those are hypersensitive overreactions by our "BAAQMD" any time there is even the hint of a bad inversion in the weather forecast).

Bottom line - smog is way, way better than it was during the 60s and 70s. That's remarkable given the population increase since the 70s.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
In all seriousness, as a child in the 70s, even up here, we'd have Stage 3 smog alerts.
There were many days when P.E. was cancelled due to the smog alerts that were issued in the mornings, especially on hot days. People were advised to stay indoors - not an easy thing to tell the kids on a non-school day, since nobody had computers or video games yet.

We use to have a saying in L.A.: "You can't trust air you can't see".
(Counterintuitive, purposefully dark irony)

Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 PM

237 posts, read 668,887 times
decades ago we used to have Smog Alerts so often, it was depressing. Today, it is extremely rare to get a Smog Alert. However, it comes a big cost, and is one of the reasons some businesses don't like to be here because the AQMD has set standards that do increase the cost of doing business, compared to, say, Texas or any other "anything goes" state or region. We now have mostly GRAY days NOT BROWN ones. The effects of the regulations can be seen "clear as day" compared to the 60's and 70's. It really amazes me how well have cleaned up the air, but it still ranks as among the most polluted, so there is more work to be done, and we victims of geography. Now, the poor folks in the Inland Empire still get all the smog generated west of them, but, so it goes.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM

181 posts, read 291,225 times
Much, much improved in the last 30 years.

For me it's now a non issue.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,449 times
Hey guys.
I'll take it one step further and say that the air in LA can be some of the best in the world. I know that sounds crazy, but the air in Colorado Springs is so thin because of the altitude, and so dry....it is awful. I go to LA and I smell flowers, the oxygen is more plentiful, and the humidity is nice. And the air near the beaches is just heavenly.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
I don't find smog to be an issue here. I think that unless you live in the Inland Empire, smog has been mitigated to the point that it isn't really noticeable.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Back in the 60's and 70's the air was very clear, it burned your eyes however.
Most of what we have today is marine layer. The air is much more breathable now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles