Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:29 PM

15 posts, read 18,623 times

Advertisements

I'm reading articles where it say "Los Angeles is a diverse city, but remains residental segregated". Does anyone believe that?

What's up with non-Californians and these articles? Are there any integrated neighborhoods in the City of LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM

672 posts, read 2,176,123 times
This town is, on the whole, segregated. As you cross the 10, the 110, or the 405, the color of the populus changes. There are high schools that are 100% latino or are majority black. That's the definition of segregation.

LA segregation isn't as complete as in other cities. There are usually people of many backgrounds in every neighborhood. But it isn't anywhere near being well integrated. In fact, I don't think that most people in the city have yet committed to the idea that they truly want to be integrated. A lot of people like their ethnicity-specific or class-specific neighbhoods.

I do know that desireable neighborhoods for this forum often coincides with neighborhoods that are rather more Anglo and undesireable with neighborhoods that are more black or Latino. I'm not calling any one person racist, but, clearly history and the forces that shape this city are still racist and aligned to keep down some neighborhoods and the non-white people that live in them.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
This Census tool can map (including zooming in and out) some of the different neighborhoods in %black, %hispanic, %white, (and many other attributes.) Unfortunately, the data are from the 1990 census. Putz around with the theme and leave the level at "census tracts".

Tiger Map Server Browser

Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
The segregation in Los Angeles is mostly economic. Poor neighborhoods are mostly Latino or Black. Latinos are the largest ethnic group in LA & live thru-out the city. Asians also are a large racial group in LA & also live all over the city but have certain cultural neighborhoods.

I don't believe there is intentional segregation in California but more along economic lines.

BTW the word is "Angeleno"

Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM

15 posts, read 18,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The segregation in Los Angeles is mostly economic. Poor neighborhoods are mostly Latino or Black. Latinos are the largest ethnic group in LA & live thru-out the city. Asians also are a large racial group in LA & also live all over the city but have certain cultural neighborhoods.

I don't believe there is intentional segregation in California but more along economic lines.

BTW the word is "Angeleno"
Other people got Angeleno confused too. I was just checking.

The way I was brought up, South LA is stereotyped as an all-black community, with East LA being predominantly Hispanic, West LA is white, mid-town as Asian, and the Valley as white.

After traveling through the city, it made me think differently.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner123 View Post
Other people got Angeleno confused too. I was just checking.

The way I was brought up, South LA is stereotyped as an all-black community, with East LA being predominantly Hispanic, West LA is white, mid-town as Asian, and the Valley as white.

After traveling through the city, it made me think differently.
South LA is actually majority Latino now, thus the gang conflicts. East LA is overwhelmingly Hispanic but the rest of the city is fairly integrated with mixture of all ethnic\racial groups in my opinion. For example, my neighbors are a black\white couple, a Lesbian, Asian, Jewish, Anglo, Latino & I don't think this is unique in LA.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:49 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,873 times
Yep, no real integration any level (social, economic or otherwise), with the bulk of the minorities living in poverty (I'm talking LA PROPER here; there are some exceptions: Ladera Heights, Baldwin Vista, Windsor Hills for Blacks, and various smatterings of Asians here and there spring to mind)

With the bulk of future immigration coming from Hispanics, a group notorious for rejecting integration (using the present as an indicator), I don't see it getting anybody either-especially when they're done chasing out what little Blacks are left.

Last edited by King0fthehill; 10-29-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 06:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Are there any neighborhoods in LA that are 90% white the way there are 90% Mexican neighborhoods? I see a lot more non-whites in supposedly white parts of town than the other way around.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Are there any neighborhoods in LA that are 90% white the way there are 90% Mexican neighborhoods? I see a lot more non-whites in supposedly white parts of town than the other way around.
I can't think of any 90% Anglo neighborhoods but areas of the San Fernando & San Gabriel valleys are probably over 50% white. Also the Hollywood Hills\ Santa Monica\ Beverly Hills, etc are likely over 50% Anglo.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,640,648 times
all the energy i had for this subject was spent here: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ml#post3286616.

i can't think of anything i would like to add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles