Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

The Exposition Line is light rail from Downtown to Culver City (Phase two goes to Santa Monica, I think completed in 2015. I am really excited about this line, it provides easy access to USC, the Natural History Museum and Culver City. Once the second phase opens there will be access to the beach, 3rd St. Promenade, Venice Beach plus a lot of office space in West Los Angeles. People are so enamored by the Purple Line Extension (which will be huge also, but is going to take a long time to build and sounds like it won't quite reach SM ), but I think this line is gonna be a significant addition to the transit system in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The Exposition Line is light rail from Downtown to Culver City (Phase two goes to Santa Monica, I think completed in 2015. I am really excited about this line, it provides easy access to USC, the Natural History Museum and Culver City. Once the second phase opens there will be access to the beach, 3rd St. Promenade, Venice Beach plus a lot of office space in West Los Angeles. People are so enamored by the Purple Line Extension (which will be huge also, but is going to take a long time to build and sounds like it won't quite reach SM ), but I think this line is gonna be a significant addition to the transit system in LA.
I agree that the EXPO Line will an excellent addition.

The one downside is that is LIGHT rail and light rail is slower than heavy rail since ligt rail has to share the streets with cars/traffic lights.

I still say the Purple Line (all the way to Santa Monica) is the biggest bang for the buck since it is heavy rail (faster) and will serve the most dense corridor (both jobs & population) in LA County.

In light of HOW LONG the purple line will take, the EXPO line is a very welcome addition. And the connection to USC is big given that USC is one of the biggest employers in LA County.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Light Rail Ain't So Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
The one downside is that is LIGHT rail and light rail is slower than heavy rail since ligt rail has to share the streets with cars/traffic lights.
I agree that light rail is not optimum, but light rail is still much better than bus service or no service. I lived right off the Green Line in Boston (light rail) and that line was the lifeblood of northwestern Boston. I can only hope the Expo line has the same effect on West Adams, Leimert Park and Baldwin Hills, as well as furthering the progress in Culver City.

I think people in Los Angeles can have unreal expectations about their system. An hour or 45 minutes on the Expo from DT LA to SM may sound unreasonable, but consider that in Boston it took me an hour to get from Brighton on the far western end of the city to DT Boston on the B or C green lines(a much, much shorter distance).

Either way it is going to be interesting to see how the new lines will transform Los Angeles in the next 20-30 years.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:

Either way it is going to be interesting to see how the new lines will transform Los Angeles in the next 20-30 years.
Thanks for sharing your Boston experience. That does help add some perspective to the EXPO line. I think the next 5 to 10 yrs along the Expo line should show some good results.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 AM

497 posts, read 1,504,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Thanks for sharing your Boston experience. That does help add some perspective to the EXPO line. I think the next 5 to 10 yrs along the Expo line should show some good results.

They just tore down the Fed Ex store on Bundy at olympic. I hope they drop a station there since it could potentially service several of the hi-rise buildings at and around that corner.

If we can some incentive for those employees to use the rail line...if it goes in the right direction, I think that will be just as important as the build.

Its going to be interesting to see this develop

Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
We have light rail in the city I live in, with two full phases complete, the third in progress, and like 4 more to go after that.

Even with the limits the system has now, it's nice to see the trains full during rush hour, big events, before/after sporting events, etc.

It makes me grateful those people aren't on the freeways with me.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Default Light Rail

Another advantage of Light Rail - You can check out the scenery! Of course it may not be very scenic...

Old 10-04-2011, 08:46 PM

79 posts, read 178,974 times
Quote:
Another advantage of Light Rail - You can check out the scenery! Of course it may not be very scenic...
Elevated Heavy Rail lets you do the same.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM

45 posts, read 77,009 times
Yeah, in any case scenery is not important, the important thing is to take the less possible time from home to work and not waste hours of your life in this. If you want to do it once in a while that's great, but the same scenery every day is not so exciting anyway. Just take a vacation for scenery.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guydude View Post
Elevated Heavy Rail lets you do the same.
Good point, I never understood why that was never suggested (to my knowlegde) for any of the train lines... Too ugly? It would have the same effect on neighborhoods as freeways have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles