Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times

Advertisements

I want to move to a densely populated area of LA such as K-Town or any part of Hollywood. However being crammed into one of those apartment buildings, I wonder if I'd get good sleep. The street noise I like but noisy neighbors will mess me up. I'd probably have to look specifically for a top floor apartment. The thing is I'm conscious of my neighbors and if the floors are squeeky for example, I'm going to minimize my pacing around the apartment.

Do any of you all live in one of those densely packed neighborhoods and if so how is your sleeping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
One suggestion is to buy ear plugs... They sell them at Target. I always use them when I sleep. I don't live in L.A yet. It's really quiet where I sleep; however I use plugs cause I'm sensitive to noise.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM

132 posts, read 364,583 times
It really depends on the building- look for one with concrete construction, preferably one that's not too new as the older buildings tend to have less sound travelling between units. There are a variety of building styles in both neighborhoods. You can't count on what the neighbors are like as people are mobile.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Another problem you might have to deal with is people stealing your mail. I know my friend in koreatown has a sign on his door telling the mail man not to leave packages at the door or else someone will steal it

Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
I live in central Hollywood and never have a problem with noise.

BUT your results may vary building to building. Some of my neighbors can be noisy, but nothing that keeps me up or anything.

A good landlord will also help.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnels1 View Post
I live in Hollywood, just above Santa Monica, a

It probably depends in the building construction a lot. I know those historic buildings are real charming, harking back to the days of old Hollywood. But they can be noisy rickety places to live in. They started making them solid in the 50's and 60's (concrete), some don't like that era, saying that's when Hollywood went downhill. But as far as the buildings themselves, I think it was a better era of construction.

I'm glad I got over this thing of "it's time to buy a house now". I have way more options now. I'm finally getting my career in order, and I'm going to rent like all the other professionals in big cities.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM

42 posts, read 86,080 times
This may be a silly question but is there a way to tell if it's concrete construction? If you call a property manager, would they know themselves? I'm also someone who the idea of living in an apartment with squeaky floors would drive me crazy. I expect to hear things like noise in the hallways and being able to hear a tv or something but its structure noise that really bothers me.

I currently live in a house but am looking to relocate sometime within the next 12 months and LA is one of the cities that I'm strongly considering.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Sometimes noise is not reallly what you should consider in these condo buildings in Koreatown, but smell. You got people from all over the world living in these buildings and sometimes they cook their native dishes which may or may not neccessarily smell good while cooking, but I'm pretty sure it tastes good :yummy:

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Sometimes noise is not reallly what you should consider in these condo buildings in Koreatown, but smell. You got people from all over the world living in these buildings and sometimes they cook their native dishes which may or may not neccessarily smell good while cooking, but I'm pretty sure it tastes good :yummy:
I worry more about them smelling my cooking. Although I finally figured out how to take out the microwave popcorn before it burns.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I consider myself American but I still eat those frozen meals (curry) from Trader Joe's and they also smell really strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles