Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
isn't L.A. spoiled enough by the Lakers already?
See if that's still the case when they cancel the entire NBA season. Now is a great time for the NFL to promote a new team to L.A. sports fans. Probably will see a bump in college hoops, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
I remember when the New Jersey Nets had the worst record in the NBA, there arena was almost vacant, so vacant that it was on the news, posted on the yahoo homepage, but yet even before Blake Griffin arrived, meanwhile that has never happend to the Clippers. It's because I literally hear all the time, everywhere, people say that L.A. has fairweather fans when it comes to Sports, understandable since there is way too many things to do in L.A., so many activities to do than to go to a Sporting event, i know i have ranted about this many times but I know I am making a good valid, point, argument, i know i am making sense, John Singleton when he interviewed Ice Cube, he said this to him:

"Q: So you’re an LA sports fan. Why do you think the city doesn’t support or can’t support an NFL franchise?(he said that to him because virtually everywhere, the vast majority of people say that L.A. does not deserve another chance at the NFL, because they failed to support the Raiders and Rams when they were here, thats what i constantly hear)

Ice Cube: Well, Los Angeles does support NFL franchises if they win, you know. Losers can't come to Los Angeles and expect to get any kind of fan base because we're so spoiled by the Lakers. I mean, we love the Dodgers, and we feel like they're on the cusp of winning and they'll get the city, too. But it's a winning town. If you're not winning, there's better things to do in Los Angeles than spend all that money on a ticket and then see your team lose. Ask the Clippers."

So I find it Hypocritical, L.A. will support a losing Basketball team but not a losing Football team, i know that the NFL and the NBA are not really comparable in terms of Business because in the NBA you have 41 home games a year in an 82-game season, only need 20,000 people to sell out a game, meanwhile an NFL team plays a fraction of the amount of home-games a year and you need like 60,000 or more to sell out an NFL game, but still, isn't L.A. spoiled enough by the Lakers already? don't people in L.A. have better things to do with their so-called "Lives"? Isn't living in L.A. a guarantee that you are going to have a life because L.A. has everything to keep you entertained? Theres the Beach, Disneyland, and countless other things.
I got a feeling the reason there is no football in LA is a lot more complicated than that. There are so many agreements and deals and profit sharing and TV revenue and luxury boxes and sponsors and league owners' voting and taxes and fees and league balance and zonings and property rights and concessions and parking.

It's more than fans supporting the team.

Also, besides the fact that SoCal sports teams are competing with a million other things to do on a Sunday in winter (unlike Buffalo), SoCal has so many transplants that there is less of a homogenous sports heritage here. You go to new york and everyone there is a new york team fan, same for chicago, boston, detriot, philly, etc. But here, half the people at a game are probably born back east or the mid west. They love it when an LA team wins but they don't care if they lose.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you judge the sports fans of LA on one quote by ice cube? that is ridiculous. there are a lot more moving parts that just winning that keep attendance up at sporting events in LA. prior to this past season, the dodgers were top 10 in attendance across the mlb for the 9 years prior (most of which were top 5). even this year, the dodgers were just outside the top 10 at #11, and that was with a nationally publicized fan beating and possibly the worst ownership fiasco in this city's history. they made the playoffs 4 times in this period and lost in the first round badly each of those years. once the mccourt sells the team i'm certain attendance will jump back into the top 10 or even top 5 in no time.
it's not just Ice Cube, but literally everywhere else, thats what the vast majority of people say, that L.A. has fairweather fans

Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I got a feeling the reason there is no football in LA is a lot more complicated than that. There are so many agreements and deals and profit sharing and TV revenue and luxury boxes and sponsors and league owners' voting and taxes and fees and league balance and zonings and property rights and concessions and parking.

It's more than fans supporting the team.

Also, besides the fact that SoCal sports teams are competing with a million other things to do on a Sunday in winter (unlike Buffalo), SoCal has so many transplants that there is less of a homogenous sports heritage here. You go to new york and everyone there is a new york team fan, same for chicago, boston, detriot, philly, etc. But here, half the people at a game are probably born back east or the mid west. They love it when an LA team wins but they don't care if they lose.
if L.A. is full of transplants then why is it very rare when you meet someone that is a Non-Laker fan?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
if L.A. is full of transplants then why is it very rare when you meet someone that is a Non-Laker fan?
They are celebrities, not just a basketball team, by way of playing in Tinseltown. Many who may be said to be 'fans' are simply those who engage in TMZ-esque fluff.

You can ask such 'fans' about the impact of players like Bob McAdoo or Michael Cooper on the success of the team. Those without blank stares will tell.

And if they don't know what "the butter's gettin' hard" means, hit 'em.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
it's not just Ice Cube, but literally everywhere else, thats what the vast majority of people say, that L.A. has fairweather fans
it's not "literally everywhere else, that's what the vast majority of people say"

it's just what YOU think, based on your extremely narrow and biased view on this matter.

do you honestly think that you have an accurate, comprehensive understanding of the LA area fanbase and sports culture? considering that you're a teenager who wasn't even born when the rams and raiders left town or the dodgers won their last world series, i find that hard to believe. i mean, you've repeatedly demonstrated a stunning lack of knowledge and perspective about LA's sports history, and i attribute much of that to your extreme youth and immaturity. so why do you think your lone opinion carries any sort of weight?

and why do you think ice cube speaks for "all" angelenos? he speaks for himself and maybe a few of the people he knows - that's it. i can think of tons of famous LA sports figures who've spoken warmly about the LA sports fanbase. remember fred dryer? jack youngblood? deacon jones? eric dickerson? steve garvey? tommy lasorda? magic johnson? i bet you don't even know the first couple of guys i mentioned. but anyway, the common thread is that all of these guys (plus many others) have praised LA as being a great sports town over the years. how come their words don't carry any weight with you, yet at the same time you keep clinging to that one quote by ice cube as if it's gospel?

please, just stop. your "LA is full of spoiled fairweather fans" act got stale a long time ago. how many times are you going to beat this dead horse?

Last edited by pbergen; 11-23-2011 at 12:07 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
there's actually a sizable minority of people in LA who are not laker fans, and in some cases, hate the lakers. this includes transplants who still root for their hometown team as well as natives who are either turned off by the constant hype surrounding the lakers, or simply became fans of another team at an early age.

please stop making broad, sweeping generalizations based on your limited firsthand experiences.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
there's actually a sizable minority of people in LA who are not laker fans, and in some cases, hate the lakers.
Clippers fans.

Oh wait.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I have a perfect answer for this. (Just about) All natives want the Lakers to win and are don't want them to lose. All the east coast transplants want the Lakers to win EXCEPT when the Lakers are playing their old city's team. And, these transplants couldn't care less if the Lakers lose.

Next question?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
They are celebrities, not just a basketball team, by way of playing in Tinseltown. Many who may be said to be 'fans' are simply those who engage in TMZ-esque fluff.

You can ask such 'fans' about the impact of players like Bob McAdoo or Michael Cooper on the success of the team. Those without blank stares will tell.

And if they don't know what "the butter's gettin' hard" means, hit 'em.
And many of these phoney baloney celebrities are transplants themselves and act accordingly (see my last post).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles