Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
For years? Really? There must be something wrong with you. All the good people are employed.
Yes, the unemployed must be unemployable, how else would they be in that predicament, right?

I was fortunate to have survived two 1.5 year stints of unemployment, one in the bubble of 2001 and one in the current recession and know of people who are worse off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Yes, the unemployed must be unemployable, how else would they be in that predicament, right?

I was fortunate to have survived two 1.5 year stints of unemployment, one in the bubble of 2001 and one in the current recession and know of people who are worse off.
But surely they must be lacking the right skills (technical etc.)?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
OP, what went wrong the first time that you had to move back to the midwest? If you were having financial troubles the last time you may run into the same problem again.

You could try temp agencies but you need to be in LA in order to do that.

It may just not be in the cards for you to move back.

And why not look in other areas besides West Hollywood to live in? Highland Park has become quite trendy and is getting a lot of the 20 somethings moving in, and the rents will be much lower.

You also have the Gold Line which runs to downtown LA and Pasadena.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
You don't have to wait for employment to build a portfolio. If you're experienced in writing and project management and want to do image branding, make up a project. Create a summary, a budget, and a detailed implementation plan. Show that you can write, budget, research, work independently, and work creatively. Good luck.
This is good advice too, it's always good to stay proactive.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 PM

93 posts, read 188,570 times
Munchitup, I have tried temp agencies before, but they have been unable to place me. Because my experience is very specific, its hard for them to place me with random jobs that have nothing to do with my craft. I know nothing of entertainment temp agencies, but I will look into it.

Bunjee, I actually started a media organization of my own a few years ago, but it failed. It wasnt because of bad management, but well.. the economy flopped and those interested in starting entertainment careers didnt have the money to spend.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:25 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
But surely they must be lacking the right skills (technical etc.)?

Or simply more applicants than there are openings.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
I also have experience in Admin support, customer service / retail, writing, and project management. I am interested in marketing and celebrity personal imagine branding, event planning and nightlife promotions, and sports.
I think most of those industry jobs are being filled by all the failed reality tv stars. I don't know how much work there is with so many people wanting to do the exact same thing.

But according to my daughter, Silverlake is where her musician friends live/work/play and seems like a good place to concentrate on. Maybe a non industry job to support yourself while working on some side projects is the way to go. It seems like everyone does that in LA. Since you lived here for a year you probably know that you can't get a retail or CS job without actually being here first so the same old advice applies...save enough for a few months of living expenses and take the plunge! Good luck.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM

102 posts, read 170,509 times
Jer3784 - the first thing I would do before moving is to establish where you will live. If you don't have friends to crash with temporarily, you'll probably spend too much on housing. Try to keep your housing expenses as low as you can - sharing space/apt - or maybe getting room and board in return for work around the property. House sitting for a few months? I know that's a hard gig to find, but there are wealthy people out in LA who have pets that need watching while they travel.

If you keep your overhead low, it will help you maintain yourself while you find the right job. I would just try to do anything while searching to land the right job for you -- bartend, waitstaff, temp work -- try to keep income coming in while you look.

In my opinion, Craigslist list is a horrible place for job hunting. So many scams. I've taken the time to answer posting that looked legit to me, I'd write a very well-thought out cover letter that was time-consuming, only to get an email back from Mr. SoAndSo from Nigeria, telling me I'd have to cash money orders. Try the LA Times. Also, try to broaden your network by volunteering with a few non-profits/charities. First, it's always a wonderful thing to do and second, you will meet people. Most of the positions I've gotten in life have been through networking, people referring me.

Keep a strong attitude and stay focused. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM

93 posts, read 188,570 times
I have actually done this before. I lived in West Hollywood for a year and that is where I am looking to return to. When I went the first time I did do an apartment shared situation, which turned out to be a complete disaster. Fortunately for me, I found an apartment complex with a nice smal staff and goodcost. So if I was to move, I know I could go back to renting with them if they have openings.

But yeah, thats basically my plan. I will take any full time work that I can get, just so I can get myself back out there and looking.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Hey guys,

I lived in West Hollywood for a year, but had to return to the Midwest due to financial reasons. However, I am now looking to one again relocate to the area. The only problem is, I cant seem to find work. When searching online, the only places that seem to post jobs within the WeHo area are on Craigslist, where most postings arent legit. I was wondering if maybe someone here can direct me in the right place to look for jobs in that area.

I graduated with a BA in English, as well as classroom experience in : Education, Communications, and Music Business. While my primary career focus is in the entertainment industry (mostly music), I also have experience in Admin support, customer service / retail, writing, and project management. I am interested in marketing and celebrity personal imagine branding, event planning and nightlife promotions, and sports.

Anyone have any suggests on going about finding something when looking to relocate?

Thanks
You're interested mostly music? Move to Nashville, TN. It's nothing like you think it is. It's not a cowpoke kind of town at all. ALL music is HUGE here. You'd be surprised to learn all the musicians that live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles