Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times

Advertisements

I grew up basically a few blocks from the Vista Theater at the intersection Sunset and Hollywood--I guess it's "East Hollywood" and not quite Los Feliz or Silver Lake. I lived near the fire station on Hilhurst. Very safe and quiet neighborhood overall.

The area is a lot more gentrified these days with good restaurants and amenities. It has relatively easy access to the 134, 2, and 5--and also major streets like Sunset, Hollywood, Vermont, Santa Monica, and Fountain.

I can't imagine rent there being incredibly expensive even now. Back in the day, the rent in that area was very, very cheap compared to the western part of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 AM

114 posts, read 72,779 times
I work in entertainment industry and right now I live in 90038 zip code area off Melrose Ave. I recently moved to LA and hence cannot really compare places. This area has been pretty good so far. I may move to WH area soon as it is closer to my place of work. Rentals are in the range of 2 to 2.5k for a single bedroom apt in my area.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 23,039 times
Hollywood, West Hollywood, Studio City or North Hollywood if you're on a budget.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
West Hollywood is the place you want to be..

Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Just do what everyone else does and move to North Hollywood. Anyone here who suggest otherwise have no idea what they are talking about. NO IDEA!!! LOL @ the person who said Studio City. Im sure they said it because hey, it has "Studio" in its name, so it must be close to the studios for the OP. LOL. Considering the dude's budget, he needs North Hollywood.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,360 times
When I read your post, I thought North Hollywood all the way, especially in the arts district. Centrally located, has shops, dining, actors studios, etc and has affordable housing. but if you want to spend $600, you'll have to get a roommate.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Just do what everyone else does and move to North Hollywood. Anyone here who suggest otherwise have no idea what they are talking about. NO IDEA!!! LOL @ the person who said Studio City. Im sure they said it because hey, it has "Studio" in its name, so it must be close to the studios for the OP. LOL. Considering the dude's budget, he needs North Hollywood.
He said his budget is up to $2k. You CAN find a studio in Weho for a little over $1k if you LOOK hard, like for under $1200... Studio City was probably suggested because it is a NICE area to live and very central to the Valley and the other side (Weho). When I was looking for studios I looked at a studio in Studio CITY for around $1k! It included utilites, parking and a fridge but it was small, like 470 sq feet. I'm petite so that's not too small for me, however other people may find that too small. You also had the option to have it furnished or unfurnished. In my opinion it was nice. I would rather live in a smaller studio in a nice area than a bigger place in a place with more lower income people.

I DO have an idea; I live in Weho and only spend around $1k for a studio in a very nice complex with a pool and underground parking (my own space).

Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Westwood would be a mistake.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
Glad I stumbled upon this forum... coincidentally I am planning on moving to LA this spring with about 10 grand and the acting dream as well. I hope to live alone, don't know anyone out there and am not about to trust in someone I don't know. Yes it is a dream, but at least hearing about others experiences will make it a bit more tangible.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
I would say once you get east of the 101, yes Hollywood gets gritty and shady quite quickly, as well as a couple blocks south of Sunset and south of there as well. But seriously the main part of Hollywood boulevard from West Hollywood border to the 101 and within three blocks to the south and just fine to the north, has been pretty much gentrified and revitalized.

I'm moving to LA (secured my job and apartment very recently! great partment around Sepulveda and Venice) at the end of this month, and I actually prefer that part of Hollywood to the Sunset Strip. Hollywoods nightlife has more places to eat, drink, etc. that are trendy, sexy, etc. that are more open to anyone, and doesn't involve getting past any velvet ropes. The Sunset strip relatively speaking has more of that ultra exlusive feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles