Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times

Advertisements

Well, today I went to a bookstore and happened upon a tourist book about California from the 1960s. A common adage throughout the book describing the LA area was that "...it was possible to ski and surf on the same day"

I consider myself a pretty fit guy, but I wouldn't be able to do both in one day. Barring the traffic, which around the winter isn't as bad as most people think (well, I know alternate routes..that sort of helps), but more so I'd think its extremely tiring just to do ONE activity, never mind both.

I asked some friends who grew up here as well if they've ever done it, and they said no.

Has anyone here tried to go to ski and surf on the same day? I feel like I haven't been enough of a tourist in LA yet until I have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i've lived in socal nearly my entire life and have never actually done this or known anyone who has. i used to surf and snowboard, but never in the same day. first off, we're talking a 2 hour drive each way between the slopes and surf. but more importantly, when there is snow in the mountains, the ocean water is COLD! maybe i'm a wimp, but water in the low to mid 50s is too cold even with a wetsuit.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
It's possible--The snow in LA County is found in the San Gabriel Mountains... which is just up the 2 FWY in La Canada Flintridge.

Come back down again and then head for Santa Monica or Redondo.

Snow stuff in the morning, and the beach stuff in the afternoon.

Only a few would actually do it, though.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 PM

Count me as one person that is going to try to do both in one day. I want to see how tired I get at the end of the day. It would probably be the best sleep of my life....

I don't live too far from the beach I prefer (Zuma, Santa Monica is too dirty), but I don't know too much about ski resorts in LA County. I know there's one in Wrightwood, but the roads coming from Highway 2 are usually closed, so I'd have to go around through Palmdale to Pearblossom Highway. Anywhere closer than that?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Big Bear is about 2 hours away. You can ski there. I'm pretty sure there's somewhere only an hour away you can ski, though. Oh! Mt. Baldy!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Big Bear is about 2 hours away. You can ski there. I'm pretty sure there's somewhere only an hour away you can ski, though. Oh! Mt. Baldy!
You know, this is kinda sad to admit but I have never actually been to Big Bear For nearby mountains, I usually hit up Wrightwood since it's a lot nearer, but never boarded or skiied in the area. I guess thats also on my to-do list

Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 AM

339 posts, read 777,415 times
I'm proud to say that I did both in one day, in a rather unconventional manner. I was challenged by some friends to accomplish the feat. I had a plane based at Corona Airport. Took off at 7:00 AM, flew to Santa Monica Airport, had a friend meet me there and he drove me to Zuma. Surfed for an hour or so (yes, the water was freezing cold), drove back to Santa Monica Airport and flew to Big Bear. Was on the slopes before noon.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I had a two tank(2 dives) scuba dive in Laguna Beach in the morning. Went snowboarding in the afternoon.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Metrolink needs to offer service to Big Bear. If they did that, you could probably get from Santa Monica to the ski slopes in less than 90 minutes (after Expo or the Purple Line extension opens).

Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 AM

129 posts, read 316,649 times
You wouldn't want to swim in that freezing water in the winter. The beaches here aren't like Florida's, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles