Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 AM

274 posts, read 1,218,708 times

Advertisements

We fancy going to see the fields of poppies today.....just checked the official poppy watch website and no update on the state of flowering since 4 th April.
Anyone been up there and seen them in the last week please ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
Anyone been up there and seen them in the last week please ?
Not in the last week, since I am no longer a local.

However, you might want to check out the Antelope Valley State Poppy Reserve. It is out I or H and around 120th W and beyond. With construction non-existent out there, the poppies and the mountain back-drop of the San Gabriels can be beautiful. Enjoy!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 PM

Yes robert that is where we plan to go but there has been so little rain this year they are not out fully yet and we just want to catch them when they are in bloom- thank you!Even a polyglot could not know the answer if they had not been in the locality)

Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 PM

53 posts, read 175,600 times
Well after seeing so many spectacular photos of the poppies in Antelope Valley over the years, I decided that this would be the year that I take time out to drive up there to see them . . . yet I’m learning that this is not a good year for wildflowers when I read the following on the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve website:

Wildflower Bloom Status: 4/25/12
This year just isn't a good one for wildflowers. We had very dry winter with few plants germinating, and more have not appeared despite the recent series of rainstorms. The hills are mostly green with a few scattered poppies around, and a few other wildflowers here and there along the trails such as fiddleneck, slender-keeled fruit, goldfields, filaree, grape soda lupine and others.

Since I will be in the area on May 5th, I’m wondering would it be worth paying the $10 to get into the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve or would I be better off just stopping along the side of some of the roads up there to look at poppies and take photos? Yet since I have never been to the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve before, I’m not sure if there are other things to see and do once I get inside.

Your thoughts?

Nick

Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Nick
I have not been yet so can,t help.......there may be other flowers up there and the rain may have helped from last week. Enjoy and let us know what the state of the poppies is on your return!!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

53 posts, read 175,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
Nick
I have not been yet so can,t help.......there may be other flowers up there and the rain may have helped from last week. Enjoy and let us know what the state of the poppies is on your return!!
Londonteacher, thank you for your feedback. Well by another post of mine, I have opted not to go to the "Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR State Natural Reserve", due to the current state of the poppies this year. Via the link below, please read posts #20 and #21 .

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...l#post24096659

So upon my reading post #21, since I was going up to Palmdale and Lancaster anyway on the 5th, I'm going to do some of the things that City-Data member (LancasterisAwesome) suggested.

Nick

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
It seems like April has been rainier than average, but I think it might be too late for the poppies.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 PM

102 posts, read 513,633 times
This year is a sad year for our poppies. To be honest, I would not pay the $10 even though there are some cool trails to hike, and you would see some wildflowers.

Here is a short itinerary to see a couple cool things.

1. Take the 14N to Ave G. Drive it west, and you will experience the only musical road in this country. You might have seen it on the Honda Civic commercial a couple years ago. This is not the exact one, but they rebuilt it on the far outskirts of town.

2. Go to 60th St West and take a left, and then a right at Avenue I. Take this a couple miles until you see the Antelope Valley Resource Conservation District, it should be right around 110th West. If you are into native plants and flowers, this is your spot. They grow and sell native plants acclimated to the High Desert and Coastal Southern CA. You will see some neat plants.

3. Continue on Avenue I until it ends. It will turn right some and then you will see Munz Ranch Road, take a left. Drive until you see an opening to aqueduct. Park your car there and walk up the hill. Walk along the aqueduct for about 1/2 mile, and then on your left you will see Shea's Castle. This place has quite the hollywood history, and you will also have a gorgeous view from this point.

4. After that continue up Munz Ranch Road, and check out Lake Elizabeth, it is very pretty. It is a cool little town, get a bite to eat.

After that I would just drive around the western AV some, it is gorgeous, and you will probably find some wildflower viewing areas. If you can come in the morning, during the spring time, afternoon winds can really pick up. The wind is refreshing as long as it is not too cold.

5. Depending on your day it might be worth driving out Avenue D/138 towards Gorman, there are many beautiful areas there. If you like history Fort Tejon park in Frazier Park is quite enjoyable, especially on a Saturday if you catch them during their living history days.

Also I would look into checking out the portion of the Pacific Crest Trail that runs through the Antelope Valley, it is beatiful, and you have great views.

May 5th is the day after the new Museum of Art & History opens up in Lancaster on the BLVD. Depending on what your plans are, you can check out the museum and get a feel for the history of the AV. There are some great restaurants down there, and you could even check out a play at the Lancaster Performing Arts Center. The Western Hotel is a neat museum downtown, its on the historic register, and is the oldest downtown structure (c. 1888). While you are downtown, it is also worth checking out the childhood home of Judy Garland, it is off of Cedar Avenue, and Milling. (I think its Milling).

One other thing is the Antelope Valley Indian Museum, the county just fixed it up real nice, there is much there. But this is on the far eastern portion of the valley.

I thought I would just give you a short list of cool things to do in the valley, especially since the wildflowers are not quite as impressive this year. If you want any more cool things to see and do, I know of plenty.

If you are planning on having a picnic at Apollo Park, it is also worth checking out the milestones of flight museum there at Fox Field, which is right next to the park. They have some amazing planes.

One other thing, I forgot to mention earlier is War Eagle Field. The Royal Air Force had a training academy out in Lancaster during World War II. It is where they trained their pilots before they went off to war. It now is a county facility, and part of it has been converted to Mira Loma Detention Facility. It has some beautiful old buildings, and neat guard towers from the time of the war. Here is a link to a cool youtube video about it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65OPoQaKDk It is located on Avenue I and 60th Street West. Unfortunately it is not a museum or anything, but you can walk around the grounds, and see some cool things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles