Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You don't have to BS around and be politically correct.

There are more gang violence and crime in cities like El Monte, La Puente, and Baldwin park than in northern cities like Monrovia, Arcadia, Glendora, San Dimas, etc.

These south SGV cities also happen to have some of worst schools in the SGV, and the north SGV cities reputed for low crime rate have some of the best schools.

As mentioned before, Azusa has gangs--and Pasadena definitely has gangs. NW Pasadena/Altadena is infamous for being the "bad" area of Pasadena. No tap dancing around that.

I think Arcadia is the best family-oriented city in the SGV--definitely one of the best in the LA County.
Most Recent Crime Rates From city-data.com:

National Average: 319.1

Some SGV Cities:
El Monte 276.5
Monrovia 197.3
Arcadia 203.3
Duarte 211.1
Whittier 277.7
Baldwin Park 232.0 (Pretty good for a "bad" area.)
Pasadena 240.9
Temple City 116.0 (We have a winner! But somehow it was on your "bad" list.)
La Puente 202.1 (Another one from your "bad" list, but a little lower than Arcadia.)

ALL of these are pretty safe. (Compare them to the national average.) To say Arcadia is very safe is fine, but you don't have to make La Puente, Baldwin Park, and El Monte out to be unsafe in order to do it. The people there might not, on average, have as much education; they might not have as much money - but that doesn't make them bad people, or their neighborhoods unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM

55 posts, read 174,130 times
Right so I should have wrote N. SGV vs N. OC. I find the bums in the park ranting to themselves at a *nice* park in Anaheim to be more bothersome then "gang activity" because as some mentioned above, it doesn't effect most people. Rightly said. Random tagging everywhere that the city doesn't bother to clean up effects my general outlook on how much the city cares. In Anaheim/Stanton they let the bums annoy people, allow construction crews to leave trash and mark danger zones haphazardly, don't bother cleaning up tagging or trash.

I heard from my husband the Pasadena/Monrovia/Arcadia was very on top of things during clean up after the crazy wind storm a few weeks ago. The cops protected the nice houses from possible looting efficiently. This is why I think the N. SGV would be the better place to raise some kids up. I don't care that much about the weather.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post

Some SGV Cities:

Arcadia 203.3
La Puente 202.1 (Another one from your "bad" list, but a little lower than Arcadia.)

ALL of these are pretty safe. (Compare them to the national average.) To say Arcadia is very safe is fine, but you don't have to make La Puente, Baldwin Park, and El Monte out to be unsafe in order to do it. The people there might not, on average, have as much education; they might not have as much money - but that doesn't make them bad people, or their neighborhoods unsafe.
Yes, they do have similar scores... but if you read the charts carefully--La Puente has more robberies and assaults, despite being a smaller city than Arcadia.

A huge chunk of Arcadia's crime is thefts, which I think is generated from the giant Arcadia mall and all the retail stores the city has. Shoplifters.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:59 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,213 times
You've got to take into consideration not all of noc is like stanton/anaheim.
There is a big difference between stanton/garden grove/anaheim compared to brea/fullerton/yorba linda.

I grew up in Fullerton from the age of 6, in a wonderful/safe community with some of the best public schools in the state/nation. I'm obviously biased since having grown up in that area and have never lived in sgv, so can't tell you much about "living" in sgv. Pasadena & South Pasadena are wonderful areas and wouldn't hesitate twice about the areas.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
NOC isnt as good as it's southern neighbors..

Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
NOC isnt as good as it's southern neighbors..
i disagree. i'd choose fullerton, huntington beach or tustin over irvine or mission viejo every day of the week.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post

Some SGV Cities:
El Monte 276.5
Monrovia 197.3
Arcadia 203.3
Duarte 211.1
Whittier 277.7
Baldwin Park 232.0 (Pretty good for a "bad" area.)
Pasadena 240.9
Temple City 116.0 (We have a winner! But somehow it was on your "bad" list.)

Seems N. OC cities are slightly safer although SGV cities are still below average in crime as well

N. OC Cities:

Santa Ana: 244.4
Westminster: 239.3
Fullerton: 238
Anaheim: 230.9

Comparable SGV cities to the above: Pasadena, Baldwin Park, West Covina, Norwalk,

Buena Park: 219.9
Brea: 218.4
Stanton: 213.8
Garden Grove: 211
La Habra: 203.2
Costa Mesa: 195.4

Comparable SGV cities: Rosemead, Alhambra, Arcadia, La Puente, Monrovia

Newport Beach: 160.2
Tustin: 159.4
Placentia: 134.9
Orange: 121.9

Comparable SGV cities: San Gabriel, Claremont, San Dimas, San Marino, Temple City, Walnut

Notable SGV cities with higher crime than the least safe bunch in OC:

Whittier, El Monte, Downey. Montebello

Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,233 times
I agree with Nightscape, I live in Diamond Bar which is close to North OC. I visit Brea often and it's a very nice city. Same with Yorba Linda - and the schools are great. Some areas of Fullerton are quite nice too.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM

55 posts, read 174,130 times
Thanks everyone. I agree that Fullerton/YL/Brea are all very nice but most defiantly expensive and IMHO full of self-important types who shop at the mall for sport and drive BMWs. I'm a bit tired of it, frankly, living in OC most of my adult life and like a change. I want to get away from the whole soccer mom thing too-- which seems very OC to me in general but, I'm trying not to judge. I find the SGV to be a bit of a "diamond in the rough" and am hoping it does have comparable schools and safety. Thank you all so much for all these pros/cons!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM

74 posts, read 131,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post
Thanks everyone. I agree that Fullerton/YL/Brea are all very nice but most defiantly expensive and IMHO full of self-important types who shop at the mall for sport and drive BMWs. I'm a bit tired of it, frankly, living in OC most of my adult life and like a change. I want to get away from the whole soccer mom thing too-- which seems very OC to me in general but, I'm trying not to judge. I find the SGV to be a bit of a "diamond in the rough" and am hoping it does have comparable schools and safety. Thank you all so much for all these pros/cons!

Psst... I was a soccer mom in SGV! Theres a lot of that here! We even have malls that are always packed with those goofy people with which you speak.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles