Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM

55 posts, read 174,092 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to the Monrovia/Arcadia area with my husband and toddler later this year. I currently live in North OC. Every time I mention this to anyone, I never hear anything good about SGV.

So would you fine forumites tell me the pros and cons of living in the San Gabriel Valley vs. North Orange County?

Here are my major concerns:

Gangs/Crime:
Someone just told me gangs are an issue in Monrovia. I live nearby the old "Crows' Village" in Stanton and have heard TERRIBLE things about the gangs here. Anaheim/Santa Ana is also scary with gang activity and crime. I just talked with a friend who was assaulted with a gun in Anaheim. There was a serial killer who was killing homeless people in Anaheim that was just caught. Police in Fullerton beat a homeless/mentally ill man to death. I've not heard one thing about Monrovia/Arcadia/San Marino/Pasadena having these kind of crimes, but I don't live there.

Schools:
I'm not in love with public schools in general so I really don't know what to think about ratings (which can be biased anyhow). But ratings in Monrovia/Arcadia and the area are 9s and 10s, same goes for Cypress in Orange County. However Stanton, Anaheim, Buena Park are not great. Any thoughts on which *really* has the better schools?

Quality of life:
I find North Orange County to be ghetto and ugly EXCEPT if you go near Disneyland and some areas near Cypress, Buena Park, Fullerton. I do like the events the cities hold but have never felt like it's a community at all. The parks are usually full of bums and weirdos hanging out in their cars.

The park in Arcadia that I went to next to Santa Anita Racetrack is AMAZING with squirrels running around. And no bums! Lots of trees and the nearby mountains ranges really make me happy. The community feel of the farmers market and the adorable little shops make it feel unique and homey.

I know the weather is not so great in SGV, in OC, I can sometimes even smell and ocean breeze. The air quality is horrid in SBV as well, but you can't have everything! Any thoughts here would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm having a hard time with this decision to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
North OC is a cultureless, charmless blackhole.

The SGV foothill cities are low in crime, family friendly, and full of history. The mountainous backdrop is stunning--plus you can drive up mountain for real outdoor recreation any time of the year.

The only SGV foothill city I would avoid is Azusa--that's the only city in the area with some gang and crime problems. Monrovia recently has gotten its gang problem under control.

Air quality is fine in the northeast SGV. It CAN be smoggy, but it's not like it's covered in smog all year around.

Arcadia has better schools than Monrovia, and Arcadia has very, very good schools.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
I prefer North OC any day over SGV. Then again in SGV you will be dealing with L.A. traffic so it also depends on where you work.

In regards to the "ghetto" issue you have, basically anywhere in L.A. county you can drive a few miles and the neighborhoods change drastically.

BTW the gangbangers and "ghetto" people also drive.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
My sister has lived in Monrovia for over 20 years. Her kids went through the schools there, and they have never had any trouble with gangs. The schools are mostly adequate (not particularly good), but there is a great community feel, which you have said you like. As mentioned, Arcadia schools are considered better. There is a lot of pressure to do well (in Arcadia), and many kids use private tutors to get up to the schools' expectations. Arcadia has a very low crime rate, but there are gangs there. There are also a lot of squirrels.

Another SGV city with good schools and community, but maybe with less pressure than Arcadia, is Temple City.

The SGV is beautiful except when it's smoggy, and there is nowhere else in California I would rather live. Be sure to explore the foothill canyons, too. (Monrovia Canyon, Bailey Canyon, Millard Canyon)

All of the SGV cities have crime rates below the national average. All of them are visited by coyotes, though, so keep your cats and small dogs indoors at night.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 AM

120 posts, read 480,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I prefer North OC any day over SGV.
i don't live in either, but agree with antarez

Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
You can't get much better than upper Monrovia or Arcadia. It beats the pants off OC. Gangs... forget it, won't be a problem. The schools in Arcadia are among the best in the state. You will be surrounded by gorgeous and incredibly prestigious areas like San Marino and Sierra Madre. It's a win-win for you!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
Everything near the SGV foothill is gold.

Sierra Madre, N. Monrovia, N. Arcadia, Bradbury, N. Glendora, N. San Dimas... even N. Azusa.

Take a drive along the foothill on streets such as Sierra Madre Ave and Foothill Ave--You will see beautiful, charming homes in old, tree-lined neighorhoods.

Every SGV foothill city has a genuine small-town feel. These are also some of the safest cities in the LA County.

The Metro Gold Line light rail is also opening along the foothill cities in 2015. It's a direct $1.50 train ride from Azusa to Pasadena to LA's Union Station. It will also go all the way to Claremont and eventually the Ontario Airport in the future.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
i don't live in either, but agree with antarez
I also do not live in either place, but I DISAGREE with nick & antarez.

I would personally take the SGV foothill communities over north OC all day long.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM

75 posts, read 205,118 times
Well, you all should look on the bright side: anywhere in California is ten times more beautiful than anywhere in Texas. So count yer blessings.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post
I plan to move to the Monrovia/Arcadia area with my husband and toddler later this year. I currently live in North OC. Every time I mention this to anyone, I never hear anything good about SGV.

So would you fine forumites tell me the pros and cons of living in the San Gabriel Valley vs. North Orange County?

Here are my major concerns:

Gangs/Crime:
Someone just told me gangs are an issue in Monrovia. I live nearby the old "Crows' Village" in Stanton and have heard TERRIBLE things about the gangs here. Anaheim/Santa Ana is also scary with gang activity and crime. I just talked with a friend who was assaulted with a gun in Anaheim. There was a serial killer who was killing homeless people in Anaheim that was just caught. Police in Fullerton beat a homeless/mentally ill man to death. I've not heard one thing about Monrovia/Arcadia/San Marino/Pasadena having these kind of crimes, but I don't live there.

Schools:
I'm not in love with public schools in general so I really don't know what to think about ratings (which can be biased anyhow). But ratings in Monrovia/Arcadia and the area are 9s and 10s, same goes for Cypress in Orange County. However Stanton, Anaheim, Buena Park are not great. Any thoughts on which *really* has the better schools?

Quality of life:
I find North Orange County to be ghetto and ugly EXCEPT if you go near Disneyland and some areas near Cypress, Buena Park, Fullerton. I do like the events the cities hold but have never felt like it's a community at all. The parks are usually full of bums and weirdos hanging out in their cars.

The park in Arcadia that I went to next to Santa Anita Racetrack is AMAZING with squirrels running around. And no bums! Lots of trees and the nearby mountains ranges really make me happy. The community feel of the farmers market and the adorable little shops make it feel unique and homey.

I know the weather is not so great in SGV, in OC, I can sometimes even smell and ocean breeze. The air quality is horrid in SBV as well, but you can't have everything! Any thoughts here would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm having a hard time with this decision to move!
[i]have to admit I am very pro the AR/Monrovia area, so I can see the good points. The schools are top notch (certainly AR) the mountains are at your finger tips. As for gangs, you know they can be found everywhere in certain areas, especially the lower economic cities or areas of the cities, this goes for OC as well as Monrovia, etc. The family life is very important in the SGarbriel valley. About the biggest negative would be; there is more smog in SGV than many parts of OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles