Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,680 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

So okay, I've always wanted to be in the Film Industry. I have some experience with my local film production company and I have quite a few friends in LA (Not in the film industry) who keep telling me to come down. I dont want to be an actress I want to work behind the scenes, I'm just curious about others experiences and is it just a lost cause moving there working as a waitress putting my resume' in wherever possible, or is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Your asking this suggests you don't have eye of the tiger, and without that you might as well stay where you are.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,680 times
No, I just have about 4 other options about what I want to do. This has just always been a passion.

I have no doubt that once I make my mind up I will go at it full force.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
You don't know until you try. Just come out but save enough cash for a plan B to return home if it doesn't work.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
What is the worst that can happen? If you can live with that then give it a shot! Make a plan of course.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
I'm not in the industry, but I say make the move to Hollywood and give it a try. You have one life, make the most of it. If it doesn't work out, at least you won't regret you didn't try.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What is the worst that can happen? If you can live with that then give it a shot! Make a plan of course.
Well, a lot could happen. There are so many threads in this forum about people who have made this gamble and failed.

Here, for example, is a recent thread about a woman with a law degree moving to LA, and has run out of money and cant get a job.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-homeless.html

Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 AM

27 posts, read 64,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Well, a lot could happen. There are so many threads in this forum about people who have made this gamble and failed.

Here, for example, is a recent thread about a woman with a law degree moving to LA, and has run out of money and cant get a job.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-homeless.html
I am the "almost homeless" woman. That said, I encourage you to come for the following reasons:

1. I moved to LA in the summer of 2008...right before the economy collapsed. Worst timing ever. Even so, I managed to keep going for 3 1/2 years before it got to a desperate point. You can survive here for some time of you're willing to hustle.

2. It is actually much easier to do production than it is to break into writing, which is what I'm doing. If you have any experience at all, it isn't too difficult to get PA jobs. The pay is terrible, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I agree with the poster who said you only have one life. Follow your dream! If Hollywood doesn't work out, you can pick one of those other three things.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM

68 posts, read 165,927 times
Give it a try, you will learn lot and have a lot of interesting experiences. You ay or my not succeed but you ought to give it a shot. I have family members who worked in the industry. Some made it some didn't, some realized they didn't want to "make it" in the conventional sense. Its a layered world, so dig in!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkinteh View Post

2. It is actually much easier to do production than it is to break into writing, which is what I'm doing. If you have any experience at all, it isn't too difficult to get PA jobs. The pay is terrible, but everyone has to start somewhere.
Just curious -

Doing production work up here in the Bay Area, the starting pay is down there, but gets a big boost when one gets into a union, so that's usually the goal for anyone in it for the long haul. This true in L.A.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles