Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times

Advertisements

ralph's and vons are regular supermarkets, they only sell groceries. walmarts are hard to find in LA, but there are plenty of targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
ralph's and vons are regular supermarkets, they only sell groceries. walmarts are hard to find in LA, but there are plenty of targets.
Not in OP's case. Walmarts in SFV in Panorama City, Northridge, and Woodland Hills.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM
5X5

37 posts, read 109,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan15 View Post

What is a Ralphs or Vons comparable to? Walmart?

Ralphs parent company is Kroger, which I believe you have in SC.

Vons parent company is Safeway.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

When does the weather start to cool down?

Where are some good places to eat around Glendale? I tend to prefer American food. Burgers, steak, etc... Not into sushi or other foreign cuisine.
It cools down in October. It feels like the hottest months are August and September.

Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons are typical large grocery stores find in the LA area. Other Brand stores are Whole Foods, Fresh and Easy, Trader Joes and so many others are scattered in LA.

There are some Walmarts in the LA area, but you get more Target stores in the Glendale/Burbank area. Many Target stores you can get some groceries like milk, OJ, bread, fruit, salads, frozen stuff but not meats.

If you want some chain burger joints: In N Out, 5 Guys , Fatburger, Tommys; not all of these are in Glendale, But I really don't know what is American food besides burgers and hot dogs. When I think American, I think Chinese takeaway, Pizza delivery, Mexican food, Italian food. Sorry,I don't eat much in Glendale unless it's In N Out at the Galleria or pastries from Portos on Brand.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Where are some good places to eat around Glendale? I tend to prefer American food. Burgers, steak, etc... Not into sushi or other foreign cuisine.
You're doing an internship, so I will assume you are in your early 20's. Having said that, your palette will likely change after six months here.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 PM

12 posts, read 18,374 times
I'm not a big Target fan. I might have to start shopping at Trader Joe's locally to get used to the products they sell.

saybanana- Thanks for the fast food list. 5 Guys is really good. What's the story on In N Out? I've heard about them, but never been to one.

You hit the nail on the head with the "American" foods. I'm down with all of those except for Italian.

nslander- Yeah, I'm 21. I'll admit that I'm a fairly picky eater. Just don't see a reason to try stuff when I'm happy with what I eat. That probably sounds crazy. Ha.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
In N Out is a fast food, drive thru or eat in, 50's style and look place. I think InNOut make better burgers than Burger King, McDs or Carls Jr. I like the shakes as well. The prices are pretty much the same. I prefer McDs fries, but to each his own. In N Out takes forever to get your food. They cook the patties which take many minutes, while at other FF places they warm it in under a minute. There is this youtube video, opening day In N Out Texas. Line was insane.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:

If you like "American" fare, then I would suggest "The Habit" which has very delicious hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and grilled tuna sandwiches.

THE HABIT
249 North Glendale Avenue
Glendale, CA 91206

A reviewer on the Yelp website wrote: "The best bbq bacon charburger EVER! and I've tried plenty of places. I managed to enjoy this burger so much that I left the tomato and I think i bit off a piece of pickle and Im not much of a fan of veggies except lettuce on my burgers but I hardly tasted it and more taste on the burger itself. Sweet potato fries are yummy. Onion rings are ok and the place the gets pretty packed on weekends.

Love the employees, they go all out on greeting with you. When your done they'll go up to you and throw your tray away. That is awesome service there compared to other dine in fast food places."

The Habit Burger Grill - Glendale - Glendale, CA

If you're into steaks, then let me suggest Gaucho'S Village (in Glendale) which is a Brazilian-style steak buffet.

GAUCHO'S VILLAGE
411 N Brand Blvd
Glendale, CA 91203

http://gauchosvillage.com/

I hope you enjoy your time in L.A.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

When does the weather start to cool down?

Though I would take SC over Los Angeles to call home anyday, you are in for a fun 6 months I think.

I can't answer all your questions, I am too old to remember and too many years removed. But I can help you with some;

You have picked a good place to live, it is situated in a trendy area with lots to do and not far from your work.

Be sure and try In&Out burgers and Bobs Big boy, if there is still one in that area. In&Out are not gourmet hamburges but probably the best in the world for the money.

Ralph's and Von's are more like Publex (if you have Publex in SC) They are large chains grocery stores, but not discounted like Wal Mart.

The weather will be hot but nothing like SC from early or mid June until Oct.

Enjoy your 6 months, it is a wonderful place for a young college guy to spend some time. Oh, and be sure and route for the Dodgers and USC.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I'm not a big Target fan. I might have to start shopping at Trader Joe's locally to get used to the products they sell.

saybanana- Thanks for the fast food list. 5 Guys is really good. What's the story on In N Out? I've heard about them, but never been to one.

You hit the nail on the head with the "American" foods. I'm down with all of those except for Italian.

nslander- Yeah, I'm 21. I'll admit that I'm a fairly picky eater. Just don't see a reason to try stuff when I'm happy with what I eat. That probably sounds crazy. Ha.
oh, Trader Joe's, they are the best and have some awesome foods as well as decent wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles