Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

102 posts, read 513,633 times

Advertisements

You took a ride through the worst part of the Antelope Valley. From the Metrolink station through East Lancaster and East Palmdale into Lake LA, is a poor, very ethnically diverse area that is not indicative of the valley as a whole. That area is known as the San Fernando of the AV. This area tends to house most of the so-called drains on society you speak of, but it is improving. That said there is truth to CA's terrible mistakes in letting all the criminals getting out early. It will hurt the AV more than some areas, but everywhere is going to see the negative change.

Lancaster is 94 square miles, that is about the size of roughly eight cities in the SFV, it is important to remember that you cannot judge all of the great big area based on sections of our city. I cannot say that the whole San Fernando Valley is an armpit of a place to live just because cities like San Fernando, Reseda, Sylmar, Van Nuys, Canoga Park etc. are. There are nicer parts of the valley including; Woodland Hills and Porter Ranch.

All this said, Lancaster's crime rate is still going down, despite the challenges that CA is providing for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times
My mom is retiring and moving out of state, probably selling her house at a loss. Any idea how long she should hang it to it hoping to get some value? Or will continuing rising fuel prices make the area less attractive to working class folks in the SFV?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM

There is much to consider! Most people up here think that the economy will take four or five years to recover.

It depends on where the home is, and the size, and age of it. If it is a small inexpensive house in a inexpensive part of town, it will not make much difference whether you sell or or hold onto it, because there is not demand for it. If it is a nicer newer home in a desirable part of town, then it would be worth holding onto because those areas will rebound quicker and will more than likely recoup a lot more of their value, than other said areas.

The attractiveness of the High Desert will not wane due to fuel prices. The fact that you can purchase double the house for what you can get in the SFV will continue to be a selling point. Gas prices would have to increase quite a bit more for the viability of commuting to seriously be questioned.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 15,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterisAwesome View Post
[mod]quoting removed[/mod]

Thanks for posting this! Lancaster and Palmdale have come a long way. We have a great sheriffs department, and many citizens that help make this happen! Thanks to everybody.

One thing that is great about Lancaster is so many law enforcement officers live up here, and they want to make it a safe place for their family to live. Many of my neighbors up here are in law enforcement or are now retired. It shows a good sign when lots of law enforcement live in a place.

It is so wonderful to see Lancaster getting good press coverage again! Thanks again for everyone who made this possible. I have lived here for twenty years, and plan on living here for many more years, so I want to help make it the best community it can be.
I agree with your perception to a degree; however, over the last couple months the crime in both the City of Lancaster and Palmdale has increased drastically specially robberies and home brake-ins. It has got to the point that the criminal element is even braking into police officers homes.

Unfortunately, the the current crime statistics DO NOT reflect reality so the establishment of a neighborhood watch and good citizenship is much needed than ever.
God Bless you.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 15,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gdd View Post
Oh great. Here we go again. so criminals and people on probation are aloud to get section 8 before a senior who probably paid taxes all their life and disabled people who needs housing. What a great way to spend my money huh? I got an idea. Why dont i just go commit a crime so i can get on probation, therefore getting approved for section 8. dont you love when crime pays?
I wish those authorities responsible for making such poor decisions would study the crime statistics and the damage they create to the Antelope Valley area by transferring people of questionable character into our Cities. I can fully understand the human aspect of helping and supporting the Senior and the disable with housing etc. BUT allowing the criminal and undesirable element to move into our City via Section 8 is contributing and adding to the crime. Why Palmdale and or Lancaster?, why not send these people to other cities? or at least share the responsibility? There is a saying that if you put garbage in, most likely you will get garbage out. Sorry but that is the truth and it is a proven concept.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakin View Post
I agree with your perception to a degree; however, over the last couple months the crime in both the City of Lancaster and Palmdale has increased drastically especially robberies and home break-ins. It has got to the point that the criminal element is even breaking into police officer's homes.

Unfortunately, the the current crime statistics DO NOT reflect reality so the establishment of a neighborhood watch and good citizenship is much needed than ever.
God Bless you.
I appreciate your thoughts as well. But if you did not know, the state recently let many parolees out of the prison system without serving their full term. This has affected Lancaster and Palmdale, and actually most areas of LA county. This is part of the recent spike we have seen.

The other aspect you have to remember is that Lancaster especially has tried to get the public much more involved in stopping crime, so that is why there is much more coverage than there used to be, and so it seems like there is more crime.

Even with the recent spike crime in both Lancaster and Palmdale crime is still decreasing a lot over all. The cities are uniting against crime more than they ever have in recent history. I completely agree with you that neighborhood watch and good citizenship is needed now more than ever.

God Bless!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 9,092 times
Just as all areas of Palmdale/Lancaster are not alike, so too are people on Sec 8. In any group of people, in any city, any industry or activity there are approximately 20% who screw it up for the 80% who are honestly doing the best they can; when times are difficult it's easy to cast aspersions and blame at those who aren't living up to one's expectations of how others should live. No one knows the truth of another's life. It seems to me a little careful understanding would go further toward keeping the area
free of undesirables than casting all people on Sec 8---many of whom held full-time, good-paying jobs a year or so ago and who have children that bear no responsibility for their situation---in such a dim light. I'm an atheist but I try to live by the golden rule. In the words of Jesus, "Judge not lest ye be judged," or is that too Christian?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 46,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider420 View Post
Just as all areas of Palmdale/Lancaster are not alike, so too are people on Sec 8. In any group of people, in any city, any industry or activity there are approximately 20% who screw it up for the 80% who are honestly doing the best they can; when times are difficult it's easy to cast aspersions and blame at those who aren't living up to one's expectations of how others should live. No one knows the truth of another's life. It seems to me a little careful understanding would go further toward keeping the area
free of undesirables than casting all people on Sec 8---many of whom held full-time, good-paying jobs a year or so ago and who have children that bear no responsibility for their situation---in such a dim light. I'm an atheist but I try to live by the golden rule. In the words of Jesus, "Judge not lest ye be judged," or is that too Christian?

Very well said outrider...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM

116 posts, read 377,914 times
Default Good Job

It seems like even with our Gov messing up the prison system, the AV still has a declining crime rate. I am glad there is at least some good news despite the CA government.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
I wasn't the greatest fan of the high desert when I lived and worked in Bakersfield (covered all of Kern County), but every once in a while I'd get sent down to Lancaster and liked it well enough.

Good news for Lancaster/Palmdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles