Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times

Advertisements

That LA people are unfriendly or cold. I only lived there seven years but most of my best friends are still the folks from LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,979,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
2.Its all about gangbangin'/crime
Los Angeles is no more about that than anyother large urban area.
Per capita, Los Angeles has a lower crime rate than many NorCali cities
that smugly believe that the quality of life in their town is vastly superior.
But then, the L.A. crime rate has steadily dropped during this decade.

This is FACT, not OPINION. The drop in crime is phenomenal and very welcome. Unfortunately, the stereotype persists that LA is a dangerous cesspool of gangs.....

Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
That LA people are unfriendly or cold. I only lived there seven years but most of my best friends are still the folks from LA.
Aye. Please spread the word up there.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
4.Getting around is a Nightmare!
Sure it is anywhere, if you are unfamiliar with the layout. I felt the same way
about San Francisco and Portland, because I am not from those places. But under
all the traffic, Metro L.A. happens to be a perpendicular grid for the most part.
Streets and freeways with a few exceptions, run east, west, north and south with
virtually no twisty curlies and mysterious dead-ends as is the case with Cali's Capitol.
After living here for 10 years full time, and on and off for 15, I completely disagree with this. LA's traffic is awful, and seemingly impossible to track. I sat in a 30 minute backup this morning on the 405, at 10:30am, clearly not rush hour. We have a great freeway system, but the flow is so heavy that a slight hiccup will cause a jam.

Driving around surface streets in west LA seems to always be heavy as well.

Parking nearly anywhere (shopping center, mall, restaurants, etc) on the weekends is always an issue.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,911 times
It's sort of a nightmare, but no more than any other big city... and it's better than most! I'd rather drive in LA than Boston, NYC, or Austin TX personally.

If you're comparing it to some smaller town, then yeah... it's probably a nightmare compared to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
After living here for 10 years full time, and on and off for 15, I completely disagree with this. LA's traffic is awful, and seemingly impossible to track. I sat in a 30 minute backup this morning on the 405, at 10:30am, clearly not rush hour. We have a great freeway system, but the flow is so heavy that a slight hiccup will cause a jam.

Driving around surface streets in west LA seems to always be heavy as well.

Parking nearly anywhere (shopping center, mall, restaurants, etc) on the weekends is always an issue.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
It's sort of a nightmare, but no more than any other big city... and it's better than most! I'd rather drive in LA than Boston, NYC, or Austin TX personally.

If you're comparing it to some smaller town, then yeah... it's probably a nightmare compared to that.
Not in my experience. I've spent a considerable amount of time in SF/Peninsula, Phoenix, and NYC (grew up there) - all have been easier to get around, and less congested when trying to actually 'do things' (run errands, if you will). NYC is close, but significantly less worry about congestion as public transpiration is the norm.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,476 times
1. That everyone is superficial, totally concerned about their looks. My Dad was an engineer and I can assure you nobody was less concerned about how he looked than he was.

2. That everyone (who has a job at all) has a glamorous job where they mingle with celebrities. I've mentioned my Dad. My Mom was a health insurance claims processor. You can hardly imagine a more boring, mundane job.

3. That nobody walks in L.A., as the song goes. My parents live in Studio City, and they are walking distance to many restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. They can walk to Trader Joes and often do so to buy groceries.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,293,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
3. That nobody walks in L.A., as the song goes. My parents live in Studio City, and they are walking distance to many restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. They can walk to Trader Joes and often do so to buy groceries.

This one is probably top 3 in terms of LA stereotypes.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
3. That nobody walks in L.A., as the song goes.
Although the lyrics remain fairly accurate to this day.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
"I wanna live somewhere tropical, like Los Angeles" -Alot of Mid-westerners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles