Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Smoking is off-limits everywhere in L.A. now!

Not true! On a recent visit, at 4am, when there was no traffic, I smoked openly right in the middle of the street in front of my non-smoking hotel, 40 feet from the entrance, and no ticket!
Didn't see the camera? Or maybe LAPD has satellites now. Surely a shocking ticket is on the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The dodgers are one of the most storied franchises in baseball.

Sorry, that is a myth. The team is just sad.
This is proof of how adept insecure NorCali folk are at maintaining negativity towards SoCali while the latter waste so little time even acknowledging NorCali at all. A bewildering phenomenon indeed. [And are you even from Los Angeles, to qualify in this thread?]

Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM

662 posts, read 1,282,429 times
LA has no culture.

You don't hear that said by New Yorkers because most creative people know better. A few do, but it just exposes their own lack of cultural engagement and lack of travel.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 AM

68 posts, read 117,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Didn't see the camera? Or maybe LAPD has satellites now. Surely a shocking ticket is on the way!
Really? I know you're joking around but aside from downtown Burbank, I haven't found any of the laws anywhere else to be that restrictive.
Nearly every other person in the film industry is a current or "recovering" smoker. So that's a large portion of the city. Not to mention everyone else.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:15 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,487 times
LA is a much cleaner city than people give it credit for, also the mountain backdrop and the way the mountains cut through the city makes everything look nicer. So much of the country thinks almost all of LA is third-world and rundown except for Beverly Hills and the like.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM

401 posts, read 767,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
..So much of the country thinks almost all of LA is third-world and rundown ..
alot of it is

Old 03-30-2012, 10:54 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
alot of it is
Ever see a ghetto out East? Or an actual third world ghetto? I know most of L.A.'s streets do not resemble Hancock Parks's, but they're not that bad either.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
...So much of the country thinks almost all of LA is third-world and rundown except for Beverly Hills and the like.
Third-world? No. Rundown? Yeah. A lot of it really is. More so than many think.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Ever see a ghetto out East? Or an actual third world ghetto? I know most of L.A.'s streets do not resemble Hancock Parks's, but they're not that bad either.
"Third-world" is thrown around way too much, and isn't accurate at all. But really, more of LA is run-down and seedy than many outsiders think, and locals care to admit.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM

401 posts, read 767,947 times
yes, I have been to several countries in Africa, so OK, "third-world" is really hyperbole... but "run down" and "seedy" fits.

Another misconception:
people in LA are "laid back"... I think way too many people here are high strung, agitated, and stressed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles