Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Although the lyrics remain fairly accurate to this day.
Hmm I see people walking in my neighborhood constantly, from 6 AM all the way till 3 AM.

Maybe in Reseda or Northridge nobody walks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hmm I see people walking in my neighborhood constantly, from 6 AM all the way till 3 AM.

Maybe in Reseda or Northridge nobody walks...
But you only live there. Visitors freaked out in traffic know better.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
The dodgers are one of the most storied franchises in baseball.

Sorry, that is a myth. The team is just sad.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The dodgers are one of the most storied franchises in baseball.

Sorry, that is a myth. The team is just sad.
That's why they accepted a lowball bid for only $2,000,000,000.

Flail harder.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
But you only live there. Visitors freaked out in traffic know better.
To be fair, LA doesn't have quite the pedestrian traffic of Boston or NY - but very few US cities do.

Then again, my walk to the gym, past Hollywood and Highland can be pretty hellacious - there are few places in the US that can match that kind of pedestrian density.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That's why they accepted a lowball bid for only $2,000,000,000.

Flail harder.
All that money yet very few lights in the stadium parking lot and not enough security to prevent people from being assaulted into a state of comatose. I'd be quick to wait about bragging about the value of the dodgers. When Brian Stow and his lawyers get through with the franchise, it will be worth a few million less.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM

68 posts, read 117,670 times
"LA has no culture, is vapid, blah, blah, blah."- I'm sure you've heard it all before.
Los Angeles has so much culture oozing from it that it's nearly impossible to define.
From old Hollywood (which, despite stereotypes, is endlessly interesting) and all of the people who still live in the shadow of it's past, to Hispanic culture (which is probably most influential), to Asian culture of all types, black culture, a vital core of music, to growing independent artists and filmmakers, ...and on and on and on. Even the very large homeless population has in it many creative and fascinating people.
Any city with a place like "The Museum of Jurassic Technology" is the antithesis of vapid in my book. I know that Werner Herzog would agree with me.
So, in the end, the stereotype is complete nonsense, fueled by ignorance and/or resentment. Ironically, it's probably Hollywood itself that's primarily to blame for this stupid stereotype, with the obsession of one percent of the population and how they live taking precedence over the rest of the population of the city, which, really, is much more interesting.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
All that money yet very few lights in the stadium parking lot and not enough security to prevent people from being assaulted into a state of comatose. I'd be quick to wait about bragging about the value of the dodgers. When Brian Stow and his lawyers get through with the franchise, it will be worth a few million less.
You: "The Dodgers not one of the most storied teams in baseball".
Me: "They just fetched a bid 2 for billion dollars on the market, the highest in professional sports history."
You: "I'm going to exploit an atrocity to further my point. Wait until we sue."

Stowe courtesy moratorium is over towards ya'll. Some of the most miserable people on the face on the Earth are No Cal sports fans, especially as it concerns LA. Case in point: why are you even expressing an opinion on this subject in this forum? It would never occur me in a 56-year Giant World Series cycle to do that on the SG forum.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
5.The people are rude and unfriendly.
I hear this whine all the time from people who didnt grow up in L.A.
"They dont greet you or even look at you on the street." While this might be true
sometimes, it doesnt mean that people arent friendly. The natives are
not nosey. Even if they care whats going on around them, they mind their own business.
They dont get in your face unless you started some hatred. If they helped you in an
emergency, it doesnt mean youre now beer buddies either.
People in the LA area are ridiculously nice and friendly compared to in the Bay Area or any east coast city or Chicago. I'm always getting into conversations with random people at the checkout line anywhere I go, especially in Long Beach or Orange County, and often when I walk down the street random people say hi. In the Bay Area people are unfailingly polite but that is as far as it goes, people there really don't like talking to strangers, though considering all the whackos on the street especially in SF you can see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Driving around surface streets in west LA seems to always be heavy as well.

Parking nearly anywhere (shopping center, mall, restaurants, etc) on the weekends is always an issue.
SF is the same, parking is impossible any time of day, and traffic is always heavy. It's just a much smaller area compared to greater LA, and is a heckuva lot more walkable in general.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
SF is the same, parking is impossible any time of day, and traffic is always heavy. It's just a much smaller area compared to greater LA, and is a heckuva lot more walkable in general.
Definitely don't disagree if we're talking about the city of SF - but you're right, much smaller and more walkable. Taking the 'bay area' into account, which (in my opinion) is more comparable to the LA Metro area, it doesn't seem as congested. Once you get outside the city, its much easier to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles