Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:22 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,214 times

Advertisements

Well I'm very set on this LA move by the time it's cold again here in the midwest (september/october). I would like to save an extra 3 or 4k before making the move, and I'll have close to 10k.

With that said, I will be living on a budget when I arrive there. I'd like to live somewhere at least within a $15 cab ride each way to some bars & nightlife.

I typically date older (or cougars as they call themselves). Somewhere that has some bars, lounges, and coffee shops, concentrated in a smaller area.

I was thinking possibly NoHo arts district or Silverlake. Both seem to have affordable apartments nearby (via LA standards). I would love to be close to the nightlife on Sunset or West LA...but that simply will not be affordable.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
I don't mean this as rude or sarcastic in any way, but "$15 cab ride each way to some bars & nightlife." is nearly everywhere in los angeles county.

It sounds like you're planning on moving here without a job, so can you provide us with a bit more information your plan after you arrive so we can help you pick a location?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 AM

I can find a job and I'm willing to be underemployed, if necessary (sales background and 4 year degree). I know there's always some sort of nightlife to be found...but I meant in terms of somewhere that had an entire block of nightlife, opposed to just random places.

Right now, I live in Iowa and a cab ride to go somewhere even 5 miles away will cost you around $20. Maybe it's because there aren't many cabs here...I'm not sure. Prices seemed more reasonable in Chicago when I lived there.

I assumed LA would be more expensive.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
what is your budget and what are your living requirements?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM

1000 per month max rent. Living requirements are simple...small place is fine, working appliances, and in a relatively safe location.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I'd like to live somewhere at least within a $15 cab ride each way to some bars & nightlife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I would love to be close to the nightlife on Sunset or West LA...but that simply will not be affordable.
The trouble with the major clubs on Sunset in West Hollywood, is that there is so much traffic around them - even at 1AM - that a cab ride can be very expensive. I was with some friends at a hotel on Sunset, and what we thought would be a $15 cab ride, turned into a $50 cab ride - luckily there were four of us to split it, so it wasn't a big deal, but if you're solo, I can't imagine wanting to pay $100 round trip very often, just to get to a club.

If you want a $15 cab ride, I would suggest living fairly close to whatever area you want to socialize in! You mentioned Silverlake, and there are lots of great little bars in Los Feliz - so it is possible to stick close to home and still have a social life in LA!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Do you have to live alone or would you be willing to split a two bedroom?

Wouldn't do NoHo. Some nightlife in the valley but minimal compared to over the hill.

Silverlake is an option and there are tons of bars in Silverlake and neighboring Los Feliz. They tend to cater to a more artsy alternative scene.

So is Hollywood - not the most desirable part, but if you go east of Vine you can find studio type apartments for 1000. And that will be a cheap cab ride, if not walking distance to all of Hollywood's hot clubs.

If you're willing to do a two bedroom for around 2000, you could live anywhere in Hollywood and even parts of West Hollywood which is the nightlife center in greater LA

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
if you like older mama's you should try to get as close to Marina Del Rey as possible. The cougars tend to shy away from hip Hollywood lounges/clubs because they look.... well, aged in a sea of 20-somethings. Culver City could work with $1k/month if you shared a 2 bedroom with someone.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,835 times
just so you know a cab is 50 buck each way from Noho to WeHo..... thats $100 ....... and if you go out a lot you are going to end up paying more in cab fairs then in rent. I suggest you either drive and watch your drinking or live closer to where you intend to Hang 10

Old 05-11-2012, 02:38 PM

I'd be willing to split a two-bedroom. I've been on some roommate search websites (with pictures and all), but the men that have messaged me seem to have an "interest", and the women don't seem like the kind I would want to live with.

Ideally, I would like to have a roommate I actually enjoy being around. Even with work and all, you still do see a lot of that person.

Is there anywhere that's known for "adult film industry" nightlife? I thought it might be the Valley, since everything seems concentrated there for that business. Keep in mind, it's only something I want to explore while there, and not some goal of mine. I would like to be close to nightlife, but still not that far from the Valley. I will say, there are so many cops in LA when you combined LAPD, CHP, and LASD - I'd prefer to be close to everything and not have to worry about driving. You go out with people, even 2 or 3 drinks is enough to get you in trouble. Simply not worth the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles