Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 AM

17 posts, read 75,033 times

Advertisements

I moved to Belmont Shore not too long ago but it is a bit too quiet for me here. I've heard the same about San Diego, so had planned to move to Los Angeles where I can see a lot of music and enjoy the nightlife no matter what day of the week it is. I was hoping to get some different recommendations on a good LA neighborhood and thank you for your time and any input. A bit about me:

* 36 year old single white male.
* Currently paying $1,300 per month. Comfortable paying that.
* I work out of my house and prefer public transportation to car ownership so walking distance to groceries, entertainment and laundromat is good.
* I like an urban vibe (so Santa Monica is probably not for me), and am a down-to-earth midwestern kid at heart.
* I like that it is cooler around here by the beach but LOOOVE concerts, clubbing, and parties. Venice Beach seems cool for the 1st thing, but West Hollywood seems better for the former.
* I am straight and saw statistics that West Hollywood has way more men than women. (Too bad because I would love to be by the WhiskeyAGoGo and the Roxy.) But could a straight guy get dates in a hood that ranks in the top 1 percent for men but only the top 17 percent for women?
* While I mention some neighborhoods here, I bet there are cool areas within Los Angeles that I am unfamiliar with that I could check out based on your recommendations.

Thanks again, City Data folks, on recommending a neighborhood or two to someone who needs more music and nightlife very soon. I do appreciate your input always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Check out Silverlake. That is the current home to the LA indie rock scene it seems. Walkability of the neighborhood depends on how close to Sunset Blvd you are, but along Sunset there are many, many shops and restaurants. Lots of 20 and 30 something hipsters there everytime I'm on that side of town. Also, plenty of concerts to go to at Spaceland and The Echo. It's also conveniently located between Hollywood and Downtown, so you have those options as well nearby.

As for Santa Monica, I'm not sure why you would not live there because of your preference for an urban vibe. Much of Santa Monica is very urban. in fact, I checked walkscore.com for my address and it got a 94 out of 100. I'm not sure many places in the city of LA score that high, certainly not many. However, SM is expensive and its doubtful you'll find a decent 1br apartment for $1300.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
I'm Hollywood adjacent and there always seems to be live music (the Music Box for example) and of course the Club scene any night of the week...live theatre too if you're into it (Cahuenga). Stay right around Franklin and it's walkable and has good vibe. Hollywood Heights is great as it's right behind Hollywood and Highland but you'd have to walk up and down a steep hill...great views though. There's a great building at the corner of Franklin and Cherokee that looks like a Norman castle and the rent is fairly reasonable (can't think of the name). They've got "for rent" signs out now.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
and the santa monica bus runs at all hours of the morning/dawn. silver lake, closer to the 2 bus. seems ideal.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaceman71 View Post
I moved to Belmont Shore not too long ago but it is a bit too quiet for me here. I've heard the same about San Diego, so had planned to move to Los Angeles where I can see a lot of music and enjoy the nightlife no matter what day of the week it is. I was hoping to get some different recommendations on a good LA neighborhood and thank you for your time and any input. A bit about me:

* 36 year old single white male.
* Currently paying $1,300 per month. Comfortable paying that.
* I work out of my house and prefer public transportation to car ownership so walking distance to groceries, entertainment and laundromat is good.
* I like an urban vibe (so Santa Monica is probably not for me), and am a down-to-earth midwestern kid at heart.
* I like that it is cooler around here by the beach but LOOOVE concerts, clubbing, and parties. Venice Beach seems cool for the 1st thing, but West Hollywood seems better for the former.
* I am straight and saw statistics that West Hollywood has way more men than women. (Too bad because I would love to be by the WhiskeyAGoGo and the Roxy.) But could a straight guy get dates in a hood that ranks in the top 1 percent for men but only the top 17 percent for women?
* While I mention some neighborhoods here, I bet there are cool areas within Los Angeles that I am unfamiliar with that I could check out based on your recommendations.

Thanks again, City Data folks, on recommending a neighborhood or two to someone who needs more music and nightlife very soon. I do appreciate your input always!
Have you take the bus to downtown LB at all. It's pretty urban and I know they have a bunch of clubs, laugh factory, etc. down there.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Have you take the bus to downtown LB at all. It's pretty urban and I know they have a bunch of clubs, laugh factory, etc. down there.
Yes. I do go there/have been there...many times. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:18 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
The only hoods I'd really recommend are the ones near the whole Silver Lake/Hollywood nexus. That area, in addition to being hip and eclectic (with a tiny bit of bohemian, too) is stocked with good housing options (lots of architectural gems, too), heaps of hipsters/artists/musicians/young people , a plethora of festivals/parties/concerts/etc and check this one out...decent transit options! (Metro Red Line stop at Sunset/Vermont).

Mass Transit in LA is pretty pathetic, so don't fool yourself into thinking you can live a decent life without a car-you'll be VASTLY limited in terms of places you can go (and I don't count a 2 hour ride along Wilshire Blvd in a bus mass transit). The proponents of this foolishness are city boosters spoonfeeding you lies (I take mass transit, I would know).

Here are some pics of the Los Feliz/SL area (all taken by me)

Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Nice pics. I lived in Los Feliz my first couple months back with no car and did just fine. I still take it to my office in WeHo when I don't feel like doing the drive: it takes me approximately 7-5 minutes more taking Metro. Regarding Wilshire: yes, taking the bus there is a nightmare.

I love the vibe in LFV and it's turned out to be a great place to hang my hat.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,297 times
I can't praise Los Feliz enough. I've been here three months and love it. Great energy, great mix of people. Hip, urban, and safe! Hollywood to the west, Silverlake to the east. Great cultural life as well. Check it out.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM

Thank you for your beautiful pictures, KING OF THE HILL. Coming fresh from Chicago's Loop, my favorite is the Red Line.

MSNORMAN67, hmmm if Los Feliz was good enough for Charles Bukowski and Swingers, well.... MsNorman, how is the public transportation in Los Feliz? Would I first have to work my way to Silver Lake and then go from there to Santa Monica, or the Red Line, or etc? Thank you, you two, et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles