Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Regarding stoves, I also do not supply them in my units, but when a tenant moves in, I and only I do the gas hookup.
I would never leave that to a tenant to do.
Bob.
Give us a list of the apartments you own so we can steer clear of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:39 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And there's millions of people living in 1960's - 1980's era complexes, duplexes, 4 plexes, etc. that DON'T include refridgerators.
Yeah I'm wondering where all these new Class A apartments are for under 3k a month? The vast majority of complexes I've seen make it look like nothing new has been built in LA in the last several decades. But I'm somewhat skewed coming from a city where most things are either torn down after twenty years or filled with low income renters.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I'm moving from Houston to Los Angeles (the two cities seem to swap people often) and I'm noticing that most apartments come without fridges. Why is that? Is this just something someone thought up as a way to add extra fees (most places will rent you one for 30 bucks/month) or is there a good reason why they don't provide them? It all seems very strange...
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Agree with Bob on this.

Let me add, Tenants in California like to sue their landlords for all kinds of reasons...If a tenant happened to start feeling ill at some point of their residency, I could see any type of refrigerator or bedding to be used as a source.

After testing that refrig, if anything was discovered, anything at all...the landlord would be held responsible. For that reason, landlords do not provide refrigerators, Mattresses, and in most cases any kind of furniture.

A property owner has no control over what is placed into a refrigerator and bacteria that could develop, so they dont provide a possible liability hazard to the tenants. .
I won't question a Californians tendency to want to sue, however, that is a BS excuse not to include a fridge in the unit. When you sign a lease/rental contract you are agreeing to the conditions laid out in that lease/contract. It is a binding document. A landlord can include a line or two indicating that the tenant is responsible for the maintenance of the fridge and the landlord is not to be held liable if tenant gets sick from spoiled food or what-ever. It's common sense....

...at least in the rest of the country. I'm sure, though, that LA has deemed "agreeing" to the terms of a lease inhumane or something

The truth is that landlords who do not supply refrigerators are doing so because they want to minimize their operating costs. It's not cheap to own an apartment building. From a renter's perspective it's one of the reasons to rent (vs. own).

To be honest though, I would have rather had bought my own fridge in at least half of the apartments I have lived in than use the one provided. Not that they were gross or anything, they were all nice and clean when I moved in. It's just that they tended to be on the cheaper side of what-ever brand they were. There is nothing wrong with a basic, no frills, fridge, mind you. It's just they were either too big or too small for my needs...or the freezer was too small...or the crisper drawer was too small...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Not providing a fridge in this day and age is completely ridiculous. You might as well not provide walls or a roof or a floor or running water because "it costs too much and someone might scratch the paint." It just strikes me as a local eccentricity that LA has never grown out of. If someone damages something, that's what the security deposit is for. Cleaning a fridge is not that big of a deal.
it is ultimately up to the landlord and I am sure they would have their reasons but from my opinion not providing a fridge equals a lazy landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Even worse, I've heard of some landlords not supplying a stove either.
I have seen a few of these. And passed before I could inquire why.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I'm moving from Houston to Los Angeles (the two cities seem to swap people often) and I'm noticing that most apartments come without fridges. Why is that? Is this just something someone thought up as a way to add extra fees (most places will rent you one for 30 bucks/month) or is there a good reason why they don't provide them? It all seems very strange...

LOL... what a funny thread and so true. When I moved to LA and rented for several years there was never a refrigerator. There were some places that would charge you more to have one, but you were better off buying your own.

It is ridiculous.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I paid $100.00 about 4 yrs ago for a 1996 whirlpool fridge. Last summer i thought it was a goner but i smacked the temp switch a few times & its been working good since. Keeping the temp setting just right is vital esp during the long & hot summer months.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:31 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Yrs ago i knew a lady who was moving her fridge to clean behind it & the fridge fell on her. She died not long after the accident.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM

396 posts, read 906,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Regarding stoves, I also do not supply them in my units, but when a tenant moves in, I and only I do the gas hookup.
I would never leave that to a tenant to do.
Bob.
Wonder what else you're cheap with. Would hate to be in your building in an Earthquake! And yea, please give us a list of your properties so we can avoid them.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
It never occurred to me that an apartment should come with a refrigerator until I came across this thread. A refrigerator should be an appliance that one owns - unless they want to rent one independent of the apartment lease. Thanks for the heads up - if I ever am renting outside California - I will be sure to avoid any apartment where a refrigerator comes standard.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM

50 posts, read 111,299 times
When I was apartment hunting with my wife we saw an apartment in person with no fridge, and I saw a couple online without fridges - at the time I figured it was because they were between tenants and probably upgrading. Now I know better!

I agree, let's see a list of Bob's properties we can avoid in the future.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 PM

50 posts, read 111,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
if I ever am renting outside California - I will be sure to avoid any apartment where a refrigerator comes standard.
So every apartment?

Why would one want to haul around such a huge, heavy appliance that can be relatively easily cleaned? It makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles