Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambone321 View Post
Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there... because there is no life there~!@#$%^&*(
Peoria, OTOH, is outta control!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambone321 View Post
Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there... because there is no life there~!@#$%^&*(
huh?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM

It is the same concept as hating the star athlete who also is at the top of their class academically.

Truth of the matter is that no matter what your lifestyle or preferences, you can find it in California which is more than I can say for about 60% of the other states in the union.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM

58 posts, read 146,559 times
Most people don't hate LA. Most people don't think about LA any more than they think about Disney World. It's a tourist attraction and a marketed image.
LA is neither a utopia nor a dystopia. LA is banality. Hundreds of square miles of mundane suburbs. That's not all there is by any means, but that's what most of it is.
Beverly Hills and Malibu combined are less than 1% of the County's population. Throw in a big town like Santa Monica and you're over 1% but still not at 2%. LA has far more brown people working in ugly warehouses than beautiful people working creatively.
What is annoying about "LA culture" is the self-adoration and self-glamorization, and the disregard for fact and evidence that sustains it.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolberg View Post
Most people don't hate LA. Most people don't think about LA any more than they think about Disney World. It's a tourist attraction and a marketed image.
LA is neither a utopia nor a dystopia. LA is banality. Hundreds of square miles of mundane suburbs. That's not all there is by any means, but that's what most of it is.
Beverly Hills and Malibu combined are less than 1% of the County's population. Throw in a big town like Santa Monica and you're over 1% but still not at 2%. LA has far more brown people working in ugly warehouses than beautiful people working creatively.
What is annoying about "LA culture" is the self-adoration and self-glamorization, and the disregard for fact and evidence that sustains it.
Brown people working in ugly warehouses comprise a culture that promotes self-adoration and glamorization.

Got it.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
He's right, you know. Whenever I'm on my way out to the ugly warehouse to beat some of my brown people, I can't help but stop at a mirror to engage in a few minutes worth of adoration and reflection on just how glamorous I am.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
He's right, you know. Whenever I'm on my way out to the ugly warehouse to beat some of my brown people, I can't help but stop at a mirror to engage in a few minutes worth of adoration and reflection on just how glamorous I am.
I have to admire your hands-on approach. I usually have my publicist beat the help for me.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I have to admire your hands-on approach. I usually have my publicist beat the help for me.
I got "people" for that.

"Take care of that 'thing' for me."

Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolberg View Post
You can say that about a lot of places.

You can also say Chicagos South Loop up through Lincoln Park combined make up less than 1% of Cook Counties population. Throw in all the hipster neighborhoods on the north side and its still not at 2%. Chicago has far more bombed out impoverished 99% black neighborhoods replete with vacant lots/urban prairies and boarded up factories segregated from 3rd and 4th generation white Catholics living in suburbs with identical brick ranches built than people living the "urban" lifestyle living in their hip urban loft or fancy high rise shopping on Michigan Ave and going to Jazz clubs.

And the last sentence can describe Chicago perfectly.

Not to pick on Chicago, but any major city/metro area can be described that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles