Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times

Advertisements

I just got home from being out with people after a long hike in the hills and canyons today, and I thought of a theory as to why people don't like LA.

For people who want a "real city" with high density and public transportation to allow them to live in an urban bubble like Manhattan, Downtown Chicago, etc. LA is not "city" enough for them.

For those who are primarily interested in suburban or small town living, maximizing the size of a house or lot or yard/quality of public schools for the lowest price, there are too few areas in southern California that suit them, so they are attracted to Texas cities, other areas in the sunbelt, or even suburban areas of midwest/east coast metros.

For those who primarily are looking for the maximum outdoor lifestyle, there are too many people in southern California, that the mountains, desert, etc. don't quite do it for them the way the empty wilderness of the intermountain west of Pacific northwest. Or maybe looking for totally unspoiled beaches, or whatever.

But the thing about LA and Southern California, is that all these elements are all mixed together in a unique way. But most people like one that it TOTALLY one of these three. (or maybe even has two of the three).

What do you think?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 AM

215 posts, read 490,847 times
That is an interesting take and I believe it may be partially true, however I am of a different opinion. I think people hang out in NYC, Chicago, etc... and then watch movies with LA and they start to believe that LA is Chicago or NYC only with warm weather, period. In reality it is its own city. Also some people move here thinking its going to be paradise and then they end up broke living in a lower middle class neighborhood and all of sudden LA has lost its glamour. You have to come here with an open mind and be ready to work hard. My two cents.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I just got home from being out with people after a long hike in the hills and canyons today, and I thought of a theory as to why people don't like LA.

For people who want a "real city" with high density and public transportation to allow them to live in an urban bubble like Manhattan, Downtown Chicago, etc. LA is not "city" enough for them.

For those who are primarily interested in suburban or small town living, maximizing the size of a house or lot or yard/quality of public schools for the lowest price, there are too few areas in southern California that suit them, so they are attracted to Texas cities, other areas in the sunbelt, or even suburban areas of midwest/east coast metros.

For those who primarily are looking for the maximum outdoor lifestyle, there are too many people in southern California, that the mountains, desert, etc. don't quite do it for them the way the empty wilderness of the intermountain west of Pacific northwest. Or maybe looking for totally unspoiled beaches, or whatever.

But the thing about LA and Southern California, is that all these elements are all mixed together in a unique way. But most people like one that it TOTALLY one of these three. (or maybe even has two of the three).

What do you think?
I think there's a lot of truth to this. For many "city" people, "city" means East Coast-style city, and LA's version of city is very different -- still very urban, but not urban in a familiar way (and often in a less sanitized, easy way than many other American cities). For those looking for a more suburban lifestyle, LA is too dense, lots too small, too concrete-filled, not very green.

I think the visible, stark contrast between the rich and the poor (far more visible than if you, say, live in Manhattan) can also be disconcerting. You have some of the most visible, conspicuous displays of extreme wealth, and then you have Skid Row. For those looking for the California dream, the unedited, real-life experience of traveling around LA can feel pretty gritty, and that makes many people uncomfortable.

I think the key to appreciating LA is to take it for what it is. It IS a major, big city, but it's not on the more "traditional" East Coast American city model. I love LA (would move back there in an instant if I could!), but it's necessarily an easy place to intuitively understand.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,242 times
Like it or not, most people outside LA has a kind of deep subconscious disdain for LA, that's why in every road game the Lakers play, the entire crowd always ends up shouting "Beat LA! Beat LA! Beat LA!" over and over as some kind of subconscious public display of disdain and dislike, not neccessarilty towards the Lakers, but to the city of Los Angeles itself which the Lakers just happen to represent. You don't hear people shouting "Beat Boston!" or "Beat Chicago!" when those teams play in other cities do you? No, just LA.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:05 PM

49 posts, read 72,396 times
I think you have a point. Los Angeles has always been a unique place for better or for worse. I think the politics here are also a part of it. I've met a few midwesterners who experienced a little bit of a culture shock when visiting for the first time. Overall though, I think people just have different tastes and LA isn't for everyone.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Like it or not, most people outside LA has a kind of deep subconscious disdain for LA
I'm a native of the area and am glad I got to experience it that way. If I would have to move there as an adult from Indianapolis or Kansas City, and then make an adjustment, I don't think I would have liked that. For me, it's a my baseline. When you move away, you realize that Los Angeles can be very shallow. I said "can be." If you can find a neighborhood, a place of work, and a circle of friends that aren't wired that way, then it can be a great place to live. The weather is phenomenal and there is so much to do. The latter could also be a reason for the disdain, which is actually jealousy.

Quick story. While in grad school, I was no longer from LA, as my family had relocated out of SoCal. I had to go to a dinner with some fellow students for a professional function. One of the students and I didn't have such great chemistry - completely different backgrounds.
At dinner:
Professional from industry: "So, where are you from?"
Me: "Im from ...(cut off)
Other grad student: (interrupts) "He's from ELL AYY."

Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I don't think that's it. It seems almost every inland area of California is full of suburbia. From the North to the South. If people were NOT interested in suburbia, they wouldn't move there. If anything, it's the prices driving them out to Texas and the sunbelt. Not because they couldn't find what they were looking for.

Quote:
People move to southern California for those precise reasons. They don't move out because of them. The outdoor lifestyle and weather and geography are the major reasons why I'm relocating there. But I agree about the too many people thing. I think the main reasons people move out is because Los Angeles is just dirty and overcrowded and full of illegals. I imagine it makes it difficult to enjoy the mountains, beaches, and desert when smog overcast is always looming and toxic particles are being inhaled into your body day in and day out. Also the crowds. Too many hipsters, wannabe actors, and illegals clogging up traffic. Brings down the quality of life. Nobody wants to live that for the rest of their lives. And who could make a living when illegals are taking all the jobs?

Quote:

What do you think?
I don't think that's it at all. Los Angeles is the problem with most people. It usually has nothing to do with the rest of southern California.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM

203 posts, read 576,997 times
That makes sense, but that's only a small part of why they hate L.A. from what I see.

First thing I'd say is that yeah, people from different Regions/cities hate us for different reasons, but the design of the city probably doesn't make them hate it as much as our culture and lifestyle..and I'd really blame TV and movies for that.

Some folks see us as lazy "beach bums" who really just sit around tanning all day. Some see our Blacks and Mexicans as ALL being ghetto hoodlums, including folks inside of L.A., because that's what the movies show. The main thing I hear is about how fake and superficial we are...and although we know that it's true in some areas and for some people, it definitely doesn't describe the ENTIRE city.

A lot of people see us as being spoiled too, especially with weather. If it's too hot (over 90 degrees) we complain...if it's under 60, it's too cold to us, and we complain. That's not our fault though!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
Take Houston, it is like LA but wealthier but with limited natural resources.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Take Houston, it is like LA but wealthier but with limited natural resources.
Wealthier? What planet are you living on??? The Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown MSA's gross domestic product (GDP) is $385 billion. Los Angeles MSA: $831 Billion. Slight Gap

This right here is a fine example of what contributes to people bashing LA all the time. They think they know something about it which they don't. I don't go around making broad assumptions about things or places I've never seen or no nothing about. Why does Los Angeles fall victim to this more than any other American City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles