Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I wanted to go check out the historic broadway section of L.A.

So I went to los feliz then it turned into vermont and then kept going and made a left on wilshire towards downtown.

Everything is going smoothly(with exception of constant stopping). I make it to downtown and realize that it's a crazy maze of one ways and sudden lane endings resulting in you realizing that the street doesn't continue and the cars in front of you are facing your direction and you can only turn right.

I could not find broadway, and could not find any parking. No meters, or any sanely priced public parking spaces. It was pretty much a waste of a day and a waste of gas. Wasn't that good today anyway. It was hot hazy and too much traffic. I ended up just wondering and then left.

Moral:

Prepare before you go to downtown, it will save you alot of time.

So with that I ask one question, what is the best public parking in DTLA??
Moral: Take the subway. (or the like 500 bus lines that run to DTLA)

It's funny that you started a thread complaining about the supposed lack of urbanity of LA, and then can't handle the traditional urban part of the city

But seriously, driving a car is the devil's handiwork.

EDIT: My wife does do some work downtown, she usually is in court for a few hours and it's usually around 15 bucks. I think she parks in a lot near 6th and Hope or 6th and Flower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
The lot I referred to is 6 bucks before 10am, 8 bucks after that. All day rates. On weekends the rate is 5 bucks a day.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM

55 posts, read 151,483 times
An easy way to see downtown without parking is to take the red line subway to the Pershing Square stop which is one block from the historic Broadway area

Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
^^^^this.

Lot on Main St just south of St Vibianas at 2nd street is $6 all day as is the lot at Los Angeles and 2nd.

Lot at 8th and Hope is also $6.

Tons of lots along Main and Spring in this price range also.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
I live in atwater, what is the closest station? And is there anywhere safe I can park my car?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM

180 posts, read 327,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I know, it was expected. But damn is it insane. 20 bucks for one hour. Do you know the best times to actually go there?
Go on the weekends. Downtown LA is a ghost town. The LA Mall closes at 5 on friday and doesn't open on the weekend. I took my engagement photos there and it looked like Inception lol

Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
The LA Mall?! I wouldn't be searching the Triforium for a hot time.

There be lots more to do downtown than hang out there. Even 7th and Spring (where 'Inception' was really filmed) has more going on IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
Go on the weekends. Downtown LA is a ghost town. The LA Mall closes at 5 on friday and doesn't open on the weekend. I took my engagement photos there and it looked like Inception lol

Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 PM

135 posts, read 476,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Downtown Los Angeles is pretty much laid out on a grid. The only "dead end" street that comes to mind is Hope Street which is interrupted by the Central Library.

Once you get used to the one-way streets....downtown LA is NOT a difficult downtown to navigate. Try downtown Boston if you really want to get confused.

You came downtown and are complaining about traffic and high parking costs? That is like going to the beach and complaining about hot sun and sand.
You got that right SalP about DT Boston. I left here in 2001 for LA and left LA in 2009 and now I'm back here in Boston. I feel sorry for any non-resident who thinks he/she can take on DT Boston even with GPS. Streets here are not for the faint of heart.

I feel certain the phrase "You Can't Get There From Here!" was first uttered by someone trying to navigate DT Boston. LA is a dream compared to Boston streets. Not only are the streets here mean, they're nasty!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
It would be amazing if I lived in hollywood. Wish glendale had a subway station.. Or does it?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkatmu View Post
Park at a Park and Ride and take Metro into downtown. $1.50 each way or $5 for unlimited ride day pass.
Agreed.

[you're going to be walking the historic areas anyway - I hope]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles